IB Further Maths Offers Watch

cjsk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've heard and read that A-Level students get reduced offers if they take A-Level or A2 Further Maths..

Does that mean people taking IB further maths get reduced offers too? I know the syllabi are different, but every source tells me that IB maths is more in-depth.. even the Sevenoaks website says IBHL maths is more comprehensive than A-level single maths..
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cjsk)
I've heard and read that A-Level students get reduced offers if they take A-Level or A2 Further Maths..

Does that mean people taking IB further maths get reduced offers too? I know the syllabi are different, but every source tells me that IB maths is more in-depth.. even the Sevenoaks website says IBHL maths is more comprehensive than A-level single maths..
:wavey:

Umm, who did you hear this from? It depends entirely on the university and the course. Sometimes for a quantitative course at a competitive uni, people with A2 FM will receive a slightly easier requirement. Other time, it'll just mean that they'll have a higher likelihood of receiving the same AAA (or whatever else) offer.
Madprof
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hiya, welcome to TSR!

Yeah, there is annecdotal evidence from school friends of offers for physics and maths varying according to STEP paper results or AEAs, and whether or not someone is taking Further Maths AS/A2. (Also, I found Warwick maths department have fairly flexible offers).

IB requirements tend to be less well documented, but I see no reason why IB offers aren't also flexible - with respect to AEA or STEP if not further maths. If you're applying for maths certainly (or maybe physics), then you will most probably be doing at least STEP anyway.

I suppose the obvious answer to this is 'ring up and ask', especially if you know that course has flexible offers for A-level students.
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some unis give a-level maths offers of "AAB or ABB if further maths" is included (for example. Could be ABB or BBB etc) . I've only ever seen this for maths. If you were applying for a maths degree they would assume that you would have higher maths and so you would probably not get a reduced offer, just the standard IB offer for the course. Whether or not the comparative difficulty of the IB offer would be less than AAB I wouldn't know.
cjsk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
i forgot to mention i'm applying to study maths.. and i got the information about a-level flexible offers from the actual admissions tutors themselves during open day presentations..

but what a lot of people do not know/misunderstand is that there actually is a separate IB course called "Further Mathematics" that's distinct from both IBHL maths and a-level further maths.. i think, actually, it's quite a rare course, because i know several people taking IB themselves have not heard of it and that some of the admissions tutors i've asked aren't familiar with the syllabus..

i'm going to try emailing the universities, and i'll post back here, just in case someone has the same question..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed