Chemistry Coursework! Please help me!

Watch this thread
clucky_chick
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I know how you can not tell me anything about how to answer our question, but I need advice on how to write the coursework itself. I think I already know the information, but I need to find a way to set it out. We are being told at school by the teacher, but he wont have done his in ages, and the board will have changed, I am under AQA Exam Board and very scared. I wanted to see if anyone could help me with preparing, and that. It is better from a student who has done it, rather than a teacher who did it 20 years ago. No offense if any teachers read my post, but you get the jist.

Thank you so much!

Clucky_Chick x
techno836
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by clucky_chick)
Hi,

I know how you can not tell me anything about how to answer our question, but I need advice on how to write the coursework itself. I think I already know the information, but I need to find a way to set it out. We are being told at school by the teacher, but he wont have done his in ages, and the board will have changed, I am under AQA Exam Board and very scared. I wanted to see if anyone could help me with preparing, and that. It is better from a student who has done it, rather than a teacher who did it 20 years ago. No offense if any teachers read my post, but you get the jist.

Thank you so much!

Clucky_Chick x
AQA ISA's are in three sections

Preparation exam
Performing experiment
Case study exam

the preparation exam involves writing your hypothesis, writing a prediction, method (worth 9 marks, 1 for English! ) and drawing up a results table.

then you perform the experiment and write up results

Then in the second exam it is split into 2 sections in Section A you answer questions based on your results (like reliability, errors and averages ) in Section B you answer questions on case studies (experiments that are related to your experiment or context) these questions can involve calculations, using your chemistry knowledge to explain what happens and mostly reading off graphs, the last question is normally comparing all the case studies together

hope this helps
clucky_chick
Rep:
Thank you so much! Only thing I am now stuck on is the graph! We are doing the graph on how long the it fizzes (Hydrochloric Acid + Ore) and am not sure how I would set this out in a time graph, I know how you would do the time part, however, what would be your other scale, time and...? So confused! :confused:
mk2212
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi,

Thank you so much!

Clucky_Chick x
Are these ISAs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Thank you so much! Only thing I am now stuck on is the graph! We are doing the graph on how long the it fizzes (Hydrochloric Acid + Ore) and am not sure how I would set this out in a time graph, I know how you would do the time part, however, what would be your other scale, time and...? So confused! :confused:
it could be few things such as concentration of acid, amount of acid, amount of ore
clucky_chick
Rep:
Yes chemistry ISA - Carbonate Ores

Independent Variable - Calcium Carbonate
Dependent Variable - Measurement (time)
Control Variable - Acid and method

How would I put the experiment to find how much calcium carbonate which is inside an ore.
I know the experiment, it's just the graph which is puzzling me:/
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yes chemistry ISA - Carbonate Ores

Independent Variable - Calcium Carbonate
Dependent Variable - Measurement (time)
Control Variable - Acid and method

How would I put the experiment to find how much calcium carbonate which is inside an ore.
I know the experiment, it's just the graph which is puzzling me:/
the independent variable must always go on the x axis and the dependant on the y axis
clucky_chick
Rep:
Excusing my awful artistic skills on a computer. This is part of what sort of graph I would draw. I know I need a line though, line graphs are what gets you the marks, as they are more accurate than the others. I have seconds, but what would I place on the other axis to make the line go up, or down and that, I am confused!

Say if I did my experiment and it took 48 seconds to stop reacting (fizzing), I would go up to nearly 50. However, where would I go for another scale, very confused
clucky_chick
Rep:
Name:  blank grid.png
Views: 368
Size:  77.3 KB me and technology, never going to be best friends!
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Name:  blank grid.png
Views: 368
Size:  77.3 KB me and technology, never going to be best friends!

Excusing my awful artistic skills on a computer. This is part of what sort of graph I would draw. I know I need a line though, line graphs are what gets you the marks, as they are more accurate than the others. I have seconds, but what would I place on the other axis to make the line go up, or down and that, I am confused!

Say if I did my experiment and it took 48 seconds to stop reacting (fizzing), I would go up to nearly 50. However, where would I go for another scale, very confused
the time would go up the side not along the bottom

the other scale would most likely be amount of CaCO3 added in grams and that would go along the bottom
clucky_chick
Rep:
Name:  graph.png
Views: 480
Size:  78.3 KB Sorry some of the writing is oddly sized, and going the wrong way around the axis. However, I have this graph now, but how would I plot an example of results, such as...

Ore - 5g
Acid - 25g
Time - 20 seconds

Ore - 10g
Acid - 25g
Time - 32 seconds

Ore - 15g
Acid - 25g
Time - 48 seconds
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Views: 480
Size:  78.3 KB Sorry some of the writing is oddly sized, and going the wrong way around the axis. However, I have this graph now, but how would I plot an example of results, such as...

Ore - 5g
Acid - 25g
Time - 20 seconds

Ore - 10g
Acid - 25g
Time - 32 seconds

Ore - 15g
Acid - 25g
Time - 48 seconds
just plot the ore and time the acid is a control vairaible to ensure it is a fair test
clucky_chick
Rep:
Oh, okay! So would this graph be correct?

Views: 304
Size:  78.9 KB
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Oh, okay! So would this graph be correct?

Views: 304
Size:  78.9 KB
Your points are correct however you DO NOT JOIN THEM UP (it's a common mistake do not do it ! ) you draw a single line of best fit like a scatter graph in maths
clucky_chick
Rep:
Ah okay

This any better?

Views: 354
Size:  78.8 KB
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ah okay

This any better?

Views: 354
Size:  78.8 KB
yes
clucky_chick
Rep:
Ah, thank you! So is that my basic Chemistry graph! Got section 1 exam about my method, pretty sure that is alright. Is there anything else you think I should include in any of my information, or remember to include? Thanks
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ah, thank you! So is that my basic Chemistry graph! Got section 1 exam about my method, pretty sure that is alright. Is there anything else you think I should include in any of my information, or remember to include? Thanks
hmmm there is usually a question asking how you calculate an average and make sure you label and put the units on the axis on your graph best of luck
clucky_chick
Rep:
Ah, averages? How would you calculate that? (sorry to be annoying, just want to be able to do everything) Units on axis?

Thanks for the luck!
techno836
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ah, averages? How would you calculate that? (sorry to be annoying, just want to be able to do everything) Units on axis?

Thanks for the luck!
for example you'd label your bottom axis Amount of CaCO3 (grams) <---- that's the units

and average you take repeated readings , add them up and then divide by how many repeats there were
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed