How to make the general formula for area regular polygon work for circles-any ideas? Watch

jelly fish
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas on how to make my general formula for the area ofa regular polygon A = 0.5p{0.5p/[n[tan (180/n)]] work for a circle? I think it might be possible using radians or small angle approximation, but I keep getting stuck on the number of sides, which I can't eliminate frommy equationand seems necessary for polygons. Any thoughts?
Cexy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't quite see where you get your expression from - perhaps if you explain then I can help.

The way I would do it would be to imagine dividing up a polygon with n sides into n isosceles triangles, each with two sides of length r and an angle in the middle of 2pi/n. You then use the formula for the area of a triangle:

a = 0.5 ab sin C

where here you have a=b=r, and C=2pi/n (using radians, where 2pi radians = 360 degrees). Therefore the area of each triangle is

a = 0.5r2 sin(2pi/n)

and there are n triangles, so the area of the polygon is

A = na = 0.5 n r2 sin(2pi/n)

To get the area of a circle, you let n increase to infinity. This makes the angle 2pi/n very small, so that you can use the small angle approximation

sin x = x

which gives you

A = 0.5 n r2 2pi/n = pi r2

just as you expect.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see that this was posted twice! Never mind, maybe my post will help someone anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (392)
79.67%
Leave (100)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise