Can you retake A Levels at University? Watch

Joshytoohotty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Guess this may depend on the Uni in question but any help is appreciated.

Basically, I have done a Law A Level and I know that if I miss out on an A it will be by 1-5 UMS, and there is one paper out of the 6 modules which is very easy and I only got a B for it as it was my first ever AS exam, so it would be easy to improve upon.

NoW I'm obviously aware that this would still have no impact on whether or not I get into my first choice Uni, but it obviously will have an impact on job prospects in the future and I think if it's so easy for me to get an A I may as well do it.

I wouldn't be looking to get the course taught to me by the Uni as I know that obviously won't be done, I just want to be put through for the paper so I can do the revision myself and sit it. I'm doing a Law degree anyway so that will probably make it even easier to ace the exam.

All help appreciated, ta.

Oh, and by the way the Uni in question will be either Liverpool Uni or John Moores.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You need to have met the grades in your offer in order to go to university. If you retake an A Level, you don't have it any more. So unless you don't need that A Level to get in you can't resit it.
Madprof
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:ditto:

To improve a grade, you can't have cashed in your A-level in that subject. You need to 'cash in' an A-level for it to count towards your university entrance. Unless you don't need your Law A-level to make the grades for your course, then this means you can't retake once at uni.
Joshytoohotty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
OK, thanks for the help anyway.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well you could re-take it all presumably.
Lady_Muck
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
......But then you'd have missed your offer already, no?

*please I don't want to retake in my gap year, please god, please god, please god*

Did you used to go to Exeter School?
Hana_1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
one of my friends declined one of her A level grades and re-took it when she was in her first year of uni. but i think it's cos she had an agreement with the uni to do this!

i think it's a bit weird tbh. You decline the grade, but in a sense you still have it-if you re-take and in the retake you don't do very well, the exam board take the best grade, meaning that you will end up with what you started off with, so in a sense, you do have the grade as you can't do any worse, if you get me!

but what Juno said is right, sadly
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get it remarked if you miss it?... To be honest, once you get to uni you wont mind so much about any missed grades etc. and the last thing you want to be doing is revising for an a level when you could be out with everyone else or revising for your degree which will be a bit more important! And if you're studying law at uni it may well confuse you as degree and A level law will be VERY different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
27.42%
No (90)
72.58%

Watched Threads