Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am a "mature" student (21! )

My A levels are:

Bio-B
    Chem-C
    Maths-B
    Further Maths-E!

How difficult would I find the Chemical Engineering course at UCL?

Thanks guys, much love :suith:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l_ame)
    Hello! I am a "mature" student (21! )
    There's nothing to worry about if you are considered as a mature student.

(Original post by l_ame)
    My A levels are:

Bio-B
    Chem-C
    Maths-B
    Further Maths-E!

How difficult would I find the Chemical Engineering course at UCL?
    With those grades, I'm afraid, it's very unlikely that you're going to get an offer of a place @ UCL.

Take a look at their website, where they've stated the academic grades required to get the offers.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...ng/index.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
    There's nothing to worry about if you are considered as a mature student.

With those grades, I'm afraid, it's very unlikely that you're going to get an offer of a place @ UCL.

Take a look at their website, where they've stated the academic grades required to get the offers.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...ng/index.shtml
    Well I have BBC, and the requirement for BEng Chemical Engineering is CCC so I think I have a chance...don't I...? :confused:

In anycase, is anyone actually studying Chemical Enginneering at UCL that could give me a little more insight into the course? Is it heavily maths based? Chemistry based? Physics based? and are you enjoying the course?

Thanks again :suith:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l_ame)
    Well I have BBC, and the requirement for BEng Chemical Engineering is CCC so I think I have a chance...don't I...? :confused:
    Oh.. u dint mention that u r gonna study BEng... as most ppl chooses MEng i looked at the MEng requirements.

Yes, if you apply for BEng then you certainly got a chance, though you didn't have Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
    Oh.. u dint mention that u r gonna study BEng... as most ppl chooses MEng i looked at the MEng requirements.

Yes, if you apply for BEng then you certainly got a chance, though you didn't have Physics.
    No, I don't have Physics. If you look at the UCL page you gave me, physics does not seem to be a requirement, which kind of lead me to ask the question "How difficult would I find the Chemical Engineering course at UCL" in my first post.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought chemical engineering would involve alot of physics. Mainly Chem and possibly Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Mainly maths, not chemistry - at least not what you think of as chemistry in that it is mainly physical chemistry theories.

As a mature student they take other things into consideration rather than just grades, however, i expect they would require you to do a foundation year to bring you up to standard, if offered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qmblix)
    I wouldn't have thought chemical engineering would involve alot of physics. Mainly Chem and possibly Maths.
    You'd be surprised. Lots and lots of thermodynamics and fluid flow involved, its certainly not the easiest of all the disciplines, and chem eng has scope to being the highest paid. A lot of chem engineers in 30s are on £100k+ working for petroleum companies. Anyway, chemistry is almost entirely based on physics!

To OP, I wouldn't hold my hopes up. Even chemistry, a strong theme and topic in chemical engineering, you have a C, that's not going to look good. Your maths appears to be quite weak and even though the entrance grades are CCC, I'm sure UCL receive applications from people with higher grades. It's not exactly a university that is hot on engineering, but it is still one of the top 5 and that is enough for them to be choosy, especially since you haven't done physics. Worth trying though, and hope you get in.

ReputationRep:
    ...Putting aside all this negative talk, I would say go for it

The website says CCC for BEng but if you look in the 2007 prospectus it says BBB for all programmes.
    However, I think I read somewhere that they also allow BBC - which you have.

Not having Physics in terms of entrance shouldn't be too much trouble, although Chem Eng relies quite heavily on Physical Sciences so when on the course you may be at a slight disadvantage - but others will be too.

Your Further Maths may not look good, but the fact that you have B in straight Maths should suffice for entrance.
    Universities realise that Further Maths is difficult so should understand that an E doesnt mean you are ultimately poor at maths - I had a friend at another school who was very sharp but got a D (although this may have been for other reasons).
    Furthermore, having actually studied Further Maths, even with a low grade, will put you at an advantage over others with just straight Maths.

Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 9, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.