The Student Room Group

A-level dilemma! please help

link to actual question on yahoo
please answer on here!

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131129054424AALrIbI
First of all do sociology instead of resistant materials as it will do more for you in uni. I cant answer your question about the btec as I don't know. What do you want to be when you are older
Firstly, surely it would have been faster to just copy over the text than linking the question?
Secondly, the Public Services BTEC is not an 'accommodating' subject, which means that a lot of Universities do not regard it with as high esteem as they would a more accommodating subject like Maths or English. The problem with your choices is that none of the A levels or BTECs you've mentioned are regarded as accommodating, which could potentially be a problem when applying to Universities. I don't think Sociology has a significant advantage over RM, so choose whichever one you like more. But I suggest you think carefully about your choices as a whole, because currently you would only be taking 2 A Levels, neither of which have a lot of prestige attached to them.
Reply 3
ok say i didn't take the btec and took

-resistant materials
-english (could switch with business studies)
-sociality
-politics

would this balance it out, would universities view this as good and do they all form together?
Original post by mahasen

-resistant materials
-sociality
-politics

would this balance it out, would universities view this as good and do they all form together?

Not if you spell sociology like that.
Do you have any career paths as these subjects wouldnt do a lot for you. My advice would be to do two subjects which will help you for university and the other two just for interest.
Reply 5
I do Uniformed Public Services, and uni's do accept it, but do A levels though.
BTEC is awful, well the UPS is tbh, unless you want to go in the army, but even then you're better off going straight into the army, or A levels to become an officer.
Original post by Aneesah_May
Not if you spell sociology like that.
Do you have any career paths as these subjects wouldnt do a lot for you. My advice would be to do two subjects which will help you for university and the other two just for interest.

I'm sure you're perfect at all times :rolleyes:
Original post by mahasen

-resistant materials
-sociology
-politics

the last three go together well, though if at all possible you'll want to do english literature. you might want one more facilitating subject like history or philosophy, but that combo's good. keep RM if you love it.
Reply 8
hmmm thanks for the feedback, if i switched resistant materials for business how would that work out?

Quick Reply

Latest