The Student Room Group

Energy pills

Need to lose weight but I'm struggling for motivation to go to the gym, after college I'm always really tired! Are there any pills vitamins or something to give me that extra boost? Something from tesco etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Caffeine pills.

You can get pro plus from the supermarket, although they're quite pricey for the small amount of caffeine you get.

I use caffeine pills from Myprotein.
Reply 2
I wouldn't recommend them... I'm no doctor but father said he used to live on them when he worked as a manager. Now he is suffering from severe health issues (heart, diabetes, joints). I don't think any one could say that they're the cause, but I'm sure they didn't help!

You will find a balanced, consistent and thoroughly researched diet will give you all the energy you'll need. Motivation, however, is a mind set. Apparently it takes 21 days to make something a habit, so carry on until it becomes a habit. The day you miss a gym session after those 21 days you'll feel fat and horrible for not going. However, by taking this approach in my mind I have found myself about 2 months down the line to easily fall out of the habit I started with. Push push push!
I laughed at 'but father said'
Original post by AdampskiB
I wouldn't recommend them... I'm no doctor but father said he used to live on them when he worked as a manager. Now he is suffering from severe health issues (heart, diabetes, joints). I don't think any one could say that they're the cause, but I'm sure they didn't help!

You will find a balanced, consistent and thoroughly researched diet will give you all the energy you'll need. Motivation, however, is a mind set. Apparently it takes 21 days to make something a habit, so carry on until it becomes a habit. The day you miss a gym session after those 21 days you'll feel fat and horrible for not going. However, by taking this approach in my mind I have found myself about 2 months down the line to easily fall out of the habit I started with. Push push push!

Is your dad overweight and/or inactive?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AdampskiB

Lol wtf is this

OP just get some caffeine pills (start with 50mg proplus) and use them pre workout, after you've lost the weight taper down usage and eventually stop
Reply 6
Take other people's views and opinions in your own stride I guess.
Reply 7
Caffeine pills won't ever work. Your body will develop an immunity to them and eventually you'll just need more and more. It'll also take time for the immunity to wear off. The best way is to have a balanced diet and get lots of sleep. Adrenaline helps a lot, so a lot of it is in the mind to, just psychologically believing you can go that extra mile etc.

Many energy pills are a load of crap, just filled with sugar. Don't bother with them, they'll probably do more harm then good.
Reply 8
Am I the only one who can see that caffeine pills lik pro plus or whatever aren't right for this situation. Pro Plus will make you feel physically pumped but in terms of mental stimulation you're not just suddenly going to go from "i'm not motivated to exercise" to desperately wanting to go to the gym. I once took pro plus before a run because I mentally wanted to run but I didn't have much sleep the night before so I needed the pro plus to physically get through it. If your problem is motivation then caffeine pills aren't really the right thing, why not go to the gym with a mate as that can be a good motivation to go.
Caffeine pills will f*** you up in the long run. Sleep 8+ hours a night and eat a high carb low fat diet and physically you will be good. No way to fix a lack of motivation however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dp12081994
Need to lose weight but I'm struggling for motivation to go to the gym, after college I'm always really tired! Are there any pills vitamins or something to give me that extra boost? Something from tesco etc

As everyone has said above "energy pills" aren't a long term fix, but for those mornings when you need an extra kick they work well.

We recommend the following products from our range:

http://gonutrition.com/caffeine-200
http://gonutrition.com/burnmax

Thanks, GN.
I good old bit of Nescafe always gives me a kick up the arse before training. It's the only time I ever drink coffee tbh.

I also always try and get some good complex carbs in a couple of hours before I hit the weights as well, makes for sustained energy release and good pumps. Not sure how well that'll work with whatever training you're doing, might be worth a look into.
energy pills aren't really necessary, I understand how you feel, I work in the care sector so I'll do like a 24 hour shift during which I supposedly get to sleep but the bed is crappy and the place is noisy and my waking shift starts again at 7am, I'm on my feet the whole time, I then have a 90 minute commute with plenty of walking so by the time I get home I reeeeeeaaaaally don't feel like a work out, but once you start you will feel fine and up to it... I find that eating something on my way home so I'm not hungry or low on blood sugar when I get home helps as once I start making excuses to go later I never get out and if I'm hungry I won't perform, then as soon as I get in I get straight into my running clothes because I know once I sit down and start to relax I wont want to get back up

basically as others have said it's easy to fix, change the way you're doing things a little and just force yourself to get out and you'll find it becomes easier very quickly and your body will get used to doing it
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't listen to the people recommend pro-plus, It will literally do nothing, Caffeine does however help.

If you are looking for energy and wanting to loose weight too I'd recommend the following supplements - Green Tea extract, Bitter Orange (Peal or Powder), Caffeine, Green Coffee, Cayenne and also Phenylalanine.

Obviously take note of the maximum doses of caffeine you should be taking per day as it can be lethal, The recommended daily amount is between 300-400mg.

Cayenne is a good natural thermogenic which is good for weight-loss as it heats your body and also increases your metabolism, I usually have a bowl of porridge with Cayenne pepper every morning, It's not sweet, but you get used to it and if you are committed, you'll appreciate the end results.

Going back to the Caffeine, I used to follow a program I design myself for weight-loss & muscle growth, I went down by three stone in two months and began to increase my muscle mass however I did start to take in around 800mg per day which ended up in a sore chest in the morning and also became unusually irritated. - Other side effects are obviously Insomnia, Stomach upset, Muscle tremors & in serious cases Heart Palpitations and at worst cardiac arrest.

It's all about working out your limits, Googling Fitness Supplements and going with a brand that is both trusted and affordable as there are a lot of rip-off brands out there.
Original post by KieranDJ
I wouldn't listen to the people recommend pro-plus, It will literally do nothing, Caffeine does however help.

Pro-Plus is just powdered caffeine put into pill form with some branded packaging.
Reply 15
Original post by The Blind Monk
Pro-Plus is just powdered caffeine put into pill form with some branded packaging.

I think you took what I said incorrectly, I meant although caffeine does help, Pro-Plus will not provide any results.
I think you took what I said incorrectly, I meant although caffeine does help, Pro-Plus will not provide any results.

If caffeine helps, and pro plus is caffeine, does pro plus not therefore help?
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Energy bills?
Reply 18
Pro-plus is the obvious one.
But I strongly recommend you DON'T take them. They'll give you the energy you'll need, but in the end you'll be relying on them and they are really really bad for your body.
Reply 19

Pro-plus is caffeine in a pill.

Quick Reply

Latest