Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering whether it is ok in the personal statement, to mention things that you did at school as well as at college? I've found that I have little to write about my participation at college, as we don't really have any societies or anything, so there is much less of an opporunity to become involved. Or do most people tend not to mention what they did at school, even though it was rather recent?

Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It does depend what it is. If it was something really really good, mention it. But for most things, leave it out.

Like if it's just a normal club then don't mention it unless you still participate. If you were a member of the England team, do mention it.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, would def agree with PQ - just put in absolutely everything you can think of (my first draft ran to two pages of size 10!), then cut it down later.

I don't see a problem with mentioning stuff you did at school per se, as it can be relevant even if not current. Obviously, you do need some current stuff as well, but I mentioned a couple of things as far back as year 10 and that seemed fine.

ReputationRep:
    nice thread, ive got a list of things i cud include on my ps and can someone please cut them down as in which are best to include, here they are:
    - Yr 11 prefect
    - Yr 10+11 form rep
    _ helped at open day in yr 11
    - participate in football training but have never played for the team
    - played guitar for years but recently quit
    - worked at hopsital in yr 10 for work experience
    - enjoy football, music of any gender
    - read new scientist

ReputationRep:
    oo btw i also help a kid in ict

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potter)
    nice thread, ive got a list of things i cud include on my ps and can someone please cut them down as in which are best to include, here they are:
    - Yr 11 prefect
    - Yr 10+11 form rep
    _ helped at open day in yr 11
    - participate in football training but have never played for the team
    - played guitar for years but recently quit
    - worked at hopsital in yr 10 for work experience
    - enjoy football, music of any gender
    - read new scientist
    I think you mean genre...

Which subject are you applying for? I'd post this in the relevant subforum, where you're more likely to get specific advice. It'd also be worth using the http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134 forum when you've written it - I got some good advice from there.

Some genweral advice - write about what you learnt from each placemnt/why you enjoy each activity/why it'd make you a good doctor (I'm guessing you're a future medic?). It then becomes less about the quanity and more about the quality of what you include. Writing 'I like listening to music', if that's all you can say, is less good (fantastic grammar there, sorry!) than if you play an instrument in an old folk's home and can elaborate on that.

ReputationRep:
    ye im applyin for pharmacy and dentistry so what forum shud i use?

ReputationRep:
    lol gender of music :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .jen.)
    lol gender of music :rofl:
    Yeah! If music had a gender, a certain James Blunt's work is definately female (with no offence meant to women)...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Seriously though Potter, the forum you want is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134 for Dentistry, or http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=180 for Pharmacy.

Best of luck with your application, hope it all goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Some great advice in this thread. Basically, for any extra-curricular activity you mention, you then need to elaborate and say what you've learnt from it and how it will help you at univeristy. If you've done anything at school that seems particularly relevant/impressive and you can expand upon it, by all means, include it.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.