Turn on thread page Beta

Suicide watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello Aurion

Thanks for your post, but that's just it, i don't know if i can pass uni, i fail with all the opportunities afforded to me, and i don't feel that i'm worth anyone's time at all.

I know this is all me me me, apologies for that, it's just how I view myself right now

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen a doctor? They may be able to prescribe you some anti depressants or something. I know that its not a very nice thing to have to do, but it could help you get out of this rut youre in then you could see about coming of them. If you are depressed to the extent of considering suicide i think you need more than just a break. Professional help form people with experience would be best for you i think. Although everyone on here wants to help, im not sure that we can! Sure you can come on here for support etc, but couselling etc seems to be a good option.
    Hope things work out for you

ReputationRep:
    i know that at times like this you can feel like there is no point in carrying on because youre all alone in the world and everything you do falls to pieces. cause ive been there, i once thought that everyone would be much happier had i not been around. if you really put yourself into your course you will pass it in the end and you will feel better about it because you have put so much work into it. try and look on the positive side of things (even though it might seem like there isnt one) sure you taken a fall but you can always get back up again.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

you're right about the docs/antidepressants. I shall go and see what can be done at the doctors.

Thankyou for helping out. I try hard but never seem to succeed, that's a big problem that i need to fix. As well as being quite lonely, which is something else to fix. I just need a bit of help, which is why i'm posting So thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    hey at least youre posting smily faces now

ReputationRep:
    raaa!

ReputationRep:
    well you certainly sound happier in which case my mission is accomplished

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I think University is getting you down quite a bit, the fact you keep failing is just a constant reminder. University doesn't make you anything spectacular, so if you don't feel it is the place for you then give it up. Get a job for a while, you will HAVE to wake up in the morning then, and you will HAVE to meet new people, this will get you some money. You could do it for a few months and then go and travel the world. You need new, exciting things in your life which remind you how great the world is, and how you can do anything if you put your mind up to it.

You're stuck in a vicious circle, you don't want to get up in the morning, so you fail. You fail, then you are miserable. If I were you, I'd take some time out from it. You need to get a job which inspires you for a while, anything trivial would do, as long as it shows you have your own qualities and can be successful in an area of life.

As for love, oh come off it. Most people have failed relationships, look at the divorce rates, but it does not mean it will be like that forever. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. & If you get out there, you will meet your match.

How about taking up some sports too? They make everybody happy in the end, and will boost your self - worth. Perhaps join a team. These are all silly little suggestions, but they will work wonders. You will meet new people, and it will get you out of the house.

As for your parents, all parents say stupid things, it doesn't mean they are corroborating with the idea of you committing suicide. Stop thinking about suicide, that will encourage yet another deep vicious circle. You obviously have something going for you, you got into a good university, you're not unintelligent. Suicide is the last resort for many people and I don't think you are on the last resort.

Remember, there are always people who care and love you, they might not show it, but there are. I'm sitting here writing this for somebody I don't know, and this in itself proves that people care about others and wouldn't want them to go through life being miserable and alone. But, life is really what you make of it. If you think life is about being stuck at uni failing all of the time, then I think most people would feel suicide is an option. But it's just a degree. Life is something only you can control really. If I were you though, I'd feel the need for new, exciting, spontaneity in my life, grab the world with both hands, travel, explore, do sports, meet people, find a new passion, get a job, get some money, this will open up doors!

On another note, doctors/counsellors will help you. On the thing about anti - depressants, I'd be wary, I always think they make you become very dependent and do more harm than good in the long term? Cheer up, the world is your oyster! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is PLEASE don't kill yourself - it would be such a waste. What's more depressing - the thought of going through a bad patch with the inevitability of everything sorting itself out sooner or later? Or the prospect of eternal nothingness and never being happy again? Life is such a gift - you can get so much out of life, as difficult as it may be for you to see now. Just don't give up, don't let the problems win. Your parents sound pretty horrible to be honest, you don't need that negativity in your life, they have no right to treat you that way. Remember, just because they're your parents, it doesn't make them right. You don't have to be holy to have a kid - you just need to have sex! So if they're getting you down and being so mean, don't listen. Cut them out of your life for now, distance yourself until you feel better about things.

Life is like a roller coaster, there are ups and downs and even the biggest down is always followed by an up.

There are so many options for you, university isn't the be all and end all, and girls-wise, there are SO many for fish in the sea. I know everyone tells you that and I know how it might mean absolutely nothing to you; after the end of my first serious relationship I was so distraught, I felt as though I'd never meet anyone again, my life was over, and I was miserable and lonely, I couldn't get out of bed. But eventually I met the most amazing guy and we have been together for almost 2 years now and I am so happy. It just goes to show that you WILL find someone lovely. Just hang on. Good things come to those who wait!

Acne really doesn't have to be a big weight on your shoulders - a doctor can help you by giving you some medication for it.

Finally you should go to your tutor or someone at uni and tell them the problems you're having, they should be understanding and be able to do something. Also go speak to the doctor about your depression and acne. If you tell him you are thinking about suicide he is bound to take you seriously and most doctors are very nice and will be happy to help you. I think those are the first steps.

After that, the world is your oyster, do as you please and enjoy yourself, I have no doubt in my mind that when you are older and life is good you will be SO RELIEVED that you didn't do anything stupid. And you are so long, please don't waste yourself. You are precious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vard06)
    Hello everyone,

I have failed uni for the second year in a row, i just split up with my girlfriend, my acne is coming back and i have no friends. As i'm typing this tears are coming from my eyes- i don't know if i want to keep living or not.

My dad said it best - "you don't seem to get any kick out of life", and he's right, i don't. I don't enjoy anything at all. I feel very alone and i don't really want to live anymore.:confused:

I just want to throw myself off a big building.
    you sound like my sister except she failed all 3 years of uni

ReputationRep:
    Don't expect to be able to solve your problems on your own. Get professional help. You have already seen a counsellor and said it helped so you are on the way up. So keep up the progress. Doctor for acne treatment, anti depressants. Don't surround your self with people who bring you down. As your parents are unsupportive keep your distance. Don't stay in the house too much, just a walk, being in the fresh air will make you feel better. Change your thinking. NO you're not a failure, you're debating your options which is an exciting prospect. Uni hasn't motivated you so what will? Think about a whole range of possibilities. Volunteering, perhaps in a different country? Seeing people worse off than your self helps you to count your blessings. Because your down at the moment the only way is up. Things will look very different for you in a couple of weeks if you allow them to.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide isn't a pain relief - if you're dead you can't feel the relief, so what's the point? In fact - everything will get so much worse; you'd send out a shockwave of depression in committing suicide, even in people you think don't care. You'll find that, as is often the case, more people care more than they like to let on. Remember - you can't attend your own funeral, you don't get to watch what happens. If you really wanna find some outlet or relief then you can only do that by staying alive and fixing the problems. It's all very well sitting there depressed and melancholic, but the problems aren't gonna fix themselves. Suicide's just an easy way out with bad consequences for others, it's selfish essentially. I mean, Jesus - you're at uni, you have so much of your life left. God knows how many times I've felt like "right that's it now, doesn't get any better", and it does, it gets better than I could've ever conceived. It always happens, you just have to be patient and start fixing your problems, even if only slightly at first.

ReputationRep:
    Hola!

Thnakyou very much for all of your replies. You're reallly helping to see things in perspective. You all have much more positive views than me now, which is starting to sink in! (a good thing!) One person mentioned that my mum and dad are bringing me down - that's not true, they love me lots and are just frustrated that i'm not doing well.

Does anyone know if you need a degree to volunteer abroad (I always presumed htat this was the case?)

Gracias

vard06

ReputationRep:
    No certainly don't need a degree to do voluntary work abroad. There are loads of different companies, some involve quite hefty payment though! Do a google search. They're for all diff time scales, diff abilities etc.
    Glad you're thinking more positively already!

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't agree with anti-depressants. During Psychology I learn't that they are a temporary solution, when they removed the problem is still there and your happiness levels drop. Try tackle your problems naturally.

ReputationRep:
    talk to some one. also your dad didnt say you disspaoint him he just sed "you don t seem to be able to get a kick out of life.

address the problems.
    1)maye uni isnt for you..uni is not the be all and end all there are other career options (armed forces, public services, aprenticship, work you way up a job)
    2)i no break ups are hard and u probly feel that your gf was the love of your life but there are other girls out there. get back out on the dating scene, hit bars/clubs, meet new people
    3)Acne? getting acne should not be a factor in deciding whether to kill yourself. there are plenty of treatments out there, go to your GP, they'll prescribe somei
    4)no friends - go out and get some. start new hobbies, move to a different place, take up thiongs youve never had time to before. the are millins of people out there, surely you can find friends out there.

Really try put your life in perspective. Its not really that bad is it. you had the chance to go to uni, tried it and it didnt work out. What about the people out therr who never even got that chance. Your physicaly fit, clever, had a gf so im guesing your attactive and not socialy inept. I thionk you should stop feeling sorry for yourself, get out there and put yourself about. youl find thats the hardest thing but once you start youl find people who support you. lookat your life and compare it to kids with no family, no education, disabilties, third world, refugees- yours aint that bad.

identify whats wrong with your life and change it.. as the honda song goes "hate something, change something, make something better"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire8424)
    I personally don't agree with anti-depressants. During Psychology I learn't that they are a temporary solution, when they removed the problem is still there and your happiness levels drop. Try tackle your problems naturally.
    Thats a slightly dangerous attitude to have. It is essential for some people suffering from forms of depression to take anti- depressants in order to remain stable. Quite often therapy and anti depressants are prescribed together. I know people who have been told it's unlikely they will ever come off their anti- depressants, and as long as they aren't causing damage to their overall health and are keeping them healthy, i think thats fine. Depression is an illness, and although therapy can help, it doesn't always help in all situations, and a programme involving anti depressants and therapy can be essential in controlling the programme.

Lou
    xxx
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    People may have suggested this but it sounds like a case of clinical depression to me. That'll be why you have no motivation for your course and feel as though you just can't attend lectures. Antidepressants are bad bad bad things, but if they stop you from feeling worse, then they may be a good idea - otherwise, professional counselling will probably help. Symptoms of depression normally include lack of enthusiasm for almost anything, sadness (although believe it or not sadness isn't necessary), hypersomnia (sleeping more than you should, consistently), low self-esteem ("I have no friends" etc.) and it's these symptoms that cause suicidal thoughts, not the depression itself. Antidepressants actually heighten your chance of suicidal thoughts, but then they relieve your depression so might help you to get your life back on track, by which time you won't feel suicidal or depressed at all.

Something I found used to help was waiting till everywhere was quiet and going for a walk in a park or something... somewhere vaguely picturesque, quiet and deserted, even if you're not into that sort of thing (I'm not). It gives you time and space to think where your life is going and how you want your life to go on, rather than whether you want your life to go on. It's a cliché, but things can only get better... I'm not a believer in reincarnation so no matter how crap life is I know it will end for me one day, permanently, and no matter how **** things might be right now, there is that remote chance they will be better later - and if they're not, well, no harm done. That's why I've never been suicidal despite my depression.

ReputationRep:
    Killing yourself is pointless, don't run from your problems try and face them.. ok no more pain but then again no more fun, no more love, no more anything.
    killing yourself will only cause pain to others and if you are a **** you will kill yourself, imagine how your parents will feel??

listen to SKA the most upbeat music around and get a new job somewhere nice, or join the amry and kill people, now thats a good way to get rid of your pain( on others)

just don't waste your life, its a gift.

http://www.myspace.com/smallerthanyouska
    listen"!!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by HeadShock)
    listen to SKA the most upbeat music around and get a new job somewhere nice
    That's absolutely awful advice. Sorry.

(Original post by HeadShock)
    or join the amry and kill people, now thats a good way to get rid of your pain( on others)

just don't waste your life, its a gift.
    ...yeah.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2006
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.