The Student Room Group

Edexcel international A levels and GCE A levels

Hey there guys. Thoroughly confused which one to choose, both are being offered at my centre here in Oman. I'm currently undertaking physics, maths and chemistry under the edexcel syllabus, but I do believe the January exams give a significant advantage to the international A level course. Also, the IAL doesn't have coursework content if I'm not wrong. But the issue is, the university recognition for IAL right now looks rather limited as compared to GCE, and I'm not entirely sure about what university I will be heading towards. However I'm sure that I will be doing mechanical engineering.
Thoughts?
Reply 1
Universities aren't going to distinguish between IAL and GCE because you're going to take the same papers as the GCE students. Jan exams aren't available for both IAL and GCE anymore so you won't be disadvantaged in any way. I think I heard somewhere that for IAL, you're going to take a paper which combines two modules (eg Maths, C1 & C2 and C3 & C4) instead of individual papers for each module. I'd suggest you to take IAL because for Units 3 and 6 in each science subject will require you to take written practicals rather than real practicals (this is due to Edexcel wanting to make sure that international teachers aren't biased when giving marks in a practical exam I THINK). But those written practicals questions are based on real practical exams anyway so they're about the same I guess? IAL students will have IAL certificates though instead of the normal GCE certs given out to UK students. But really though, I'm not so sure about this. If I find out more I'll edit my post.

Edit: IAL exams are available in Jan and June while Edexcel GCE only in June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BWV1007
Universities aren't going to distinguish between IAL and GCE because you're going to take the same papers as the GCE students. Jan exams aren't available for both IAL and GCE anymore so you won't be disadvantaged in any way. I think I heard somewhere that for IAL, you're going to take a paper which combines two modules (eg Maths, C1 & C2 and C3 & C4) instead of individual papers for each module. I'd suggest you to take IAL because for Units 3 and 6 in each science subject will require you to take written practicals rather than real practicals (this is due to Edexcel wanting to make sure that international teachers aren't biased when giving marks in a practical exam I THINK). But those written practicals questions are based on real practical exams anyway so they're about the same I guess? IAL students will have IAL certificates though instead of the normal GCE certs given out to UK students. But really though, I'm not so sure about this. If I find out more I'll edit my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the thing is, at this moment in time not many universities outside the UK have actually recognised IAL, and I'm not very sure where I'm going to go to study
what did you choose finally? any feedback?

Quick Reply

Latest