The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know pretty much how you feel at the moment- I don't get a kick out of life either, there seems to be nothing I enjoy- I'd rather be asleep than awake because at the moment I've got nothing to get out of bed for. I know the reason I feel depressed is grounded in my unhappiness about my weight but also I'm living at home feeling like a disappointment and a drain on my family- my boss laid me off from my job without telling me so I have no money and am struggling to find work for the summer.
Things will CHANGE though- things do get better. No matter how crap things are- they can only get better. You won't be living with your parents forever- you will find people who value you for YOU. As far as Uni goes- if you like your course but being depressed is ruining it for you, as your life changes (maybe due to seeing your GP and getting medication, maybe therapy- maybe just a change in circumstance that will help change your attitude) you will find it easier to apply yourself and enjoy it.
My sister failed her 1st year, failed her retakes- re-took the year + scraped her way through another set of retakes. In the second year she's completely changed though, she enjoys the course + goes to, well not all her lectures, but a hell of a lot more than before- nobody thought she'd finish the course but it looks like she will now. Even if she doesn't there's a hell of a lot of careers that you can still go into without a degree, or other training you can do.
Things will change- suicide is NOT a better option than life. Every time I consider suicide I have to ask 'Am I certain that things will always be this crap?' and the answer is NO- life will get better, maybe when I go to Uni, maybe not until I find a great partner, maybe not until I have kids- maybe not even until I retire, but there are so many chances for life to get better you can't be anywhere near certain that it won't.
Don't worry- hope things turn around for you soon xxx
Reply 41
Lucyvet2006
I know pretty much how you feel at the moment- I don't get a kick out of life either, there seems to be nothing I enjoy- I'd rather be asleep than awake because at the moment I've got nothing to get out of bed for.

:ditto: Life just seems to be so pointless at times and I no longer enjoy the things that I used to or anything for that matter:frown:
Reply 42
I think for some people it's because exams are over. Strange as it seems just when you think you should be relaxing and celebrating it's almost an anticlimax. You're too tired to bother with anything, it's all too much effort.
Reply 43
hey it works for some people
HeadShock
hey it works for some people

It's still awful advice. This isn't a bout of sadness, it's depression, in the medical sense. No amount of music will cure that.
vard06
But i would acheive something through suicide , i wouldn't be so upset anymore:smile:

there will be a point in your life where you will be so glad you are alive, at the moment life may be really crap, but once you get through the tough times there will be things to live for!
if you're degree at uni is not for you, and you dont want to go to the seminars etc, dont bother. find something else you like doing, for example my uncle runs skiing trips throughout winter (mainly so he can go skiing himself :smile: ) and if you cant see any oportunities go out looking for them
good luck i hope things get better soon
Reply 46
if things arnt ok then its not the end?

u can make urself into someone u really wanna be? what job would u like to do? why not quit uni start out get a job that u wanna do?
u must have a few friends at leats or ppl u cud go out with - go out whetyher its to the pub or jst round to a mates? and girls theres loadsa pussy out there :smile: if ur not together its because ur not right together, its better to be single and able to go after who u want than it is to be with some1 that isnt a happy relatioship and what u both want?

no matter how hard life is --> everyone has dreams and ambitions and something u wanna do in live? well go out there and do it!
live th elife u wanna live! xxx
Reply 47
generalebriety
People may have suggested this but it sounds like a case of clinical depression to me. That'll be why you have no motivation for your course and feel as though you just can't attend lectures. Antidepressants are bad bad bad things, but if they stop you from feeling worse, then they may be a good idea - otherwise, professional counselling will probably help. Symptoms of depression normally include lack of enthusiasm for almost anything, sadness (although believe it or not sadness isn't necessary), hypersomnia (sleeping more than you should, consistently), low self-esteem ("I have no friends" etc.) and it's these symptoms that cause suicidal thoughts, not the depression itself. Antidepressants actually heighten your chance of suicidal thoughts, but then they relieve your depression so might help you to get your life back on track, by which time you won't feel suicidal or depressed at all. :smile:

Something I found used to help was waiting till everywhere was quiet and going for a walk in a park or something... somewhere vaguely picturesque, quiet and deserted, even if you're not into that sort of thing (I'm not). It gives you time and space to think where your life is going and how you want your life to go on, rather than whether you want your life to go on. It's a cliché, but things can only get better... I'm not a believer in reincarnation so no matter how crap life is I know it will end for me one day, permanently, and no matter how **** things might be right now, there is that remote chance they will be better later - and if they're not, well, no harm done. That's why I've never been suicidal despite my depression. :smile:

Thanks for supporting what i said, I was only trying to help and another user told me I was wrong!
ok this is going to be brutal

wake the hell up you selfish little git, you wanna kill yourself then your going to do two things, first prove to everyone that you are a waste and a failure and the other thing your gonna do which is far more important is you are going to make everyone who loves you in a life a misery How the hell do you think your parents are going to feel when they find your corpse the morning after, how about your brother sisters and friends, the guilt they will live with. Your fathers words will haunt him for the rest of his days.
Killing yourself is the easy way out the cowards way out the i cant be arsed with it all way out. Killing yourself is easy grab a rope a sharp blade a pack of pills its all over quickly for you but those who are left behind are the ones that really suffer. Your gone your not going to care and all you will leave as your epitaph is misery. Your a selfish little **** to be thining this is the only option for you. Giving up is easy fighting is hard. Life is hard if it was easy then it would be boring and the world can throw some real nasty knocks your way. Whilst your being a banquet for worms you parents and family and friends will have to struggle with the loss. You kill yourself and all you prove is that you dont have what it takes.
Life is hard deal with it the way the rest of us do, the way we all have to go on with it. You want to prove your father wrong then fight it make something of yourself.
So you failed uni
so bloody what?
Theres more to life than schooling.

OK NOW BEFORE EVERYONE NEG REPS ME WITH YOUR A B*STARD AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT AND SOME OTHER LOAD OF EMO CRAP HERES MY STORY

I've been depressed. From the ages of 11 till i was 20. I had to see a consuller at 11 becasue in school one time some students actually caught me when i was about to hang myself.
When i was 15 i actually went to kill myself. I took a heart stimulant overdose for reasons i dont need to disclose. My grandparents caught me vomiting in the toilet, and i didnt tell thm. THey then had to hold me down as i was thrashing in my bed through convulsions. In the ambulance i still didnt tell them what happened saying i had been given some red sweets at school. (i dont remmeber any of this i got told when i woke up) Once in the hospital i was in a coma for a week and four major and one minor heart attack, my viens collapsed, my stomach was nearly twisted inside out and my lungs flooded. My grandparents and mother were told twice i would not live through the night. My friends came in in droves At one point i was dead for 33 seconds before they revivied me.

I was were you were OP, i thought i had nothing left, no life no future nor friends i thought i was a screw up and that it would genuinely be better if i was dead.
The gods spared me it wasnt my time at least, i believe that.
But there is always something out there. This world can be cruel yes i agree but it can also be an amazing wonderful beautiful place filled with amazingly funny wierd wacky people.
You failed uni? Heres another thing i skipped college i never went i had enough of school. I went straight into full time employment. By the time i was 19 i was running my own department as a junior manager. Now at 24 im a manager in a banking call centre. There is so much in life to see and do.

Two things.
First off, the reason i said what i said at the top is that "dont kill yourself" is all well and good, but sometimes you need a sharp shock to wake up a bit. I had one from one of my best friends (though i didnt realise it at the time) when i was still in the hospital. She really laid into me, and it made me realise what id done was stupid. I dont have regrets in my life becasue to regret is not to learn the lessons. I dont regret what i did as it made me a much stronger person in time. It took a few years but i got there. Now im just an arrogant jerk heh heh.
Two.
Music can help not EMO crap like stained but proper music. A sng that pulled me through a lot was meat loafs "everything louder than everything else" particualrly one line and maybe you should consider it

"a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age."

Education is not the end of the world if you screw it up who cares. There is nothing in life you cant get providing you are willing to work for it. And that includes enjoying yourslef in life. I learned some hard lessons when i was younger but what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

Life can be a bitch but it can also be wonderful.
If you need to scream at someone you can scream at me

cadre
Cadre_Of_Storms, I have just read the longest post I've ever seen on TSR, and lost all respect I may ever have had for you, you absolute insensitive arsehole. For someone who's been depressed, the "shut the **** up and take it like a man, I'm depressed too, we all are" approach should be well known to you. And you should know damn well it does nothing but make people angry and upset and feel even more worthless. You talk about "emo crap" in your post as if it's something bad to be depressed and you don't for a second seem to have any sympathy for those who are, when you're the one who took the ****ing pills. You don't deserve neg rep, you deserve a smack in the face.

I'm all for taking the hard, cold shock treatment, but what the hell is "wake the hell up you selfish little git, you're an emo, I had it much worse than you and tried to kill myself, I'm a complete hypocrite and I'm going to shout at you for it even though you've decided to go to the doctor's now already" going to do? Make him 'snap out of it'? Make him think "ooh yeah life really isn't that bad"? No, it's going to make him think you're a dick at best, and at worst, if he believes your rubbish, it's going to make him feel much worse even than he originally did.

People like you make me so angry it's unbelievable.
Assuming this case is genuine you cant go saying nasty and silly unhelpful stuff like "try it". I don't know how serious this guy is, if at all, but why take the chance, you could have a lot on your conscience. There's times when everybody feels low, and as cheesy and cliche as it sounds it does get better and people who've had a lot of cra ptimes in thier life and get over it arew better equipped should they get themselves out of the rut, and imo can really appreciate the great things in life a lot more than those who've always had it easy. Bear in mind there are people who are a lot lot lot worse off than you, and people who have no choice but to die, would it really be a wise and fair thing for you to do.

You've got to focus on the positive things, life is never going to perfect, but from what i've read of your post, you've got a dad, and a roof over your head, and have loved someone, and are in a good English university which is a lot more than a lot of people have, some people would count you as so so lucky! You say your dad doesnt care but i can pretty much guarantee you he'd be gutted and it would ruin his life if you killed yourself. My parents have bitchy digs at me but its only because they want the best for me , and me to do the best i can, so i take it on the chin and try to prove them wrong. Seriously though, don't do it, just because you don't have to face the consequences there would be a plethora of people who did, including your ex gf who you said you love, if you really loved her would you put her through that, all her life thinking maybe she was to blame for your suicide?
Reply 51
Cadre_Of_Storms
ok this is going to be brutal

wake the hell up you selfish little git, you wanna kill yourself then your going to do two things, first prove to everyone that you are a waste and a failure and the other thing your gonna do which is far more important is you are going to make everyone who loves you in a life a misery How the hell do you think your parents are going to feel when they find your corpse the morning after, how about your brother sisters and friends, the guilt they will live with. Your fathers words will haunt him for the rest of his days.
Killing yourself is the easy way out the cowards way out the i cant be arsed with it all way out. Killing yourself is easy grab a rope a sharp blade a pack of pills its all over quickly for you but those who are left behind are the ones that really suffer. Your gone your not going to care and all you will leave as your epitaph is misery. Your a selfish little **** to be thining this is the only option for you. Giving up is easy fighting is hard. Life is hard if it was easy then it would be boring and the world can throw some real nasty knocks your way. Whilst your being a banquet for worms you parents and family and friends will have to struggle with the loss. You kill yourself and all you prove is that you dont have what it takes.
Life is hard deal with it the way the rest of us do, the way we all have to go on with it. You want to prove your father wrong then fight it make something of yourself.
So you failed uni
so bloody what?
Theres more to life than schooling.

OK NOW BEFORE EVERYONE NEG REPS ME WITH YOUR A B*STARD AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT AND SOME OTHER LOAD OF EMO CRAP HERES MY STORY

I've been depressed. From the ages of 11 till i was 20. I had to see a consuller at 11 becasue in school one time some students actually caught me when i was about to hang myself.
When i was 15 i actually went to kill myself. I took a heart stimulant overdose for reasons i dont need to disclose. My grandparents caught me vomiting in the toilet, and i didnt tell thm. THey then had to hold me down as i was thrashing in my bed through convulsions. In the ambulance i still didnt tell them what happened saying i had been given some red sweets at school. (i dont remmeber any of this i got told when i woke up) Once in the hospital i was in a coma for a week and four major and one minor heart attack, my viens collapsed, my stomach was nearly twisted inside out and my lungs flooded. My grandparents and mother were told twice i would not live through the night. My friends came in in droves At one point i was dead for 33 seconds before they revivied me.

I was were you were OP, i thought i had nothing left, no life no future nor friends i thought i was a screw up and that it would genuinely be better if i was dead.
The gods spared me it wasnt my time at least, i believe that.
But there is always something out there. This world can be cruel yes i agree but it can also be an amazing wonderful beautiful place filled with amazingly funny wierd wacky people.
You failed uni? Heres another thing i skipped college i never went i had enough of school. I went straight into full time employment. By the time i was 19 i was running my own department as a junior manager. Now at 24 im a manager in a banking call centre. There is so much in life to see and do.

Two things.
First off, the reason i said what i said at the top is that "dont kill yourself" is all well and good, but sometimes you need a sharp shock to wake up a bit. I had one from one of my best friends (though i didnt realise it at the time) when i was still in the hospital. She really laid into me, and it made me realise what id done was stupid. I dont have regrets in my life becasue to regret is not to learn the lessons. I dont regret what i did as it made me a much stronger person in time. It took a few years but i got there. Now im just an arrogant jerk heh heh.
Two.
Music can help not EMO crap like stained but proper music. A sng that pulled me through a lot was meat loafs "everything louder than everything else" particualrly one line and maybe you should consider it

"a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age."

Education is not the end of the world if you screw it up who cares. There is nothing in life you cant get providing you are willing to work for it. And that includes enjoying yourslef in life. I learned some hard lessons when i was younger but what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

Life can be a bitch but it can also be wonderful.
If you need to scream at someone you can scream at me

cadre

But that's your life, not theirs. You yourself overdosed so you can't exactly say this person is being selfish. Indeed they are from many peoples perspectives but they are probably so numb that they can't feel anything, particularly empathizing with their relatives when they are in their pine box. You won't ever talk somebody out of suicide by hurling abuse like that. You need to sympathise, perhaps wake them up but not by using appalling language like that.

Also, to some people "schooling" is a very important part and if they fail, it can be extended to their whole life being a failure. I, myself have felt low when I have received the odd dodgy grade and this brought me right down, some people handle things badly. For many people university is a big deal. You see others achieving, you are pressured by your parents & you get into incredible debt to fail. This is why a lot of people do indeed commit suicide.

But, other than that, indeed, there is more to life than uni + grades. You youself made a good go of things despite what you have been through and so too can the O/P. Also, as you said there is a lot to see in this world, and the O/P should not end their life because of this difficult period. I do also agree that it is selfish, but then some people believe they did not ask to be brought into the world, so why should they be dependent on others to go out of it? That's not to say you are justified in ending your life.

Otherwise, you Cadre, could have written your response + arguments in a much more controlled manner. Hurling abuse only signifies to the O/P how much anger and viciousness there is the world. At this time, the O/P needs to find great friends, hobbies and interests which will inspire them to live and to go on to many brilliant things. But the only way the O/P will do this is if they raise their game a little and make life what they want. Afterall, life is what you make of it. Life will be good if you are optimisit and absolutely rubbish if you are pessimistic. Also, I have experienced many a bad thing in my life. Only this year was I absolutely broken hearted and not at ease with the world after an Oxford rejection, failed driving tests and an absolute shambles of a Christmas due to tragic family events. Yes, measly to some, and no doubt as Cadre suggests the O/P here should wake up, but really, it can take some trivial things to really bring people to rock bottom.

But, O/P, it is a period of your life, it won't be forever, that I can assure you. But for this, it's down to you.
the abuse wasnt personal,
it was meant a shock back to reality,
needless to say i dont apologise for it, if it the post was meant in a horrible way to simply be abusive then i wouldnt have added to it.

and generalebriety firstly i dont really care what you think of me thats something i stopped doing a long time ago, it doesnt make life any easier when you try and make people like you. I am who i am.
You think its a good thing to be depressed? It's not its the worst feeling you can possibly have.
I never said he was an emo and never said i had it worse than him. Plus how am i a hypocrite? I dont think i said anything hypocritical in my post. I gave him my advice the same as everyone else has. I have a perspective that others have and others dont.
Reply 53
Cadre_Of_Storms
you are using the right method, shock them into realising what will happen to there family...respect for you
Reply 54
generalebriety
It's still awful advice. This isn't a bout of sadness, it's depression, in the medical sense. No amount of music will cure that.

Odd as it sounds, I DO believe there's a link between music and depression: seriously now, all we have to do is look at the so-called emo and goth subcultures (often into heavier music), and you (or at least I have anyway) see an alarming number of them often feel depressed. No offence, but it's true. And I only really started getting depressed a few months after discovering the world of heavy metal. lol.

Ah well, to the OP:
I have been in a similar situation before. I have always felt as if I am a failure, because I never feel like I have the energy or motivation to do anything.
Today's example is my driving: I've had something ludicrous like 70 lessons and still can't drive: every time I make a mistake, something burns inside and makes me want to drive straight through a wall. Makes me feel so utterly useless.
My so-called depression dates back to October-ish 2003. I had had moments before then, but never this extreme. Since then, I've had up-and-down psychological struggles to get rid of it. I was at my lowest in about Nov 2004 after breaking up with my then girlfriend. The feeling of isolation completely overwhelmed me, and I also lost a lot of weight. People began to notice and comment on how ill I looked. I felt physically shattered; every morning I'd struggle to walk downstairs without wanting to pass out.
That was its worst. Since then it's been up and down but has, over time, started to get a lot better. I must admit though that I think I might be quite low again in the next 2/3 months. But I do think I've got the experience of the problem to deal with it properly now. I guess feeling lonely is what makes it worst.

The trick my friend is to make sure you havent the time to THINK about the problem: it's all in the mind.
Fine yourself something to do. Even if it be getting lost in some music or just going for a run or swim. By ensuring you're focused on something other than the depression, you can repel it.
And even that won't always work, trust me. I would really recommend going to get some anti-depressants or seek medical advice. I've never bothered, but that's because I'm too scared of peoples' reaction.

There is a member of TSR (name forgotten) whose signature has an article about depression. It's really helpful, so keep and eye out for it.

Good luck mate,
Cal
Reply 55
DaintyDuck!
Only this year was I absolutely broken hearted and not at ease with the world after an Oxford rejection, failed driving tests and an absolute shambles of a Christmas due to tragic family events. Yes, measly to some, and no doubt as Cadre suggests the O/P here should wake up, but really, it can take some trivial things to really bring people to rock bottom.

Perfectly put, this applies to me on so many levels. What is often the killer is when you sit back and think, "hang on, I have no real problems at the minute; there are people out there being abused, suffered horrific accidents, lost half their family, live in poverty, etc" and suddenly i well up and want to obliterate myself. It is often realising your problems aren't so deep which leads you further into depression; makes you hate yourself for being depressed that little bit more. Not nice. But sadly, all you can do is think of it in a positive light. :suitd:
cally
Odd as it sounds, I DO believe there's a link between music and depression: seriously now, all we have to do is look at the so-called emo and goth subcultures (often into heavier music), and you (or at least I have anyway) see an alarming number of them often feel depressed.
Seconded.

The music serves as a vehicle to continuously pump the words within the lyrics into your subconsciousness. It engages the dark side of neuro-linguistic programming to get you hooked on that feeling - it may be morbid, but it's comforting because you're getting used to it.

It's like repeating a mantra over and over and over again. If you don't choose wisely what to put in your mind, then what you do put in will choose what follows and build upon it. Remember that your thoughts become actions, then habits, and ultimately they'll define you.
Reply 57
Hello again

Thanks for all you replies.

Feeling slightly better today, apart from....

The fact that i have to resit a module that i have no idea how to do (well in fat 5 modules) in august. Thus completely ruining my 21st birthday (in august), my holiday (in august) and everything in general. I don't get this work that i have to do, i just don't understand it.

:frown: hope everyone's well
vard06

Plus i was just talking to my ex on msn , and i now feelmuch less good!
vard06
Hello again

Thanks for all you replies.

Feeling slightly better today, apart from....

The fact that i have to resit a module that i have no idea how to do (well in fat 5 modules) in august. Thus completely ruining my 21st birthday (in august), my holiday (in august) and everything in general. I don't get this work that i have to do, i just don't understand it.

:frown: hope everyone's well
vard06

Plus i was just talking to my ex on msn , and i now feelmuch less good!

Module of what? I'm sure there's someone on here who can help you. It probably just hasn't "clicked" for you. Also, talking to people you've fallen out with (particularly ex-girlfriends/boyfriends) is never going to be a pleasant experience, but at least it's out of your system now, unless it ended in an argument... in which case it's probably best she is your ex. :smile:
Reply 59
Modules OF

Syntactic theory
phonetics and phonology
sociology of language

phonetic change: past and present
topics in the syntax of english

:smile:
x

Latest

Trending

Trending