The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Is it realistic for me to apply to UWE?

Hi guys,

Just a few questions and a bit of background.

Basically I am doing three a-levels from home and am looking at results like CCB or CBB.

I previously had done as levels at school however retook the year after getting cdee and during that year I had to leave due to personal reasons.

Now on the website it's UCAS Tariff says 320 points. However accompanying this is this paragraph - "A-level subjects: No specific subjects required. Points from A-Level General Studies and AS-Level subjects (not taken onto full A-Level) can be included towards overall tariff. You must have a minimum of two A-Levels."

Does this mean that I can bring forward that DEE as I am no longer taking any of those subjects and include that in my UCAS tariff? Am just looking for clarification on this as usually it is done based on A levels as a whole alone.

I am looking to study Politics and International relations and consider myself a pretty strong reader into current affairs.

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
UWE aren't too strict with entry requirements so yeah I would say you have a good chance of getting in. The grades you're predicted and the extra UCAS points added on from your DEE should be enough. I got an unconditional offer and I had a BTEC qualification 20 points short of the entry but was doing 1 fast track A level at the time. So it looks very much to me that its all based on overall UCAS, but call them up if you're still confused. Hope this helped :smile:
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for your reply. Yeah from further looking at their website they have a section on the tariff points which shows that they do accept the AS subjects that were dropped as well as General Studies which is pretty rare which puts me on to 110 Ucas points meaning I only need 200 to do the course I want.

Source:

Example 1

A student has been made a Conditional offer of 300 UCAS tariff points. Their predicted grades are:

A level Geography grade A (120 points)
A level Design Technology grade C (80 points)
A level General Studies grade C (80 points)

UWE accepts points from General Studies (and Critical Thinking), but this student is still going to be 20 points short. However, they also have the following qualification:

AS level Economics grade D (30 points)

We accept points from additional AS levels. That means that this student is on target with 310 points.
Example 2

A student has been made a Conditional offer of 340 UCAS tariff points. Their predicted grades are:

A level Psychology grade B (100 points)
A level Sociology grade B (100 points)
A level Biology grade C (80 points)

If this student had only those three A-levels, they would have to get two As and one B in order to meet the offer of 340 UCAS points. But this student also has the following qualifications:

AS Level General Studies grade C (40 points)
Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) grade C (40 Points)
Grade 6 Practical Music Examination grade Merit (40 points)

The UWE offer is based solely on points rather than grades. UWE also accepts additional AS Levels and other qualifications from the UCAS Tariff. Therefore, this student is predicted to get a total of
Reply 3
Glad to be of help and good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 4
I applied to do pol and ir too :smile: got an unconditional offer and my grades are bbc with a c at as level. You will be fine, I don't think they are too strict with grades! Good luck!! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending