heyoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I really hate English it is the worst subject ever. I was wandering if anyone else hated English or not. Or it is just me? I just hate all the literature and the essay we have to do. I wish it wasn't compulsory for GCSE. :argh:
Mystery_Man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course, its a load of crap, you can write anything and still pass.
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll be grateful for it in the future. And no, I find English fascinating, I'm doing a degree in it.

They don't make it as exciting as they could in school.
Solivagant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But poetry... :perv:
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm feeling that you've just got bad teachers, or you haven't found something you identify with in the subject yet. What makes you like your other subjects, out of curiosity?
heyoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
I'm feeling that you've just got bad teachers, or you haven't found something you identify with in the subject yet. What makes you like your other subjects, out of curiosity?
I don't know other subjects are just so much more interesting, we mostly do PEA (point, evidence, analysis) in English the same thing every lesson and we have done this for the past 4 year and I am really sick of it.
78Saab
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Currently studying English at A-Level, I would have to say it is probably my favourite subject, (closely followed by Chemistry), as it allows you to explore different concepts and ideas that other subjects restrict you from doing. The English language and all it's components are beautiful, how on earth can you hate it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sapphirez50
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Getting an A* in English Literature at GCSE was proof that the crap I wrote about a poem I've never seen before must've so so SO over the top, it blew the examiners minds the other way and made them think it ACTUALLY made sense.

I remember writing something along the lines of:
"The shape of the poem resembles that of its message. The longest three lines presented on the page portray sharp knives sticking out, piercing and cutting the reader in the same way that the war has harmed and injured the children who had to endure its blows in their young lives. This goes on to depict"...BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Pandora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by heyoo)
I don't know other subjects are just so much more interesting, we mostly do PEA (point, evidence, analysis) in English the same thing every lesson and we have done this for the past 4 year and I am really sick of it.
It becomes a lot more interesting and relevant when you get rid of PEA (or equivalent) and can add in historical context, critical opinions etc.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English is one of the best subjects, ever. You guys should appreciate its magnificence Well, Literature is great anyway, I'm not so keen on Language. Hence my annoyance that I did better in Language than Literature in my GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sbs20
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought it was amazing at GCSE. I loved all the writing I had to do though lesson learned when I decided to do it a uni. Its the most boring subject ever at uni. It has nothing to do with writing more to do with numbers and grammar and all the boring parts in-between
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by heyoo)

Bad teacher then... everything is literature, in its own way. Everything is based on thousands of tools we use to understand the world and turn it into something we can process. Maybe try learning it on your own or telling your teacher it's tedious?

I'll freely admit exam stuff is pretty crummy.
Saoirse423
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it really comes down to how you're taught the subject. The English teacher I've had for the past 6 years is quite possibly the best teacher you could ever ask for. He easily makes the subject so enjoyable and interesting and everyone loves his classes.

I personally believe that English Literature is a lot more enjoyable than Language as I feel it gives you the opportunity to be more "deep" if you know what I mean.

But yeah I found poetry to be the worst module in Lit. It was probably the most difficult thing to get my head around and understand.
EastGuava
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sapphirez50)
Getting an A* in English Literature at GCSE was proof that the crap I wrote about a poem I've never seen before must've so so SO over the top, it blew the examiners minds the other way and made them think it ACTUALLY made sense.

I remember writing something along the lines of:
"The shape of the poem resembles that of its message. The longest three lines presented on the page portray sharp knives sticking out, piercing and cutting the reader in the same way that the war has harmed and injured the children who had to endure its blows in their young lives. This goes on to depict"...BLAH BLAH BLAH.
That actually does sound like it makes sense! Haha.
Sapphirez50
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EastGuava)
That actually does sound like it makes sense! Haha.
At the time I needed to write SOMETHING! So I made it all up and twisted everything so that it somehow linked to the question. XD My English teacher was so impressed when I told her the next day. These "insightful" comments made her believe in me a tiny bit more that I'd get that A. In the need, got higher ;D, in her face.

But yeah - you can right literally anything as long as it SOUNDS believable.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English bores me too. Probably wasn't helped by having a teach who couldn't control the class.
SmallDuck
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry mate, I think you mean French
cleveradam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably the most enjoyable is English Literature.
BWV1007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My fav subject...
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Complete waste of time, sad how much society values English GCSE though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads