Should immigrant criminals be deported

Watch
Poll: Should immigrant criminals be deported are found guilty of crime
Yes- they should be deported (38)
88.37%
No- they should be imprisoned + allowed to stay (5)
11.63%
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Revealed it costs UK taxpayer £73 million just to put Eastern EU immigrants in prison at a cost of £30,000 per prisoner.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/446...pean-prisoners

Is it time that we say if you commit a crime you have to automatically leave the UK?
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I'd suspend them from entering the UK for however long jail time would be.

IE, if they assaulted someone and got nine months, I'd bar them from the UK for nine months.

Something that would take like 5 years or more though, I'd probably just say "screw 'em" and exile them forever.
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes I almost 100% believe immigrants who commit offenses should be deported. Well, maybe there should be a kind of scoring system. Eg getting a speeding ticket is hardly a terrible thing, but they should start to tally up points based on severity, so for example 10 speeding tickets would get you deported because it shows a blatant and foolish disregard. A murder would mean immediate expulsion. etc.

But yeah in general I think it's obvious that foreign criminals should be dumped back where they came from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for all crimes that would involve prison time then yes (so a speeding ticket for example would just be dealt with as per usual)
silverbolt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yep get shot of the scum
member841230
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Errr you can't just deport people. They have to be accepted by wherever they're being deported to. This can be difficult if countries don't want to take in criminals or the immigrants have become British citizens. Also remember British courts have no jurisdiction overseas. Deporting criminals could easily mean letting them go unpunished. How are you going to deter immigrants from committing crimes if they know they'll be let free (albeit outside Britain) when they're caught?

In any case deporting them is just treating the symptoms. To resolve the problem fix the underlying structures that force them into crime!
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Yes you can deport people if the law provides for it firstly if they are immigrants and they have a home country to go to and if their home country won't let them in then let the criminal claim asylum in another country we should not have to accept criminal behavior from immigrants and pay thousands to keep them
member841230
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ace123)
Yes you can deport people if the law provides for it firstly if they are immigrants and they have a home country to go to and if their home country won't let them in then let the criminal claim asylum in another country we should not have to accept criminal behavior from immigrants and pay thousands to keep them
But what country is going to pay for them to be imprisoned? Most likely nowhere. Do you want a flood of criminals moving to Britain, secure in the knowledge that when they are caught they'll just be sent home?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you commit a crime in the UK, you go to prison in the UK. Simple.

If you want to deport all foreign criminals (I'm not sure whether you'd actually be able to do that with EU citizens anyway) you'd surely have to accept back all British citizens currently incarcerated in prisons elsewhere in the world? Is that something you would be happy with?

(Original post by Ace123)
You are paying thousands to put them in jail, not keep them here... cost would be the same in putting a British person in jail. If this is an argument of cost the logical argument would be to completely scrap prisons entirely.
RedArrow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would go for the capital punishment. These are criminals. Life should give them only one chance. Let this breed just die.
Arbolus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by member841230)
Errr you can't just deport people. They have to be accepted by wherever they're being deported to. This can be difficult if countries don't want to take in criminals or the immigrants have become British citizens. Also remember British courts have no jurisdiction overseas. Deporting criminals could easily mean letting them go unpunished. How are you going to deter immigrants from committing crimes if they know they'll be let free (albeit outside Britain) when they're caught?

In any case deporting them is just treating the symptoms. To resolve the problem fix the underlying structures that force them into crime!
Britain is doing immigrants a favour by letting them in in the first place; we ought to have every right to withdraw that favour if they respond to it with ingratitude. If they don't have another home country to go back to and nowhere else will take them in, that's their problem not ours.

Citizens should of course be exempt from deportation, no matter where they were born or how they obtained citizenship, but not their non-citizen relatives or those with indefinite leave to remain.

As for jurisdiction, most similar proposals suggest that they shouldn't be deported until after completing their prison sentence. Taxpayers won't mind spending money on imprisoning foreign criminals if they know that it'll be the end of their activities in this country.
Justpin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arbolus)
Britain is doing immigrants a favour by letting them in in the first place; we ought to have every right to withdraw that favour if they respond to it with ingratitude. If they don't have another home country to go back to and nowhere else will take them in, that's their problem not ours.

Citizens should of course be exempt from deportation, no matter where they were born or how they obtained citizenship, but not their non-citizen relatives or those with indefinite leave to remain.

As for jurisdiction, most similar proposals suggest that they shouldn't be deported until after completing their prison sentence. Taxpayers won't mind spending money on imprisoning foreign criminals if they know that it'll be the end of their activities in this country.
Other countries do this, HK you work there for 7 years before they will give you citizenship. You get involved in a serious crime, they have every right to revoke it.

Curiously this has ended up with a number of stateless individuals who went to HK got citizenship then committed serious crimes. Their citizenship is revoked, but many had to renounce their former citizenships.
User570431
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Why would people say no?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If we're going to deport immigrant criminals, then we should deport non-immigrant criminals. We have a collective responsibility for people and I don't see why we should just say "It's not our problem" just because someone happens to have been born in a different country.
Blazinq
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes
Olie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by blueray)
Why would people say no?
I thought that at first, but if you read some of the posts above you, there are some good counter points for why it perhaps can't be done. I still believe they should be deported, like Arbolus said, the country is doing them a favour by letting them in, so its an insult to the country if they abuse that privilege they've been given and cost the state money, but I do recognise why it probably can't be done.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I feel deportation is a fair consequence for breaching the laws of the United Kingdom to a sufficient degree.

If you're not a British citizen and you commit a crime that warrants a prison sentence you should probably be deported or jailed and then deported.

I don't particularly buy having to have somewhere for them to go, it doesn't matter. it's like exile, the punishment is being forced from the country and if you have to face hard circumstances for that then so be it.
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Two, completely delusional people. Give me one good reason they should be allowed to stay.
wildrover
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lock them up, deport them when their sentence has been served and then bill the country they originated from. In exchange we will pay for the imprisonment of our citizens abroad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.73%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.18%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.03%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.61%

Watched Threads