The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
well by the sound of it, his gym is pretty crappy like he said
There should always be one instructor for safety surely?

well by the sound of it, his gym is pretty crappy like he said

Well it's not only a gym, it does other things, the main thing is 5 a side football and badminton:rolleyes:. At the reception there's a screen showing the gym so the receptionist can see what's going on but at the times I go (usually 10-11am) I've never seen an instructor.
Couple more questions:

What about the core stability stuff I mentioned in my first post?http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/core-stability-exercises.htm Would that sort of stuff be necessary, perhaps on the cardio days?

And is there a specific order for the weights? Larger muscles first, right? Or is the order they were posted in correct/better?

Thanks.
Reply 63
That core stuff is useful; I did it when i was recovering from a knee injury. However, it isn't as necessary as weghts, cardio and a good diet. I'd say don't bother with it unless you enjoy it or feel that it really helps you.

To be honest, it isn't that important in what order you do the exercises. Do the tiring one's that use big muscles first, eg, squats, and the ones that use little muscles like curls last. I'd say experiment, and do them in the order that you want.
Reply 64
I would say alternate between legs and arms that way you are getting some good rest periods between each and reducing the time you need to spend overall in the gym. Core muscle work forms the foundation of your whole body but as aced said focus on the weights, cardio and diet for now and start thinking about core work a little bit later or you're gonna have an information overload and will probably just end up quitting it all.
Elipsis
I would say alternate between legs and arms that way you are getting some good rest periods between each and reducing the time you need to spend overall in the gym. Core muscle work forms the foundation of your whole body but as aced said focus on the weights, cardio and diet for now and start thinking about core work a little bit later or you're gonna have an information overload and will probably just end up quitting it all.

Thanks, but contradicting advice now, I might actually have to make a decision!!:eek: :eek:
Reply 66
Mr Intensity
Thanks, but contradicting advice now, I might actually have to make a decision!!:eek: :eek:

There's no point starting a new topic for this: I am 15 years old, 80 kgs, 5"10 maybe. How many calories should I be taking a day (to lose weight).
It depends how active you are really. But ensure you don't eat less than 2000 per day as this is your BMR. (Below this your body will go into starvtion mode andd hold onto fat and all you will lose is muscle).
Reply 68
hey there!

first of all, well done for u trying to get healthier and stuff!

first of all, u need to make sure u consume at least 2L of water a day, if not more, as this will increase weight loss.
U need to try and eat set meals, have a bowl of cereal such as special k and skimmed milk. then maybe a fruit snack mid morning, lunch , sandwich with no or a bit of low fat spread, with lean meatsand salad, or tuna etc etc etc . beware of stuff such as mayo and cheese, perhaps small bag of crisps (french fries - under 100 cals) fruit etc etc. and then fruit snacks odd biscuit just dnt over unldulge, low fat yogurts theres loads of things u cud have. then ur tea, just consist of something such as jacket potato, some lean meat, (watch fatty dressings) and veg or salad.
so basically u need to make sure u hae 3 good meals a day, and then fruit veg snacks in between tomake sure u dont become hungry and over indulge!

the odd, take away or portion of chips biscuit beer aint gonna do u much harm! but not everday and every week! ther are always healthy alternatives with few calories and fat!

good on ya for joining the gym!
3 times a week is a good amount to go.
not sure how far away it is, but maybe u could walk there?

by doing weights these will help to build up muscle, which in turns burns more calories than fat does, but jst remeber msucle weighs more!
cardio, u should try and do 30 mins each time u go, i understand this may be difficult at the beggining.
maybe what u could do is ,
try: :eek:
10 mins on the bike - record speed and distance u did.
10 mins on treadmill (this could consist of 2 min warm up, 2 min jog, 2walk 2 min jog 2 min cool down)- and record speed and distance u did.

then 10 mins on another cardio machine and record speed and distance etc.

after 1 or 2 weeks depending,k u cud then increase the time 2 11 mins on each, and do an extra minute on eachand record speend and distance.
on the treadmill u cud bump one of the 2 min runs to 2mins 30secs, then the same walking!

try and increase urtime GRADUALLY, then within a short amount of time either 5 or 10 weeks u will be able to do 15 on each, u will be surprised how quickly you can progress!!! :p:

its important to have some strucuture and to monitor ur successesover the time!

as for the free weights, ask someone there, thats there job, they can show u how to use them correctly without causing injury! - there paid for it :smile:

when at home u cud also try doing sit ups and press ups, jst to gived u a lift along the way! :smile: let us no how u get on xxx
Reply 69
Euan_hmfc
There's no point starting a new topic for this: I am 15 years old, 80 kgs, 5"10 maybe. How many calories should I be taking a day (to lose weight).

I am the same height as you, but 70kgs. I am pretty happy with my weight, so you could make it a goal to lose 10kgs?

Firstly don't lose anymore than 1kg per week. Otherwise the weight lost will come from a combination of fat, muscle, and water. What you want is weight loss of purely fat.

Great tip earlier; drink loads of water. It also has its advantages in making your stomach feel full so you don't overeat.

It is importantant not to undereat. I'd say that 2500 calories of decent food, and doing weights and cardio often, would be enough for some serious success.

If you work really hard, you could be in great shape in 3 months. Don't get de-moralised; it is a long process, but it's worth it.
Hi again,

I've taken the advice from this thread and started lifting weights regualrly. However, as I've already mentioned it is very limited so I'm looking at getting my own stuff. I'm looking for a barbell/dumbell set and a bench. Any suggestions please? I've seen this place mentioned a few times http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/default.asp? would you reccomend anything from there?

Thanks.
I'm down on page 2 already. Any advice guys? I'm currectly bench pressing with 2 16kg dumb bells, it's not good!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending