Dwightjmb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys. I'm having some trouble picking an extended project topic. I'm set on doing English literature at university. So I wanted to do something English based. Please share or give me some ideas of what u could do my project on. Thanks much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Qymberley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get creative with it if you want, I know in the past a dude wrote, directed and screen showed his own play, doesn't have to be an essay
Zoelingua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was going to do EPQ this year, also want to do English Lit at uni!

Doing a book comparison is possible, but when I suggested it to my supervisor he said that because my mind works in such an English essay way he was worried that my 5,000 essay would turn into a critical comparison and lack the 'analysis' and 'research' you need to get a high grade in EPQ. Alternatively, doing it on two different writers and drawing similarities and differences between their contexts was an option for me - how writers have changed over time; how books like Lolita and 1984 were once banned but now celebrated and highly regraded, Jane Austen novels for example/other old literature carefully mentioned the topic of sex where as now we live in a society where Fifty Shades of Grey has outsold Harry Potter (I think...).

It's quite difficult - I spoke to my English teacher and she really helped me out coming up with ideas. Speak to your EPQ teacher and English teacher if you're finding it hard.
Катя
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you like creative writing? If you do, you could write a novella and then self-publish on Amazon or something (and that can be your artefact). Or a collection of poems, or something.

If you're set on doing an essay, then explorations of philosophical themes in literature work quite well. A friend of mine is going something about truth in Orwell's 1984 (can't remember his exact title), and last year, somebody did something to do with The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Argh, my memory is bad.

Basically, make the question as precise as you possibly can, and don't do a book that's been published after 1950 (unless it's an exceptional book, of course, but as a general rule, stay away from modern fiction). What sorts of things were you thinking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (643)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.26%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads