C1 exam technique help

Watch this thread
Alltimesarah
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey tsr
A bit early but does anyone have any hints and tips for C1 papers?
I'm trying to start with revision but I don't know how to make notes :/
Also I'm finding the wording of some past paper questions confusing as I'm not sure what to do with the question. (Like in textbooks the chapter tells you you're doing a certain topic)

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Summaiya123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Just do a lot of past paper questions, this way you will be revising and getting an idea of the kind of words they may use to throw students
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Alltimesarah)
Hey tsr
A bit early but does anyone have any hints and tips for C1 papers?
I'm trying to start with revision but I don't know how to make notes :/
Also I'm finding the wording of some past paper questions confusing as I'm not sure what to do with the question. (Like in textbooks the chapter tells you you're doing a certain topic)

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Familiarity through past papers will develop an understanding of topic

Nothing will beat a total understanding of the material as you ar going along
Alltimesarah
Rep:
Awesome I'll keep ploughing through those.
In your opinion which do you think is harder C1 or C2? (Haven't started C2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambo211
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
When i did it C2 definitely seemed harder than C1.
Alltimesarah
Rep:
(Original post by cambo211)
When i did it C2 definitely seemed harder than C1.
I guess calculators don't make everything easier. Just started D1 and that's my favourite so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
LucyTheWeird
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Neither are that hard really. I think the trig in C2 is the worst part; everything else is alright. I think the main thing is reading the question properly and making sure you know what the question wants you to do. :holmes:
Examsolutions is good if you want worked answers, I'm sure you knew that already though I would also recommend KhanAcademy just if you want to brush up on anything ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambo211
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Alltimesarah)
I guess calculators don't make everything easier. Just started D1 and that's my favourite so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the calculator makes the exam easier in the slightest.

If it's a non-calculator exam it's fairly easy to tell when you've arrived at the correct answer, usually a whole number or a nice fraction. When you bring in calculators it's at the point where you can no longer tell at a glance whether your answer is right.
Alltimesarah
Rep:

If it's a non-calculator exam it's fairly easy to tell when you've arrived at the correct answer, usually a whole number or a nice fraction. When you bring in calculators it's at the point where you can no longer tell at a glance whether your answer is right.
I guess the upper sixth students telling me calculators made things easier was just a comforting factor then :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
MK_
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I completely disagree, a calculator makes things much easier as it allows you to check your answers, particularly for calculus, while doing sums in your head is (in my opinion) much easier to get wrong. I'd say that while C2 contains more difficult content, you have to get to at least C4 before the content is difficult enough for it to be harder to get full marks in than C1.
This obviously won't be true for everyone though - if you love mental maths but hate algebra, you'll prefer C1 - it depends, as with a lot of things, entirely on who's taking the exam.
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm starting to revise C1 aswell, as we have only just recently finished.

1 paper down, a ton to go

I've recently completed a C1 paper Jan 2005 & got 97% under exam conditions; Im scared that the C1 grade boundaries will be incredibly high
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Do you even C3, bro?

But seriously, the trig in C2 is nothing compared to that in C3.
cambo211
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
Do you even C3, bro?

But seriously, the trig in C2 is nothing compared to that in C3.
Given that i did my A-level about 5 years ago, yes i have done C3.
Alltimesarah
Rep:
(Original post by LucyTheWeird)
Neither are that hard really. I think the trig in C2 is the worst part; everything else is alright. I think the main thing is reading the question properly and making sure you know what the question wants you to do. :holmes:
Examsolutions is good if you want worked answers, I'm sure you knew that already though I would also recommend KhanAcademy just if you want to brush up on anything ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alltimesarah
Rep:
(Original post by AhmedDavid)
I'm starting to revise C1 aswell, as we have only just recently finished.

1 paper down, a ton to go

I've recently completed a C1 paper Jan 2005 & got 97% under exam conditions; Im scared that the C1 grade boundaries will be incredibly high
My college gave us a Solomon paper, lets just say it didn't go as well as the past papers lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool-Light
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Rather than doing the past papers, ensure you UNDERSTAND the content first... Yes i'm trying to do the same thing :P

Some advice: You may encounter tough times where you feel a bit annoyed because you can't get the answer. However remember you have your teachers (if your in sixth-form or something idk...), US on TSR (Helpful Community) and youtube to aid you... Don't give up! Math requires hard-work, hours of dedication and consistency. - I hope that made sense.

"For indeed after hardship there is ease" (Quran 94:5).
Alltimesarah
Rep:
(Original post by Cool-Light)
Rather than doing the past papers, ensure you UNDERSTAND the content first... Yes i'm trying to do the same thing :P

Some advice: You may encounter tough times where you feel a bit annoyed because you can't get the answer. However remember you have your teachers (if your in sixth-form or something idk...), US on TSR (Helpful Community) and youtube to aid you... Don't give up! Math requires hard-work, hours of dedication and consistency. - I hope that made sense.

"For indeed after hardship there is ease" (Quran 94:5).
Thanks! maths is my toughest subject ahaa!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Bio / Physics is currently mine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (37)
26.62%
As I expected (46)
33.09%
Harder (49)
35.25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.04%

Watched Threads