Dedication to maths.. Watch

Happyness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I am doing economics, Physics, Maths and Politics as my Alevels. I also wish to persue further maths at a level, as i most probably hope to be doing maths or physics or even economics at uni.

SO, i was wondering, should i start doing maths, as it will be a huge workload with my subject combinations to do it in school term time. Should i start?:confused:
CalculusMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why do you think its going to be a huge workload if you don't start now?
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Kquishir, don't worry, if you want to start Maths now, by all means go ahead. If you think it will help you later on and save time but sometimes it is better to learn under the supervision of teachers (my opinion anyway). Personally I would say just enjoy your holidays! You've done so many exams and everyone can use a break!
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you want to then do it casually, don't over work yourself...
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's your holidays - use them for whatever you want. Maybe do a little, but don't be afraid to abandon it fo a while to go out with friends/go on holiday and so on...
Happyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by CalculusMan)
i dont know..I should really put this in the A level forums because they have already done their exams and would know the difficulty of it etc. But i guess it is pretty subjective, as to who think what is difficult.

Personally i think its a massive workload. I mean eco, then phy, then politics and then maths, and then on top of it, fmaths:eek: . I want to do it ofcourse, but i think these are some of the toughest alevels to do, and im doing them all. i didnt take chem, because i wanted to keep my sanity.
Happyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by CalculusMan)
i dont know..I should really put this in the A level forums because they have already done their exams and would know the difficulty of it etc. But i guess it is pretty subjective, as to who thinks what is difficult.

Personally i think its a massive workload. I mean eco, then phy, then politics and then maths, and then on top of it, fmaths:eek: . I want to do it ofcourse, but i think these are some of the toughest alevels to do, and im doing them all. i didnt take chem, because i wanted to keep my sanity.:rolleyes:
Berto90
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kquishir)
i dont know..I should really put this in the A level forums because they have already done their exams and would know the difficulty of it etc. But i guess it is pretty subjective, as to who think what is difficult.
Let me be your resident Maths AS'er . If you look at my choices, I'm doing very similar subjects to you, and having done Maths AS this year I think I can help you out. The following apply's to Edexcel, I can't speak for any other exam boards.

It is only my opinion, but I think you needn't start Maths yet. Let me say this loud and clear, one time:

AS Maths is just about one of the easiest A-Level subjects. If you got A* or even A at GCSE you will find it to be very easy

A lot of the first years work is merely GCSE stuff. Calculus is the main focus of C1 and C2 - don't let the name fool you. Calculus is the bread and butter of AS maths - about a week or two spent doing it and you will find it easy, despite the fact that it makes up the 'harder' questions on the exam.

If you really want to do something to prepare, you are best just making sure you know the GCSE stuff really well.

I will say this to calm you down: Of the 8 Chapters in C1, chapter 2 teaches you the different ways to solve quadratics :rolleyes: .

hmm i hope i haven't just jinxed my maths result....
nina_100
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Berto90)
Let me be your resident Maths AS'er . If you look at my choices, I'm doing very similar subjects to you, and having done Maths AS this year I think I can help you out. The following apply's to Edexcel, I can't speak for any other exam boards.

It is only my opinion, but I think you needn't start Maths yet. Let me say this loud and clear, one time:

AS Maths is just about one of the easiest A-Level subjects. If you got A* or even A at GCSE you will find it to be very easy

A lot of the first years work is merely GCSE stuff. Calculus is the main focus of C1 and C2 - don't let the name fool you. Calculus is the bread and butter of AS maths - about a week or two spent doing it and you will find it easy, despite the fact that it makes up the 'harder' questions on the exam.

Just to clarify I'm with AQA and have just finished the a level year, I still didn't find maths overly challenging... sometimes wished I'd took further, instead of Psych, not aswell!!!

If you really want to do something to prepare, you are best just making sure you know the GCSE stuff really well.

I will say this to calm you down: Of the 8 Chapters in C1, chapter 2 teaches you the different ways to solve quadratics :rolleyes: .

I was with AQA and I'd agree I found maths the easiest A level out of the ones I took- Bio Chem and Psych, and odv maths! But if you're taking further maths aswell that will be one hell of a work load- one of my friends who took only 3 A levels, including maths and further maths seemed to have to work harder than me doing 4! So with 5 a levels you'll be pretty busy!! For this reason I'd say DO NOT start maths now!! These are your holidays, relax, chill out and go back next year refreshed to start what IMO will be a very gruelling year!! Good Luck!
Happyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Berto90)

Ye dude, i looked at a C2 book, and everything is clearly explained, and pretty much understandable...hmm...you could be right, but somehow how comes there are so many people that find this a level hard?..that is what i dont understand.
MarcD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ye dude, i looked at a C2 book, and everything is clearly explained, and pretty much understandable...hmm...you could be right, but somehow how comes there are so many people that find this a level hard?..that is what i dont understand.
GCSEs can trick some people. There are many who find GCSE Maths very easy but then find the a level difficult. This is just because some people are excellent at GCSE maths but when it comes to A level they find it harder to grasp. A lot of maths does rely on natural talent in the subject and those who have it will find the A level easier I suppose.

That's just my theory though, I'm in the same boat as you, starting this year!
arsenalfan.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you take additional mathematics at GCSE level (and understand it reasonably well), AS Level maths should not be much of a problem.

Thats what I heard.
lovers in japan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It might be a good idea just to read through the text book during the holidays if you have time and want to make sure that you will do well during the year. But if you are already reasonably confident, then by all means just enjoy your holiday
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ye C1 is mostly GCSE stuff to be honest:

Powers (eg. x^m/n = nth root x^m)
Solving Quadratics (the formula, completing the square)
Geometry (quite easy - calculating gradients and using y=mx+c in different ways)
Sequences (one of the harder parts - but you don't have to remember the formulae)
Calculus (once you understand it you can do it in your sleep)

I haven't done C2 but it contains trigonometry and exponentials/logarithms that aren't covered at all in C1.
*Ridwan*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Knowledge is power. If you're going to start maths then do it as it's a blessing and increases your enthusiasm for the subject.
Happyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by rizzyh)
Knowledge is power. If you're going to start maths then do it as it's a blessing and increases your enthusiasm for the subject.
Well said...good you think like me. I will do maths casually, ofcourse. I just thought it was too large a workload to be doing 5, as regarded by many, as the toughest alevels. SO i thought it kind of made sense to start early.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I thought you were not in Year 11? :confused:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...18&postcount=1
dholmes_7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am doing economics, Physics, Maths and Politics as my Alevels. I also wish to persue further maths at a level, as i most probably hope to be doing maths or physics or even economics at uni.

SO, i was wondering, should i start doing maths, as it will be a huge workload with my subject combinations to do it in school term time. Should i start?:confused:
I did a similar combination at AS in maths,further maths, politics, economics and history. It was hard at times, but by no means unmanageable. Maths subjects can't set you look essays, just some questions so in that respect you should be lucky!

Overall, you can start if you want, but I dont think it'll help that much, so longas you stay organised you'll be fine
Happyness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Excalibur)
I thought you were not in Year 11? :confused:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...18&postcount=1
I am, that is just me speaking from a voice of my siblings, i.e. my sister.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am, that is just me speaking from a voice of my siblings, i.e. my sister.
Ah right, I was a little confused as I saw that thread earlier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed