The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Where can I travel from Manchester?

I want to go and see UK's nature. Ideally I would like to travel easily, with National Express or Terravision and bus station wouldn't be very far away from the nature I want to see :colondollar: I just want to walk and enjoy the nature. What would you suggest? Also, the less crowded, the better. Thank you very much and happy new year if you help me.
Reply 1
Peak District would be a great choice :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Alpha brah
Peak District would be a great choice :smile:

Edale and Castleton are my favorites in the Peak District.
Reply 3
You can get the Train to Edale from Manchester Piccadilly for like £8, amazing little village, great for walks too, you can hike the Pennine way, literally straight from the Train station. it's great!
Reply 4
Thank you! Wow, that fast replies. Could you tell me how to get there from Uni campuses and what should I visit there? Thanks again.
Reply 5
Original post by ihavenosoul
Thank you! Wow, that fast replies. Could you tell me how to get there from Uni campuses and what should I visit there? Thanks again.

You're Welcome :smile:
Which Uni campus are you at in Manchester would be a great start?

there's actually quite a few things to do in the Peak District, there's underground boat rides in Castleton (through the old mines and stuff) there's also Peak Cavern, and a huge castle, which has miles of underground caves which you're allowed to go take a tour on! it's great.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Flexa
You're Welcome :smile:
Which Uni campus are you at in Manchester would be a great start?

there's actually quite a few things to do in the Peak District, there's underground boat rides in Castleton (through the old mines and stuff) there's also Peak Cavern, and a huge castle, which has miles of underground caves which you're allowed to go take a tour on! it's great.

I live near Whitworth Park. All I really would like to do is walk (10 miles is not a problem to me) and see some amazing nature like: walker5.jpg (it's from Edale as I understand). And I really don't want to be it crowded, I am not a very big fan of people. Thanks again!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I live near Whitworth Park. All I really would like to do is walk (10 miles is not a problem to me) and see some amazing nature like: walker5.jpg (it's from Edale as I understand). And I really don't want to be it crowded, I am not a very big fan of people. Thanks again!

Yeah, that's a picture of the Pennine way I think, there's many different peaks in the district that you can walk, the best in my opinion (my favorite, is kinder scout) which is like 2 minutes away from the train station.

and don't worry, it's not really crowded up there, the only people you may see is the odd dog walker, or the odd walker in general.

what time of the year are you planning to walk? it can be really dangerous during the winter times, and it gets extremely cold (I know this because I did 3 duke of Edinburgh Awards) <- Something that you may be interested in doing.

And Whitworth park, you know where oxford road is then yes? a.k.a The Curry Mile, well you just need to travel up that towards Manchester city center, (Piccadilly gardens) and the train station is like a 2 minute walk from there!

Are you planning to walk alone?
Reply 8
Original post by Flexa
Yeah, that's a picture of the Pennine way I think, there's many different peaks in the district that you can walk, the best in my opinion (my favorite, is kinder scout) which is like 2 minutes away from the train station.

and don't worry, it's not really crowded up there, the only people you may see is the odd dog walker, or the odd walker in general.

what time of the year are you planning to walk? it can be really dangerous during the winter times, and it gets extremely cold (I know this because I did 3 duke of Edinburgh Awards) <- Something that you may be interested in doing.

And Whitworth park, you know where oxford road is then yes? a.k.a The Curry Mile, well you just need to travel up that towards Manchester city center, (Piccadilly gardens) and the train station is like a 2 minute walk from there!

Are you planning to walk alone?

I really want to go this Sunday. And yeah, alone, is this bad? Also, are there any places I could sit (maybe some small restaurant or something) and take a break for 20 minutes?
Reply 9
I really want to go this Sunday. And yeah, alone, is this bad? Also, are there any places I could sit (maybe some small restaurant or something) and take a break for 20 minutes?

Regardless of the weather and terrain, I would NOT advise you to walk alone, I rarely walk alone, and when I do, it's because I have experience. So yes, this is a bad idea, and this Sunday? the temperatures wouldn't be nice to you.

yes, there's a quiet local little pub in edale, which the residents go to (usually elderly) or people who are camping at the Local campsite, however, once you're up in the hills, you're on your own. there's rarely any phone signals, and if you get lost (Which is very easy I may add) things wont be too bright for you if you're on your own.

Do you have any friends that would go on the walk with you?
Reply 10
Original post by Flexa
Do you have any friends that would go on the walk with you?

No, they are all lazy, and I really want to go somewhere. If it's easy to get lost as you say, I will just go for only like 5 miles from station.
Reply 11
Maybe you should do a little re-search before going alone, or ask someone to go with you. I'll message you with certain things I advise taking!
Perhaps you could join the Hiking Society? They do lots of trips to places like Snowdon, and it would mean that you could go in a group (and be safe!)

UoM http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/groups/hiking-club
MMU http://www.mmunion.co.uk/studentactivities/manchester/sports/hiking/

I want to go and see UK's nature. Ideally I would like to travel easily, with National Express or Terravision and bus station wouldn't be very far away from the nature I want to see :colondollar: I just want to walk and enjoy the nature. What would you suggest? Also, the less crowded, the better. Thank you very much and happy new year if you help me.

Quick Reply