Is Extra or Clearing better? Watch

TheEntertainer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've made up my mind about declining my only offer, but I can't still figure out whether it's better to decline and switch directly to Extra, or to get into the Clearing system of the same university where I'm declining my course (I know I'm not getting the grades).
From what I understood, the Clearing lists that will be available will be different from the Extra lists, right?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You're too late for Extra now, as you had to apply by June 30.
TheEntertainer
Rep:
?
Are you sure?

From 14 March - 7 July
Extra service available to eligible applicants via Track.
Or do you mean that I'm no more eligible?

Anyway, if I want to enter Clearing in the university who gave me an offer, can I accept offer in which I don't meet the conditions, and wait for the university to put me into their Clearing process?
*soph*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you still want to go to Warwick, why not email or phone them, telling them why you want to swap courses, what you want to swap to and maybe send a PS for the new course?
TheEntertainer
Rep:
?
I read further on about Clearing. But I still didn't figure out whether I must make a decision (CF,IF,Decline) in order to enter Clearing...

Anyway, I already received an e-mail from the warwick admission tutor saying that they won't take me into P.P.E. with my current grades.

Soph, you mean I could still ask to be swapped into a different course of the same uni in the same area (Economics, Int. Relations, Socials etc.?) before decision deadline (6th of July)?

Another question: are students applying through Clearing no more eligible to financial aid?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To enter Clearing, you must either hold no offers (ie decline them all), or get grades that mean you miss your offers.

If you hold no offers, you get your form a bit early, and can start enquiring into courses a bit earlier. If you're really sure you don't want your offer, this would be the best choice.

You should be eligible for the normal amount of financial aid. I don't know how it works in Italy though.
*soph*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by TheEntertainer)
Soph, you mean I could still ask to be swapped into a different course of the same uni in the same area (Economics, Int. Relations, Socials etc.?) before decision deadline (6th of July)?
Afaik yes, but be QUICK! You'll need to find out if Warwick will let you swap and see if they want you to accept your PPE offer then they transfer that to another course. If they won't let you swap courses then I'm not sure how you get into Clearing... Juno might know - do you need to accept your offer then go into Clearing when your grades are declined or can he decline the offer and go straight to Clearing?
TheEntertainer
Rep:
?
Juno, but I read that you can apply for financial aid from the university only up to a certain date (30 June?). I didn't mean aid from where I come, but from the uni establishment itself.

soph, yeah, that's what I was trying to ask;"do you need to accept your offer then go into Clearing when your grades are declined or can you decline the offer and go straight to Clearing?" now that there is no more Extra?

Another problem is: how can I actually know which courses still have places available before the Clearing lists come out in August?
Ask the uni?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you go through Clearing, you can't guarantee which uni you'll go to, as they may not have spaces in a course you want to do. If there is a particular uni you want to go to, then do ask them specifically about their extra financial help, as they'll know better than anyone.

I answered the 2nd in my post up there *points*
(Original post by Juno)
To enter Clearing, you must either hold no offers (ie decline them all), or get grades that mean you miss your offers.
Clearing lists this year are starting to come out in July. If you wait until Auguat, then the unis get A Level results about a week early, and can then see whether they will be in Clearing. So from about Monday 14 they start putting vacancy information on their websites. This will vary though, and is only a rough guide.
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think it is likely that such a popular university as Warwick would have any places at all in clearing, but I could be wrong.
But you would find a suitable course somewhere else. The clearing lists don't come out until A level results day in the UK (that's August 17th this year.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads