why bring a child into this world?

Watch
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The world is an unfair and violent place, why bring someone into a world like this???
PoliticalMan14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know it's ****ed.
Dopamine Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't wait to have kids :cool:
Over2you
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Totally agree. I've tried to argue convincingly over this topic, but it's quite difficult to articulate over TSR such a deep philosophical issue
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
lonelyknight
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's hard to resist your instinct to have children :erm:
sandy99
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I gues people mostly have children not thinking about wether they will enjoy this life but for their own good, because they want someone to love and be loved by, someone who will take care of them when they're old. Many of them also believe that life is beautiful...
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
By this logic should we not all just commit suicide?
martin jol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
because my child will be the chosen one.
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get sterilized then.
xDave-
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not a bad question really. I find it surprising that people who aren't very well off want to have a kid, as it probably won't have a great life. People do it for selfish reasons, I suppose. They want a child, so they just have one. They don't really consider what the child will think of its existence, just what they can get out of having a child.
Over2you
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
By this logic should we not all just commit suicide?
lol i don't think it's the same logic at all. On the one hand you have an argument that says something shouldn't have existed in the first place. We can't possibly even conceive of that because we are alive and the alternative being death, is obviously much "worse" (for some people anyway). If you didn't come into existence (again an imagination hard to fathom) you wouldn't know the difference between life and death, whereas being alive you're obviously able to draw a distinction.
95winoj
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well if your child is able to make a difference in this world one way or another and make the world a better place, then it'll be worth it
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Over2you)
lol i don't think it's the same logic at all. On the one hand you have an argument that says something shouldn't have existed in the first place. We can't possibly even conceive of that because we are alive and the alternative being death, is obviously much "worse" (for some people anyway). If you didn't come into existence (again an imagination hard to fathom) you wouldn't know the difference between life and death, whereas being alive you're obviously able to draw a distinction.
Yeah but if the OP thinks life is a net-negative experience, then surely he or she would wish to end their own?
grizzlybär
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chocolatesauce)
The world is an unfair and violent place, why bring someone into a world like this???
the same question was raised when I was your age and if your parents had come to the conclusion that yes indeed, the world is no place for children then you wouldn't be here today.
Is (your) life really that bad?
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
(Original post by grizzlybär)
the same question was raised when I was your age and if your parents had come to the conclusion that yes indeed, the world is no place for children then you wouldn't be here today.
Is life really that bad?
I'm glad my parents didn't make that decision, but if something was to happen to my child I could never shrug of that guilt, after all it was me who brought it into this horrendous world! (I don't have any kids by the way)
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
(Original post by 95winoj)
well if your child is able to make a difference in this world one way or another and make the world a better place, then it'll be worth it
but you'll never know if your child will make a difference before it's born...
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Selfishness.
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chocolatesauce)
A world like this? The world is safer, less violent, and more prosperous than it's ever been.

Of course there are some really bad places, but overall, there's never been a better time to live.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
it may be unfair but it can also be a good place

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise