The Student Room Group

Are The hobbit and The Lord of the rings good books for a 13 year old to read?

Would you recommend The hobbit and The Lord of the rings to an easily distracted 13 year old?
A 13-year-old could manage Th Hobbit, but LoTR is frankly quite dull to a modern reader.
Reply 2
They are both awesome books. I'de start with The Hobbit as its a slightly easier read and the events take place before LoTR. LoTR movies are probably better than the books.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hobbit yes good book. LoTR i did try to read but .... didnt:erm:
Yes!
I read them when I was in primary school, just before the movies started to come out.
If you're easily distracted, then maybe expect it to take a long time to read them through.
Reply 5
I would definitely recommend them. I read them when I was younger than 13 years old and loved them :smile: They are long, and some people find them dry/dull, but the characters and story quickly develop and will likely affect you and stick with you for a long time, if you stick with them. The being easily distracted might be a problem, but you can always just read a little bit at a time. Start with the Hobbit; try them and see for yourself whether you like them.
I'm an absolute fan of all of Tolkien's work, but honestly for an 'easily distracted thirteen year old' I would not recommend them.
The Hobbit, while not complex, is narrated a bit like a children's story--a teenager might find it rather patronising. LotR, on the other hand, while amazing, does require a lot of patience. I read 'dense' books at the age of twelve and thirteen, but I was still put off by LotR until I was about fourteen, and even then I didn't really get into it until the hobbits reach the barrow-downs.
So I would say it might be better to give it a while, even a year or so. Also, whenever you're introducing someone to LotR, please please ask them to skip the Prologue. It really isn't necessary and just puts the new reader off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The Hobbit yes!

LOTR should be read by anyone of any age, but only when they're ready. I started LOTR a few times over a couple of years and each time I gave up, I liked it, but it felt like too much hard work! Eventually I picked it and started reading, was hooked and is now without a doubt the best story I've ever read.
Reply 8
Have to concur with the above posters. The Hobbit, yes. Lord of the Rings is brilliant, but it moves slowly. Maybe when she's older.
Reply 9
The Hobbit, for sure. My 10 year old twin sisters are both reading it and love it. LOTR I'm not sure. Maybe in a few years.
Reply 10
Start with the Hobbit. If you find yourself getting involved in the world of the story and the character histories, rather than just the plot, then go for LoTR. 13 is no problem; easily distracted is the issue.
Go with The Hobbit first. Lord of the Rings is surprisingly quite different - personally, I've always found the LotR movies more enjoyable but the other way around with The Hobbit! :tongue: Try to read some good ol' classics as well - that's what I did when I was 13; stuff like To Kill A Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, Life of Pi are all timeless classics and very accessible
The Hobbit would be an excellent choice. I'm not sure about Lord of the Rings, maybe if they were big on fantasy. It's a complex book though, and very far removed from traditional novels in prose and structure - it is based on the traditional myth, a format used long before the novel came around - as well as it being quite dark (much darker than the films) and many of the themes may go over a young reader's head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending