Can you revise while listening to music?

Watch
CallumHogan98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have my year 11 mock exams, and I know they're not as important as my finals but I still want to do really well. I listen to music about 95% of the time I'm awake, would it effect my revision in anyway?

Ladyliesel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends on what type of revision. For things like making mind maps I can, but for exam papers nope. I need to pick my songs carefully, otherwise I just spend the time dancing in my chair.
Shad1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Music does affect your revision as your brain will not be concentrating as much as it possibly could. However its up to the sort of person you are and sometimes music does help. Personally i revise with music at a low volume and I do A-Levels i did fine in my exams so dont worry. Just revise a lot and listen to music if it keeps you focused to revise and Mocks most of the time are reflective of your final grade so revise!!!!
economist2
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no.but you can work-out more whilelistenin to music.....
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
*affect

And as above, depends what you're listening to and obviously on you. Some people can't work with music and some people find it helps them. Some people find classical music helpful, and others just listen to their regular music rock/pop and that works.
I also find it makes a massive difference whether I've got it coming out my laptop speakers or through headphones.

Maximal work for me is when I'm sat down with pen and paper and my headphones in blasting out my favourite tracks. Laptop music is fine in that it doesn't distract me, but the headphones seem to genuinely help me concentrate. Something about excluding the rest of the environment.
h198gb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally, I can't revise whilst listening to music. I get distracted, and start singing along in my mind too often
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I find it helpful, can't really revise in a silent room as I just get really spaced out and distracted. Of course if I was revising for Music I'd need to be listening to some
Shad1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Basically as you can see by the comments its up the the sort of person you are. Revision with music is better than no revision at all ! Good luck !
leacor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I can't do that. When I'm listening to a song, I can't help but listen to the lyrics as well, and if I'm revising for a test while listening to a song... Well, I'll eventually end up writing what I hear instead of what I should study.
discomposure
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I listen to music when revising, mainly because it tunes out any more distracting noises (people talking, TV etc) and actually it seems to stop my mind wandering as much. It helps with breaks too- instead of timing yourself you can just stop for a couple of songs and have a little dance or whatever :p: . The only time I don't usually have music on is when I'm actually doing practice questions.

I'm a second year university student, did well in first year, GCSEs and A-levels so it can't be too bad
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hell yes.

Otherwise, it's boring.
KeywordSuccess
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is an interesting question, I myself find it a lot easier to concentrate without aural distractions, however I read a book on neurolinguistic programming, which advocated that a distraction such as music for your conscious mind actually allows your subconscious to absorb the information with less interference from your ego brain waves putting you under unnecessary pressure. Most importantly, enjoy your study time and if thy involves incorporating music and having a more relaxed feel fine. I work better on a squishy chair
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Listening to music is the only way I CAN revise... . Due to a very short attention span, if I have no sound, my mind will wonder off for hours on end. Therefore, having some sort of sound to focus on whilst daydreaming seems to significantly reduce the time taken off studying :yep: . The same applies for TV shows and movies really. I can get a tonne more work done in the 9 hours it takes to play through the Lord of the Rings trilogy than I can in a silent room :dontknow:
username1214455
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only way I get the motivation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tmorrall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get distracted by my own breathing so music is a no no for me. I have to keep 100% focus on the task in hand

Posted from TSR Mobile
dan94adibi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I usually do it when I'm doing calculations. As long as you don't lose concentration I don't see how it could be a problem.
Like in finance when I get to the theory part I go completely silence.
Zubby77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't, even if I could I'd rather not do anything to even slightly distract me - it's wasted time otherwise and I procrastinate too much anyway.

My brother used to listen to white noise though:erm:
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you could listen to concentration music.....
PerArduaAdAstra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I need absolute silence personally, but I have mates who listen to music whilst revising and do just fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (79)
27.34%
England (97)
33.56%
Belgium (25)
8.65%
Germany (37)
12.8%
Spain (5)
1.73%