The Student Room Group

A new antidepressant pill

I think I need to go on a new antidepressant pill because the one I'm on doesn't really do much for me. I'm on Mirtazapine at the moment.
I started in Citalopram and i couldn't sleep at all so I was then put on Mirtazapine and all I do is sleep and I've put on a loads of weight I then tried Paroxetine and I couldn't sleep again so I was put back on Mirtazapine but again I don't feel like it's doing much for my depression or anxiety.
Can anyone suggest what medication they think works best so then I can go to my doctors and discuss it with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would suggest talking to your doctor about natural remedies and see if they make a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Saaaammm
I think I need to go on a new antidepressant pill because the one I'm on doesn't really do much for me. I'm on Mirtazapine at the moment.
I started in Citalopram and i couldn't sleep at all so I was then put on Mirtazapine and all I do is sleep and I've put on a loads of weight I then tried Paroxetine and I couldn't sleep again so I was put back on Mirtazapine but again I don't feel like it's doing much for my depression or anxiety.
Can anyone suggest what medication they think works best so then I can go to my doctors and discuss it with them

There is no point I'm afraid. The exact nature of your problem and your receptiveness to different drugs will be different to a lot of people. If there was one best medication, they wouldn't prescribe the rest, they would give everyone that and everyone would be well.

You have to go back to your doctors and tell them as much as you can about your mood, anxiety and possible side effects and let him suggest what to try and then monitor whatever you are taking over a good period of time and keep notes on the aforementioned stuff so you can see if something works over time.
Agomelatine.

It's been hailed by everyone as a miracle cure.
Reply 4
As Dopamine Dreams says, agomelatine could also be worth trying, normally very few side effects and it improves sleep without being heavily sedating which could be good for you if the SSRIs caused issues there. Last I saw though it was only prescribable by psychiatrists in a lot of NHS trusts since it's expensive for now. Wish I hadn't been allergic to it so I could've given it a real shot.
Original post by Exopaladin
As Dopamine Dreams says, agomelatine could also be worth trying, normally very few side effects and it improves sleep without being heavily sedating which could be good for you if the SSRIs caused issues there. Last I saw though it was only prescribable by psychiatrists in a lot of NHS trusts since it's expensive for now. Wish I hadn't been allergic to it so I could've given it a real shot.

That's the case with me, only available from Psych on private prescription and not available from NHS - but it's not due to cost. It only costs £35 (for 28x tablets from Tesco which seems to be the cheapest). I've had Pregabalin (~£60) and Quetiapine XR (~£95) both prescribed by my GP, which are obviously much more expensive.

It's because it's not been been approved by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) and thus can't be dispensed by most trusts unless they dispense it against the rules.

Shame that you were allergic to it, it's been a life saver for me, in the literal sense.
Reply 6
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
That's the case with me, only available from Psych on private prescription and not available from NHS - but it's not due to cost. It only costs £35 (for 28x tablets from Tesco which seems to be the cheapest). I've had Pregabalin (~£60) and Quetiapine XR (~£95) both prescribed by my GP, which are obviously much more expensive.

It's because it's not been been approved by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) and thus can't be dispensed by most trusts unless they dispense it against the rules.

Shame that you were allergic to it, it's been a life saver for me, in the literal sense.

Interesting, didn't know it wasn't approved by NICE. I've seen in more than a few NHS trust formularies that it's okay to be prescribed as an NHS prescription (and I had it on the NHS at the time) but only as 3rd line by a psychiatrist and not a GP.

I do wish the NHS/NICE approved of more psych drugs, currently paying privately for bupropion which is a bit ouch (~£70/month). Luckily my NHS GP is happy to follow the guidelines of my private psych for most other things so the rest of my cocktail (reboxetine, lamotrigine, carbamazepine) is NHS.
Reply 7
GPs can now prescribe agomelatine (although not all will), but typically you have to have tried a number of different classes of antidepressant first. I agree that it's a good choice if you can get it though - it's one of only two antidepressants that have had any positive effects on me (out of a great number), and I had zero side-effects (and I'm quite prone to getting side-effects).

OP did you have any positive effects on the citalopram? If it was the side-effects that made you change then it might be worth trying escitalopram, which is very similar but generally has less side-effects. Again though it's new and expensive, and therefore less prescribed.
It is worth noting that you have to have been on a anti-depressant for around 3 months (some advice says 6 months, and also it needs to be 2-4 weeks after your last dose increase) before you can rule that it isn't having any help.

With Mirtazapine, it has an inverse effect on sleep - aka it makes you more sleepy at lower doses. So especially if it isn't helping much, could you see about increasing your dose - it might make you less sleepy, and might help more.
Wellburtin
mirtazapine has hindered and attributed to weight gain, and find that I am ok on them, and halved my dose but still finding it hard losing the weight gain. appetite has shrunk but still find its making me feel nauseous. I wonder if its something else other than the drugs.
Original post by Quiet _One86
mirtazapine has hindered and attributed to weight gain, and find that I am ok on them, and halved my dose but still finding it hard losing the weight gain. appetite has shrunk but still find its making me feel nauseous. I wonder if its something else other than the drugs.

When I've reduced mirtazapine in the past I've experienced horrendous nausea - so much so that I always end up taking it again. So that might be the reason for your nausea? :dontknow:
Original post by Sabertooth
When I've reduced mirtazapine in the past I've experienced horrendous nausea - so much so that I always end up taking it again. So that might be the reason for your nausea? :dontknow:

There was me thinking, I was trying to whine myself off the tablets as I don't like how much weight I've gained, and feeling its not really doing my health any better since being on them. I don't like feeling nauseous and frustrated all the time. Its not helped that since doing some research that I might have adhesions from the operation I had 2 years ago which was a consequence of gallbladder removal in open surgery and a break up which caused me to get so stressed out. I also now have CFS/ME..which is not a good combination. I am seeing the GP Monday. What do you suggest, another tablet or ask to go cold turkey and not tell them.
Reply 13
Original post by PoliticalMan14
Wellburtin

That stuff killed me. :frown:
There was me thinking, I was trying to whine myself off the tablets as I don't like how much weight I've gained, and feeling its not really doing my health any better since being on them. I don't like feeling nauseous and frustrated all the time. Its not helped that since doing some research that I might have adhesions from the operation I had 2 years ago which was a consequence of gallbladder removal in open surgery and a break up which caused me to get so stressed out. I also now have CFS/ME..which is not a good combination. I am seeing the GP Monday. What do you suggest, another tablet or ask to go cold turkey and not tell them.

It's up to you really. I wouldn't advise going cold turkey with mirtazapine as the nausea can get very unpleasant. It took me 9 antidepressants before I found one that worked for me so if you're still on your first or second I'd give another tablet a chance as it can take a lot of trial and error to find one that works.
Original post by Sabertooth
It's up to you really. I wouldn't advise going cold turkey with mirtazapine as the nausea can get very unpleasant. It took me 9 antidepressants before I found one that worked for me so if you're still on your first or second I'd give another tablet a chance as it can take a lot of trial and error to find one that works.

I hate being on them, one of the reasons I didn't want to get on them in the first place was the body's addiction of them. I hate feeling sick, and thought that maybe I could come off them for the new year and be able to cope without them. 9! wow that's a lot to get used to finding the right one. What mg are you on..mine is 30 down to cutting in half 15.
I hate being on them, one of the reasons I didn't want to get on them in the first place was the body's addiction of them. I hate feeling sick, and thought that maybe I could come off them for the new year and be able to cope without them. 9! wow that's a lot to get used to finding the right one. What mg are you on..mine is 30 down to cutting in half 15.

I'm on 45mg. Going cold turkey is a really bad idea so cutting the 15mgs in half is a much better way of doing it. You should definitely talk to your doctor however because coming off these kind of drugs by yourself can be difficult at best and have really bad side effects or returning depression at worst.
Reply 17
i have two extensive lists of natural substances that can help fight depression and anxiety, ill bookmarked the thread and post them when i get chance
Have you tried effexor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can you tell if you're depressed and not simply stressed out?
I don't know if I'm depressed or not...
Original post by Anonymous
How can you tell if you're depressed and not simply stressed out?
I don't know if I'm depressed or not...

seeing a doctor is a good first step. :smile: Or I guess wait until you're no longer stressed and see if you still feel the same way? Stress and depression have a lot of overlapping symptoms.

Quick Reply

Latest