The Student Room Group

What do you think about the new GCSE system?

If you do not know about the new GCSE system being incorporated in 2015 then read this TSR article

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=1951-New-GCSE-changes-explained

I would like to know what you think about the changes. Will it affect you? Do you agree with the idea? Do you like the plan of keeping all exams to one ability rather than having different tests for different capabilities?

In my opinion I don't really like the idea as I prefer the letters than numbers! I'd much rather see an A* on my paper than a 9? Is it just me or does it seem a bit weird haha.

N.B: Sorry if there has been a thread about this before or if I am not allowed to discuss this topic, I am new and familiarising myself with the TSR Community!
Reply 1
One of the reasons why I prefer the letter system is the fact that you can't get confused if say you get a 18/20 and an A*, because they are both different letters and therefore easy to differentiate between. I'm not sure if you only get to see the letters on the proper exams as I am studying for GCSEs at the moment, please correct me if I am wrong. But what if the marker says that you got 6 marks out of lets say 10, but the actual level you get given is a 7 or a 5... It would get easily confusing. This is just my view, so sorry if you don't agree, and if you don't agree vehemently, then please state why :smile: if so, prepare for a
:battle: of wits!
It doesn't affect me but I don't see the need for the change tbh, just confused everyone.
[h="3"]Students will typically take the same exams, regardless of ability[/h]The tiering system that is currently used for GCSEs - where students take different exams depending on their ability - is being scrapped for most subjects. In new GCSEs, students will normally all sit the same exam so that all have the opportunity to get the highest grades. Tiering will continue for some subjects though. For instance, maths will be tiered, since Ofqual says it is 'not possible' to design an exam that will stretch the most able while also giving less-able students the chance to demonstrate their knowledge.

I don't see what the point of this is. The '9' grade will just become easier to obtain, degrading its value.
Reply 4
I like the fact there is less "coursework" and more emphasis on exams, but still not keen on controlled assessments. Should just have 100% exams cold turkey.
Reply 5
Original post by techno-thriller
Students will typically take the same exams, regardless of ability

The tiering system that is currently used for GCSEs - where students take different exams depending on their ability - is being scrapped for most subjects. In new GCSEs, students will normally all sit the same exam so that all have the opportunity to get the highest grades. Tiering will continue for some subjects though. For instance, maths will be tiered, since Ofqual says it is 'not possible' to design an exam that will stretch the most able while also giving less-able students the chance to demonstrate their knowledge.

I don't see what the point of this is. The '9' grade will just become easier to obtain, degrading its value.

Exactly! That is why the government should stop messing around with all these levels and stuff. I mean, come on! We students have enough trouble learning stuff without having to learn the way that the markers will assess how we learn the stuff that we find extremely hard to learn in the first place! ALSO! The markers may most certainly be confused by this as well, meaning that maybe our results will not be as accurate as can be. FINALLY! What is the comparisons? I mean, what does a B mean on this new scale of madness and debauchery?!
Reply 6
Original post by ArchRaziel
One of the reasons why I prefer the letter system is the fact that you can't get confused if say you get a 18/20 and an A*, because they are both different letters and therefore easy to differentiate between. I'm not sure if you only get to see the letters on the proper exams as I am studying for GCSEs at the moment, please correct me if I am wrong. But what if the marker says that you got 6 marks out of lets say 10, but the actual level you get given is a 7 or a 5... It would get easily confusing. This is just my view, so sorry if you don't agree, and if you don't agree vehemently, then please state why :smile: if so, prepare for a
:battle: of wits!

I totally agree with this I love the letter system as it is simple but with 1-9 it just seems a bit weird! And I don't like the fact that everyone is doing the same exams, it will make everyone think they are the same ability which is obviously not true!

Also it says in the article that there is no direct conversion but they say that a foundation paper would be 1-5 and higher would be 4-9. Using this you can kind of 'guesstimate' that a C would be a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ben4
I totally agree with this I love the letter system as it is simple but with 1-9 it just seems a bit weird! And I don't like the fact that everyone is doing the same exams, it will make everyone think they are the same ability which is obviously not true!

Also it says in the article that there is no direct conversion but they say that a foundation paper would be 1-5 and higher would be 4-9. Using this you can kind of 'guesstimate' that a C would be a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is just complete and utter idiocy... Just when people start to get used to the letter marking, the government go "Oh yes, lets f*ck up the system". Sorry for my language, but it is just stupidity!
Reply 8
Bump - anymore opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I love Michael Gove.
Reply 10
I'm not doing GCSEs anymore but yeah the new system looks really confusing. Some people can crumble under the pressures of exams so hopefully the amound of '9' grades don't go dow. - these numbers just remind me of Key Stage 3 levels (which also confused me in Primary school lol).
Reply 11
Original post by meenu89
I love Michael Gove.

My history teacher said she'd "happily murder Michael Gove!" :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Ben4
My history teacher said she'd "happily murder Michael Gove!" :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of my Aunts is a teacher and she says he is trying his best trying to make them leave. I haven't told her that I think he is doing a good job....
Many years ago it was numbers, but 1 was high and 9 was low...
Reply 14
Original post by meenu89
One of my Aunts is a teacher and she says he is trying his best trying to make them leave. I haven't told her that I think he is doing a good job....

Yeah I haven't met one teacher who agrees with him or what he is doing..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Many years ago it was numbers, but 1 was high and 9 was low...

So basically the government are going back to an idea that they decided wasn't as good as using letters, but their switching around the order of which number means what?
:congrats: government, you've f*cked up again!

Quick Reply

Latest