The Student Room Group

Can we talk about the 40% PGCE drop out rate? Anyone here dropped out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hey- I don't think the poster you've quoted is still active on the site unfortunately.

Have you thought about starting a new thread to get some support/advice about your own situation?

What is making you think of dropping out?

Thanks for the info! I have started a new thread PGCE Geography - Help needed. Hopefully i get a bit of help there! Please do have a look if you feel you could give me some good advice. Here is the link... https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/my-new-category/pgce-geography-help-needed
Original post by Nrp17mls
Thanks for the info! I have started a new thread PGCE Geography - Help needed. Hopefully i get a bit of help there! Please do have a look if you feel you could give me some good advice. Here is the link... https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/my-new-category/pgce-geography-help-needed

Hi,

Sorry, this link isn't working for me- I'm not quite sure where you've posted the thread.

I'm going to report the post and hopefully someone can fix it for you.
Reply 442

This thread may have some useful advice: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3716881#primary_content

It's old, so unlikely anyone there would reply (though you might like to private message or post on the wall of the person who just posted to it four days ago if you think they could help - Taco2020) but it still might have some useful thoughts that can help you.

I'm happy to help anyway I can, but I probably won't be too much help! I completed my PGCE and though it was tough, really enjoyed it. But have since quit teaching. I taught Primary (Nursery age!). Ask away if you have any questions.

Hi, your thread got posted in the wrong place before - I've just found it. I've reposted this for you here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5721238
I really wish I'd dropped out. Not a day goes by where I don't regret doing my PGCE. I only did it because everyone else around me said I'd wanted to be a teacher for so long, despite knowing I didn't want to teach after actually working in a school. I wish I'd done a masters degree more relevant to my actual degree, like in translation, but there's no way in hell I'll be able to afford it! I just feel so broken :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 445
Original post by super_kawaii
I really wish I'd dropped out. Not a day goes by where I don't regret doing my PGCE. I only did it because everyone else around me said I'd wanted to be a teacher for so long, despite knowing I didn't want to teach after actually working in a school. I wish I'd done a masters degree more relevant to my actual degree, like in translation, but there's no way in hell I'll be able to afford it! I just feel so broken :frown:

Sorry that you're having a tough time right now :frown:. Remember, there are always opportunities - and in a few years you may be in a job you love that wouldn't have worked out if you hadn't done the PGCE.

Feel free to reply or DM if you want to talk more.
Original post by kpwxx
Sorry that you're having a tough time right now :frown:. Remember, there are always opportunities - and in a few years you may be in a job you love that wouldn't have worked out if you hadn't done the PGCE.

Feel free to reply or DM if you want to talk more.

I've already finished my PGCE and I so wish I hadn't even applied! Worst thing is I knew I didn't want to do it back when I applied! I ended up finishing late because I had a breakdown at my second placement school!

There's no way in hell I want to stay in teaching!
Reply 447
I've already finished my PGCE and I so wish I hadn't even applied! Worst thing is I knew I didn't want to do it back when I applied! I ended up finishing late because I had a breakdown at my second placement school!

There's no way in hell I want to stay in teaching!

Oh yes, that's what I meant. I am in a very much not teaching job now, so from one perspective my PGCE hasn't helped at all with my career. But had I not done it, I wouldn't be in this job now, as it would have had a knock on effect on anything.

Additionally, a PGCE does give lots of good transferable skills at least, which will help with other careers. Do you have any ideas what other jobs you might like to try (it's OK if not! it often takes time and trying stuff out)
Original post by kpwxx
Oh yes, that's what I meant. I am in a very much not teaching job now, so from one perspective my PGCE hasn't helped at all with my career. But had I not done it, I wouldn't be in this job now, as it would have had a knock on effect on anything.

Additionally, a PGCE does give lots of good transferable skills at least, which will help with other careers. Do you have any ideas what other jobs you might like to try (it's OK if not! it often takes time and trying stuff out)

I wish I'd gone into translation or interpreting, so I can actually use my languages at a decent level, but you need a masters in the subject to have any hope of getting a job in the sector, which I have no way of affording, even with the postgrad loan! I wanted to go into it when I applied for my PGCE but I let myself get swayed into doing something I knew I hated instead! I'll always hate myself for it!
Reply 449
I wish I'd gone into translation or interpreting, so I can actually use my languages at a decent level, but you need a masters in the subject to have any hope of getting a job in the sector, which I have no way of affording, even with the postgrad loan! I wanted to go into it when I applied for my PGCE but I let myself get swayed into doing something I knew I hated instead! I'll always hate myself for it!

Hmm, I don't know a lot about that sector. Perhaps your uni has a careers service, that you can still access, or maybe a former lecturer or advisor might have some advice. My first thoughts would be something abroad (potentially teaching... I know you said you didn't want to do that ha, but teaching abroad can be a very different kettle of fish so it really depends on your reasons for not liking teaching). Or perhaps studying abroad - this may make it more feasible finance wise.

Another option might be studying part time - either at a conventional brick and mortar uni, or at a distance institution like the OU - this could be more achievable financially as you can work part time while studying, and the cost is generally spread over a long period (though it obviously affects govt. funding too).
Original post by kpwxx
Hmm, I don't know a lot about that sector. Perhaps your uni has a careers service, that you can still access, or maybe a former lecturer or advisor might have some advice. My first thoughts would be something abroad (potentially teaching... I know you said you didn't want to do that ha, but teaching abroad can be a very different kettle of fish so it really depends on your reasons for not liking teaching). Or perhaps studying abroad - this may make it more feasible finance wise.

Another option might be studying part time - either at a conventional brick and mortar uni, or at a distance institution like the OU - this could be more achievable financially as you can work part time while studying, and the cost is generally spread over a long period (though it obviously affects govt. funding too).

Teaching just straight up isn’t an option, anywhere in the world.

I think my best option is to just find a grad scheme and just go from there. Maybe apply for masters courses once I can afford to pay for it myself, as the government loan barely covers fees, if that!
Original post by Mr M
There isn't any need to lie. The school can just set unachievable targets.

This maybe a few years late, but I haven’t seen you say any positives about the PGCE/teaching? How do you expect future applicants to view this? So from your suggestions, every new teacher should stop?
Original post by SKrrrrr
This maybe a few years late, but I haven’t seen you say any positives about the PGCE/teaching? How do you expect future applicants to view this? So from your suggestions, every new teacher should stop?

Sorry but I have no idea what this quote refers to and I can't be bothered to trawl through 23 pages to find out!

I have never suggested "every new teacher should stop". Teaching is a great profession (although it is a particularly difficult time to join due to Covid).
I was doing SCITT and PGCE. I think it is not just your determination and resilience that makes you successful. It is mentors as well. If they have some personal issues and determined to fail you. They will start giving more negative feedback than positives and your provider thinks you lack professionalism. I had a passion to get into teaching and love to make difference in the life of disadvantaged pupils. What else shall I add, it was not my choice to leave right after 3/4 of the course, that what I can say.
Reply 454
Am on a Secondary Maths PGCE.

A few on my course openly talked about it being something they were doing because they didn't know what else to do. A couple were unsure about school even before we went in for the placement. These are the people that dropped out already - a couple I think have deferred and another stressed. A couple of surprises. So 20% seems about right.

It is difficult but you do also have to learn to step away from planning, to wing it now and again (your mentor should understand and actively tell you that you can't deliver a life-changing lesson every time - mine has - and even if they don't - just get over the fact that they'll criticise your lessons - it's feedback! Feedback and you acting on it is a key part of your evidence so them never giving any is not going to get you qualified) and also decide how long you're going to take on uni stuff - you see people writing these florid essays on uni messageboard tasks from tutors like 'comment on this piece' etc - you could be working 24/7 if you wanted to in your PGCE year.

Just take time for yourself. A day off a week AT LEAST. Don't do 'everything'. Prioritise.

But yeah, it is hard, and tiring. But also incredible (fingers crossed - come back to me on that if I fail)
Yes, but not by choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending