American Postgraduate Philosophy Student- Accepted now help with choices

Watch this thread
Bob311
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello,

I am an American senior in college studying political science and philosophy. After spending the summer researching at Oriel College, Oxford, I decided to take a year off in between my undergraduate degree and law school to pursue philosophy in the UK. My advisors were very supportive and helped me with the process, thinking I would get a shot at a few of the top schools. Anyway, I applied to 9 schools which I have been accepted by 8 of them and waiting on one:
St. Andrews- accepted Mlitt Philosophy (SASP)
Edinburgh- accepted MSc Philosophy
Durham- accepted MA Philosophy
King's College- accepted MA Philosophy
Bistol- accepted MA philosophy
Heythrop College- accepted MA philosophy
Glasgow- accepted MLitt Philosophy
Aberdeen- accepted Mlitt philosophical research
and Oxford- decision coming in March

I come here looking for advice and experiences with the programs- mostly between St. Andrews and Edinburgh. I am waiting for Oxford, but they just told me decisions will not be out until March and I feel like if I wait that long, I might be left behind. My philosophy department chair and advisor did his MPhil at St. Andrews years ago and loved it, while I had another professor study at Edinburgh for his MSc and loved it. I come from a smaller, liberal arts college in the USA with a strong academic reputation, where I am an All- American lacrosse player, captain, and lead various community service groups. I bring this up because I would like to be active in whatever community I enter next year in both sport and service.

Obviously Oxford would be amazing, but I am not holding my breathe to get in. With the info above, what are EXPERIENCED advice on the towns, programs, potential jobs after, overall experience, accommodation, and the like. Also, how are the strengths of the programs viewed in the UK? Obviously Oxford is 1st in the world, but Edinburgh, St. Andrews and say Durham and King's? It seems that Edinburgh is an incredibly strong program, but is less heard of than St. Andrews, which as a top tier Ivy League reputation in the United States.

I really appreciate the help, and look forward to discussing with ya'll.
Bob311
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Any one with experience?
polscistudent88
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bob311)
Hello,

I am an American senior in college studying political science and philosophy. After spending the summer researching at Oriel College, Oxford, I decided to take a year off in between my undergraduate degree and law school to pursue philosophy in the UK. My advisors were very supportive and helped me with the process, thinking I would get a shot at a few of the top schools. Anyway, I applied to 9 schools which I have been accepted by 8 of them and waiting on one:

I come here looking for advice and experiences with the programs- mostly between St. Andrews and Edinburgh. I am waiting for Oxford, but they just told me decisions will not be out until March and I feel like if I wait that long, I might be left behind. My philosophy department chair and advisor did his MPhil at St. Andrews years ago and loved it, while I had another professor study at Edinburgh for his MSc and loved it. I come from a smaller, liberal arts college in the USA with a strong academic reputation, where I am an All- American lacrosse player, captain, and lead various community service groups. I bring this up because I would like to be active in whatever community I enter next year in both sport and service.

Obviously Oxford would be amazing, but I am not holding my breathe to get in. With the info above, what are EXPERIENCED advice on the towns, programs, potential jobs after, overall experience, accommodation, and the like. Also, how are the strengths of the programs viewed in the UK? Obviously Oxford is 1st in the world, but Edinburgh, St. Andrews and say Durham and King's? It seems that Edinburgh is an incredibly strong program, but is less heard of than St. Andrews, which as a top tier Ivy League reputation in the United States.

Hey!

In terms of research, I think that St Andrews and King's College are probably the strongest depts among those that you mentioned. However Durham is also a very well reputed department for philosophy (at least for what I know), with good graduate prospects.

In terms of campus life, I think both St Andrews and Durham have strong communities and activities in which you might be involved. For instance, Durham has a collegiate system, which usually helps community-building. Instead, KCL, being located in London, might suffer a little bit on this (due to the dimensions of the City). The same happens for Edinburgh (it is much smaller than London, but still a big city).
ellie.rew
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bob311)
Hello,

Yay, go Oriel!

I assume you applied for the BPhil in Oxford? I had a friend at Oriel last year who did it (he's second year now) who really loved it, though like everything in Oxford it was super intense. I'm not sure what you mean about being 'left behind' if you don't get confirmation til March though - that's early, I knew many people who didn't get a confirmed place til June, so there's no worry about getting things sorted, most of the forms to fill in come in big batches in the middle of the summer anyway, no matter when you get in.

Not a philosopher, but outside Oxford, Durham and St Andrews seem to have best reputations (though that's just what I've picked up from my BPhil friend)
Bob311
Rep:
Thank you guys for the replies. I get the sense I would fit better at a St. Andrews that is a little smaller, little closer knit of a community as I understand it. As far as Oxford goes, I did apply for the BPhil at Harris Manchester College. It is just weird that all the other schools get back to you fairly quickly but Oxford does not. I guess that is more of the United States system, where waiting for admissions anywhere is a long term event.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.6%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.85%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.16%

Watched Threads