tomcuro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, recently I received two offers from Manchester to study Chinese and Spanish (one was the masters degree) with offered grades off ABB and AAA respectively. I got three C's at AS due to an overall lack of study (something I regret) yet got my offers anyway, assumedly because I won the HSBC speaking competition for Chinese and participated in the China Bridge Competition.
Anyway, m
My point is, what is the likelihood of being offered a place if I were hypothetically to get BBB or (god forbid) BBC/BCC? I know my course is heavily undersubscribed, but if I were to receive offers with three C's, surely there'll be a slight scope of entry with my actual A2 results? I'm predicted BBB
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tomcuro)
Hi, recently I received two offers from Manchester to study Chinese and Spanish (one was the masters degree) with offered grades off ABB and AAA respectively. I got three C's at AS due to an overall lack of study (something I regret) yet got my offers anyway, assumedly because I won the HSBC speaking competition for Chinese and participated in the China Bridge Competition.
Anyway, m
My point is, what is the likelihood of being offered a place if I were hypothetically to get BBB or (god forbid) BBC/BCC? I know my course is heavily undersubscribed, but if I were to receive offers with three C's, surely there'll be a slight scope of entry with my actual A2 results? I'm predicted BBB
I don't have experience with Manchester personally, but if you are just one grade off the offer I'd say you have a good chance, particular for East Asian langs where they don't get that many applicants. And especially when you have the extras like the HSBC competition. So with BBB I'd say you'd stand a good chance of being accepted on the ABB course.
For example, my friend had a BBB offer from Salford and got accepted with ACC.

Are you doing any resits? Particularly for language exams that can be a great way of boosting your final grade. I resat my Italian AS Level written exam because I wasn't sure I'd managed an A overall when I was carrying a B from AS. My mark went up by over 10%! Didn't affect my final grade in the end like, cos I'd have got an A without the resit but it can't harm your results!

And are you doing the HSBC competition again? I'm helping out this year
oliviafjodor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the exact same position as you! Well kind of! But i achieved CCDD in my AS doing french, spanish, literature and geography. I've applied to do French and Spanish Studies at Manchester and got accepted almost immediately? It was so strange, i have plenty extra curricular, EPQ with a really strong Personal Statement etc but i just found it so bizarre to be accepted on a ABB course quickly. I'm predicted the same BBB (with much hesitance) but i was asking myself the same question! Fingers crossed we get in! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
tomcuro
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by oliviafjodor)
I'm in the exact same position as you! Well kind of! But i achieved CCDD in my AS doing french, spanish, literature and geography. I've applied to do French and Spanish Studies at Manchester and got accepted almost immediately? It was so strange, i have plenty extra curricular, EPQ with a really strong Personal Statement etc but i just found it so bizarre to be accepted on a ABB course quickly. I'm predicted the same BBB (with much hesitance) but i was asking myself the same question! Fingers crossed we get in! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I'm glad to hear some others are in the same position... What I'm thinking is that our extra curricular activities have impressed them alongside the relatively low student numbers for these courses just mean that Manchester isn't really arsed who they give offers to :')
i was shocked because I apples for mostly ABB to AAA courses and actually got all of, y offers! Fingers crossed indeed, is Manchester your first choice?
rvth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most universities will be quite lenient as to go a grade or maybe even two grades below the asking grade.
oliviafjodor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tomcuro)
Hey! I'm glad to hear some others are in the same position... What I'm thinking is that our extra curricular activities have impressed them alongside the relatively low student numbers for these courses just mean that Manchester isn't really arsed who they give offers to :')
i was shocked because I apples for mostly ABB to AAA courses and actually got all of, y offers! Fingers crossed indeed, is Manchester your first choice?
Heyy! Yes, Manchester is my first choice! I applied to MMU, Cardiff, Sheffield, Northumbria and Manchester of course, but i sent my application on 30th November and i've recieved three offers so far for french and spanish studies. Anyway, congrats! Is Manchester your first choice as well? What course are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads