Programming or computer science and accounting

Watch this thread
Padwas
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was VERY interested in computer science and programming as a whole I learnt Visual Basic and bits of Java and even made my own ( crappy ) rpg in basic so I thought computer science would be perfect for me but recently I have come across some walls and now have a few questions

1- is it true programmers are in low demand due to of shoring
2- will the rest of my life be spent in front of a screen
3- am I doing something useful or am a another monkey in front of a screen
4- is the pay really that bad compared to accounting ( my other interest )
5-'will I still have time for rugby is i take computer science
6- how " in demand " is the programming skill compared to accounting
7- is there good chance for starting your own business or consulting
8- I heard uk is poor for computing at that there is very low job security compared to accounting

any help is greatly appreciated
Padwas
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Also is java better than c++ for gaming programming
Justpin
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Padwas)
I was VERY interested in computer science and programming as a whole I learnt Visual Basic and bits of Java and even made my own ( crappy ) rpg in basic so I thought computer science would be perfect for me but recently I have come across some walls and now have a few questions

1- is it true programmers are in low demand due to of shoring
2- will the rest of my life be spent in front of a screen
3- am I doing something useful or am a another monkey in front of a screen
4- is the pay really that bad compared to accounting ( my other interest )
5-'will I still have time for rugby is i take computer science
6- how " in demand " is the programming skill compared to accounting
7- is there good chance for starting your own business or consulting
8- I heard uk is poor for computing at that there is very low job security compared to accounting

any help is greatly appreciated

#1 Yup, I know a number of programmers, they've been through the 70s 80s and 90s.

Keith

C++ expert, he spent 2 years unemployed when his company outsourced to India.

Karen

She is a programmer for a company which starts with S and ends in co, with er in the middle. She hasn't been retrained for 5+ years hasn't had a pay increase in 5 years and is constantly threatened with outsourcing

Steve-o

Great programmer in older skool languages, was made obsolete, couldn't find a job now answers the phone in a hospital for work. This happens a lot. Look at Slashdot how many people constantly have to update their skills unpaid.

#2 Yes its a given

#3 Depends

#4 Who says accounting pay is good? The spread is a typical pyramid structure. A few at the top who see other successful people around them and therefore think all accountancy is successful and well paid. Then you get everybody else.

A typical firm for instance boss + partners well paid. Then you get middle people who are on £20-30K a year. Then you get the PQs who are on anything from 6K-14K a year. The bosses all congregate with bosses, while the low paid jobs never move. I started around the 00s. I still see jobs today which have the same starting pay as 2001. Plus there are many internship apprentice scams around.

Today you still get the high paid bosses and some managers left in the middle. But the bottom has been mostly outsourced to hell. Outsourcing is cutting into middle managers

My old firm for instance, had 4 partners David then left so it was 3 partners.

There were 6 middle manager staff, and 19 people working under them as juniors and PQs.

After David left it all changed. 4 of the middle managers were sacked. All 19 PQs were sacked. 4 secretaries from Poland were hired. Their jobs were simply to scan everything and upload it to an Indian server. The middle managers checked over the work and signed it off.

The point at which people can add value in accounting keeps rising every year and eventually those 2 middle managers I think will be sacked at which there is no bottom or middle. Good luck breaking into a career with no bottom and middle.

There are still old skool firms who will hire juniors and PQs, but the old men running them are dying out fast and if they do not outsource they cannot compete on price.

#5 Depends

#6 Accounting like computer programming is HIGHLY ripe for outsourcing.

#7 Depends

#8 Accounting has changed considerably, unless you go into industry or work in the big 4 or 10 your career will plateau quickly. There is no security and this job is ripe for outsourcing.

Consider this as a practice accountant in a small/medium firm you are effectively working piece meal jobs, your boss wants you to do the job as quickly as possible. The guy giving you the accounting job wants it done as cheaply as possible. There is no leverage and millions of Indians happy to do the job for £1 an hour. Now consider what sort of leverage you have.
Padwas
Rep:
Thanks
Padwas
Rep:
Anyone else
Padwas
Rep:
Nobody
Karchii
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
This guys is talking utter ****.

I don't want to go in to detail why, but message me privately and I will go in to detail about it!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FxckStudy)
This guys is talking utter ****.

I don't want to go in to detail why, but message me privately and I will go in to detail about it!
Might be handy for the rest of us...

For the OP

1- No, but it depends what you can program in, onshore resource will always be needed and you can't really offshore tech city
2- Yes, as it is in most decent jobs
3- Depends on the project, but as with most jobs you're likely to be another moneky
4- Depends on your skills, the ceiling is lower though
5- Depends how much you want to play
6- Approx the same
7- More so in accountancy, contractor yes, but not so much
8- Meh, its more organisation dependent than sector specific. Accountancy a bit more reliable though.
Padwas
Rep:
Thanks all of you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (6)
13.04%
Quite well (21)
45.65%
Not so good (12)
26.09%
Terrible! (7)
15.22%

Watched Threads