13.33%
This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
VM216 - Foreign Languages Motion, The Hon. barnetlad MP
This House supports the learning of foreign languages by British people as an integral part of the curriculum. To demonstrate their support, at least one debate on a motion in each parliamentary session should be conducted in two languages, one English (or Welsh) and each member using a second modern language.

Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is the best barnetlad's motion yet and I think it is a great idea at least for the fun. I just fear people will eventually not participate or use Google Translate (or similar) rather than learning the basics of a new language. I would probably use Na'vi.
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is good cultural enrichment. If MPs are unable to respond in a foreign language, there is Google Translate after all :P Perhaps we could have translators i.e. other MPs and people from the Multilingual Threads to help stimulate interest and increase participation across TSR in the House. Either way, I say we try it first- the debate has been testimony supporting that it could be successful- as we can always repeal it swiftly later on. There are many more positives I can think of than negatives. Aye!
LETSJaM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This will just turn into the most hilarious game of Chinese whispers as people interpret/translate words differently to have different meanings.

<3 x
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As amusing as it might be, if this passes the house would be bound by it and it would completely shaft the MHoC until it were repealed.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We could all use the universal language of maths.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This will end in disaster

Plus only sort of know a second language

However, it will spice the MHOC up a bit

So, aye
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
VM216 - Foreign Languages Motion, The Hon. barnetlad MP
This House supports the learning of foreign languages by British people as an integral part of the curriculum. To demonstrate their support, at least one debate on a motion in each parliamentary session should be conducted in two languages, one English (or Welsh) and each member using a second modern language.

Mr christmas speaker, can you change my vote to a nay please
Krollo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Although I really want to say yes, I'll have to abstain purely for practical reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mi parolas Esperanton, do mi ŝatas ĉi tion ideon.

Edit: Translation: I like this idea.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hear hear! As long as it is not a serious bill but instead a less important one then that will be fine. Also If Google translate would be linked in the bill with the designated language put set up for it! Or maybe use spoilers for the English translations!

An Aye for I, barnetland nice one!
Jarred
Rep:
?
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
Mr christmas speaker, can you change my vote to a nay please
Done
Cheese_Monster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
Mi parolas Esperanton, do mi ŝatas ĉi tion ideon.
dearest Green moderator, you've broken one of your own rules, face the wrath of your own paradox ;p
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cheese_Monster)
dearest Green moderator, you've broken one of your own rules, face the wrath of your own paradox ;p
Haha, I did consider that when posting, but I judged that it would be permissable in the context of the thread. I guess I don't want to chance it that TCIC will reprimand me though... so you win. I edited it.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
As amusing as it might be, if this passes the house would be bound by it and it would completely shaft the MHoC until it were repealed.
We only need to debate one motion per term (i.e. twice a year in RL time) in a dual language format.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cheese_Monster)
The wrath of a paradox sounds like an idea for the Monty Python show next year.
RoryS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is a great motion from barnetlad... aye! :yy:
Jarred
Rep:
?
The Ayes to the right: 21
The Noes to the left: 18
Abstentions: 6

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (13)
27.66%
No (26)
55.32%
Don't know (8)
17.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise