The Student Room Group

Mis sold job

So.... I started over one month ago a new job after believing it would be a great and worthwhile job move where I could settle down and make a difference within the company.

Since I have started my business development role I have not been given any guidance from my manager or time which has resulted with my not carrying out my actual job role apart from the odd pointless cold call.

I feel like there are many things which need to be addressed within this team. I do not feel like I am doing anything worth while or being pushed to my usual potential as I am very unclear of what is currently expected of me.

Furthermore on being asked to action a task, my manager had stepped in and took over himself after I was already on the case.

Many individuals are negative about this company saying that in fact their is no progression or benefits here and that they are very unappreciated.

I feel very let down and my manager is rarely about to approach the situation as he seems to be more focused with his own ideas than the team and what matters at present.

This is making me so unsure of what to do as I don't want to upset anyone by complaining this early on in my employment.

Please help.
Have you talked to your employer? Or asked to arrange a private meeting with your employer/supervisor to discuss your role within the company and what is expected of you? You will be more appreciated if you fulfil the tasks that they expect you to do. Some employers may have a manual of what they expect you to do or know. It is not a sign of weakness or complaining, but perhaps saying something like "I don't feel I know what you are expecting me to do in my job role and feel it would be beneficial for us to have a private meeting to clarify what you expect from me to enable me to work to my full capacity".

As for progression within the company, perhaps this is something to discuss at your appraisal whenever you have one next. if there is no way to move up in the company, use this experience to get you to the next stepping stone in the next job that you apply to.

As for others complaining, if they really did not want to be there, they would have probably changed jobs or switched to a different company by now (although I realise not everyone can change jobs for various reasons). Sadly lots of business no longer offer benefits to their employees due to the economic climate.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. I just feel as though I am going around in circles. I want to settle down in a company now and be able to progress and show myself as a hardworking individual.

Once my manager is back from their holiday in the new year I will have to speak to him. I would have thought they would of sat down before leaving to ensure the team was alright.

If I have to wait until the new year, do you think it may be a good idea to speak with HR, or would that cause problems not approaching the manager in the first instance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending