The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Hi - Want to go to St. Andrews next year (2007)

Since visiting St. Andrews during the half term (a few weeks ago) I have made the decision i want to go there in 2007 to study computer science and i would be very unhappy if i had to go somewhere else. I know i can get the grades quite easily (St. Andrews has low IB requirements - 32 Points), but i am worried that i wound get an offer just because i dont really do much outside school, and i am not a confident person (Cant talk to anyone i havent known for over 6 months without feeling uncomfortable - this aint gonna help when i go uni :frown:).

(ran out of stuff to type :redface: )

If anyone has any advice, or first/second year CS work they can send me id be very greatful. Subjects in my sig if your interested :smile:

Thx,
Mike

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First off, great choice :wink: St Andrews has a fantastic CompSci department.

Don't let a lack of confidence put you off. I guarantee you'll make friends. Hell, even I managed to do it and I spend 16 hours a day in front of my computer :rofl: I'm exactly the same - if I don't know someone too well, I just can't bring myself to talk to them...and even if I DO know them, I sometimes just can't talk to them :redface: But if I can make friends at uni, anyone can :biggrin:

Advice for first year CompSci - practice Java and JavaScript. I'm so used to BASIC that I found it a bitch, but if you're comfortable with it beforehand then you should be sorted for the year :smile: I believe in second year they start on C++ (though I wouldn't know as I, uh, never got a chance to experience the second-year modules :redface:)
You don't even have to go to CS lectures - not only are they not compulsory, but all lecture notes for the course are posted online for you to download at your leisure :bunny: I think in three CS modules over two years, I went to a total of around 25-30 lectures (that's the equivalent of 5-6 weeks, or half a semester :redface:)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Oh yeah...forgot to post this earlier...

if you need it :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Got my preditions today :smile:

HL Computer Science - 7
HL Maths - 6
HL Business and Management - 5
SL English - 5
SL German - 5
SL Design and Technology - 5

I already do java at school (only subject im good at) and i teach myself GUI in my free time, but dont know any javascript so i think ill start teaching myself some in the summer so i can mention it on my personal statement :biggrin:

Shame you didnt pass your exams (read on another topic - but didnt know how to reply to someone i dont know :redface: ). You sound like a really nice person and similar to me in too many ways lol.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and ill PM you if i have any questions :smile:
Reply 4
CS_Mike
Shame you didnt pass your exams (read on another topic - but didnt know how to reply to someone i dont know :redface: ).
You could have replied anyway - I wouldn't have bitten your head off (honest :angel:)

You sound like a really nice person and similar to me in too many ways lol.
Aww, that's so sweet :redface: You'll do fine, I'm sure of it :smile:

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and ill PM you if i have any questions :smile:
No problem...you can just post here, if you want. I check TSR roughly every hour or two while I'm awake (because I have nothing better to do :biggrin:) so I'm sure I'll see any posts you leave...but sure, you can PM me too :smile:
Reply 5
How big are the rooms in the halls? i have a 28"(CRT) tv in my bedroom, would it fit in the rooms in tha halls or would i have to bring my 14" tv instead?

copied the question from a post i made months ago :wink:
Reply 6
Yeah, it'd fit...
Reply 7
Ah the 2007 are coming on, us 2006 haven't finished being the n00bs yet.

Only joking, great choice of uni, not found a nicer place in the UK yet:biggrin:
Reply 8
Solid_L
Ah the 2007 are coming on, us 2006 haven't finished being the n00bs yet.

we're gonna take over the world :cool:

Dalimyr
Yeah, it'd fit...

Reply 9
Ahhh.... 2007ers ahhhhhhhhh
Reply 10
how do you think I feel? In 2007 I'll be starting my final year! -sob-
Reply 11
Aw.... but at least you'll be an all knowing parent, looking after us babies!
Reply 12
First year Comp Sci looks easy since ive done quite a lot of it a school :biggrin:
Reply 13
Icecradle
how do you think I feel? In 2007 I\'ll be starting my final year! -sob-

old man :p:
Reply 14
CS_Mike
old man :p:
woman :wink:
Reply 15
Dalimyr
woman :wink:

How many girls are at St Andrews compared to boys? gonna be scary if theres too many unless i become more confident :redface:
Reply 16
No idea on the overall ratio...certainly in CompSci it's (perhaps fairly obviously) very male-dominated, though. From 80+ people in first year Computer Science, only half a dozen were female.
Reply 17
Dalimyr
No idea on the overall ratio...certainly in CompSci it's (perhaps fairly obviously) very male-dominated, though. From 80+ people in first year Computer Science, only half a dozen were female.

Atleast that would help avoid me looking stupid. Whenever any girl talks to me, i just get embarrased and cant say anthing :confused:
Reply 18
Nothing a bit of booze-ahol can't fix:biggrin:
Reply 19
Solid_L
Nothing a bit of booze-ahol can't fix:biggrin:

shame i dont drink *cries*

Latest

Trending

Trending