Which of these are you going to bring to uni? Watch

Poll: Which of these are you going to bring?
Laptop (139)
23.52%
Mini fridge (34)
5.75%
TV (65)
11%
Stereo (64)
10.83%
DVD player (34)
5.75%
Toaster (34)
5.75%
Kettle (53)
8.97%
Coffeemaker (9)
1.52%
Desktop computer (37)
6.26%
Digital Camera (122)
20.64%
Ana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd also advise desktops over laptops.Most computer thefts in halls seem to be opportunist thieves taking advantage of unlocked doors and open windows. A desktop is slightly harder for someone to carry off without being noticed.
ladyportacabin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Eak, hadn't even thought about practical things like kettles and toasters. I was too busy worrying about my laptop and iPod speakers! Just looked at the uni website, and luckily we will be provided with microwaves and kettles. Phew.

Only 2 other people are bringing their coffee makers? I don't think I could live without my proper coffee.
Leanne_g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm bringing my laptop, TV and my digital camera. I'm not bothering with a stereo because I can just plug my laptop or my ipod into my speakers. I don't need any kitchen appliance either because I've applied for catered halls.
Happy_Rocker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im bringing my laptop, dig camera, tv and toaster. though, im only bringing a toaster for just in case the others break down, i practically live off toast :eek:
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Princess Ana)
I'd also advise desktops over laptops.Most computer thefts in halls seem to be opportunist thieves taking advantage of unlocked doors and open windows. A desktop is slightly harder for someone to carry off without being noticed.
If you get a laptop lock you should be fine.

Having a laptop made my university experience so much easier. I could take it to the library and take notes more quickly. My friends with desktops were chained to the room when they had papers due, which meant if they had noisy roommates or hallmates they were stuck. I would disappear to a dark corner of a library, or a 24 hour restaurant and write in peace
c0co
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Getting speakers for your laptop or ipod is a really good idea actually, I'm defo gona do that over a stereo.
Also, I just got one of those amazing phones that seems to do everything, incl. taking good photos so I might be okay without a digital camera!
dooby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah I've got a Sony Ericsson k750i which has got a good 2.0 megapixel camera on it....was considering getting a cheapish digital camera for drunken nights out at uni but what do other people think. Should I save my money and just use my phone?
ladyportacabin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have that phone too, the pics are really good on it. When you upload them you can't tell they're from a phone. Save your cash!
Ana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shady lane)
If you get a laptop lock you should be fine.

Having a laptop made my university experience so much easier. I could take it to the library and take notes more quickly. My friends with desktops were chained to the room when they had papers due, which meant if they had noisy roommates or hallmates they were stuck. I would disappear to a dark corner of a library, or a 24 hour restaurant and write in peace
I'm in no way chained to my desktop. My hall has a computer room with two computers, my residential campus has a huge computer cluster. My department has two computer rooms, one for work only, and the main library has computers in both noisy and silent areas. So it's possible to work it both ways, and know I'd hate to carry a laptop on a 9-5 day, just for the hour or two I'm in the library
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Laptops are the way forward... i started with a desktop but soon moved to a laptop because i found myself needing a computer in labs, in the library etc, so much more handy than a memory stick etc! Laptops are also much more handy for second year etc!

Many uni's dont allow mini fridges, but i recommend one, because there are lots of theiving pikeys who steal milk and such like....
Sarge
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Honestly people don't take a TV/DVD player, a computer with a TV tuner card will be cheaper and will certainly have a equally large screen even if you only have a laptop and the screen quality will be vastly superior. Taking a TV would be like saying that you would rather have a £150 for a TV + DVD player over (for as low as) £20 HDTV with DVD player. Don't take a stereo for the same reason. Having everything separate is not the way to go if you want to save money and space.
xoxo_GossipGirl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm just taking the tv and dvd player I've already got. I'm sooo confused now, laptop or desktop arrrrgh
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My TV reception was crap, i paid £120 for a TV license which enabled me to watch fuzz....

Laptop!!!
supertramp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was thinking of bringing a kettle, even though I'm in catered. Is there any point or is that dumb? I like caffiene. Lots.
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Buy a coffee maker.... Much better idea... makes you a cup of coffee when you wake up! Thats what i did anyway.

Chances are someone else will bring a kettle, or you will end up like us, with about 20 kettles...
mc_hamster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm bringing my laptop and my desktop. My laptop has all my songs on it and my desktop is probably better for the net as the laptop is quite slow.
I'm not sure if I'm taking my mini fridge, my friend gave it to me but it is quite loud.
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So far my dad has given me his old laptop (which I'm getting used to now!!!) and his digital camera :love: I love my Dad :love:

I might take my stereo, not too sure though :confused: I could just get some cheap speakers from Cash Converters! Not bothering with toaster, coffee, fridge etc as I'd never use them. As for a kettle, I'll be nice to people so they'll let me borrow theirs, because I'll use it very rarely!!!
ladyportacabin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh, internet phone too. So I can call my boyfriend for free!
bene gesserit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ladyportacabin)
Only 2 other people are bringing their coffee makers? I don't think I could live without my proper coffee.
Well its three now. I have already bought a cafetiere. Proper coffee or no coffee for me.
supertramp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like instant coffee. I think I'll get a cheap kettle and hope to be allowed to use it. None of this fancy coffee for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (79)
26.69%
No (217)
73.31%

Watched Threads