The Student Room Group

can someone explain this part of electromagnetic induction to me? finding it hard.

So as it stands, my understanding of electromagnetic induction is that:

a conducting wire (or solenoid) rotating in a magnetic field (such that sin(@) changes)

a conducting wire entering/leaving a constant magnetic field

a conducting wire situated in a changing magnetic field (like that produced by an AC)

will all experience the effects of Faraday and Lenz's law and an EMF will be induced (and subsequently a current) that opposes the change's in flux linkage that produces it.

My problem comes when a conducting wire is travelling (with no change in sin(@) ) through a magnetic field, "cutting lines of flux" as it is said in the textbook. i was led to belief this also induces an EMF however i came across a question that states that when a conducting wire is travelling at a constant speed through a magnetic field, (not entering it or leaving it and without a change in sin(@) ), it will not have an emf induced in it.

Is this true? or is the question wrong?
Original post by SebastianTindall
So as it stands, my understanding of electromagnetic induction is that:

a conducting wire (or solenoid) rotating in a magnetic field (such that sin(@) changes)

a conducting wire entering/leaving a constant magnetic field

a conducting wire situated in a changing magnetic field (like that produced by an AC)

will all experience the effects of Faraday and Lenz's law and an EMF will be induced (and subsequently a current) that opposes the change's in flux linkage that produces it.

My problem comes when a conducting wire is travelling (with no change in sin(@) ) through a magnetic field, "cutting lines of flux" as it is said in the textbook. i was led to belief this also induces an EMF however i came across a question that states that when a conducting wire is travelling at a constant speed through a magnetic field, (not entering it or leaving it and without a change in sin(@) ), it will not have an emf induced in it.

Is this true? or is the question wrong?

A conducting wire needs to move perpendicularly to the flux lines and not parallel to them. This is what cutting flux means. Without seeing the actual question, just your version or interpretation of it, we don't know if it's wrong.

A coil needs to rotate in a magnetic field.
There is also an emf induced when a coil enters a field, or is in a varying field.

It's better to post the actual question you are having problems with. This makes it easier for us to see what the problem is.

Quick Reply

Latest