Turn on thread page Beta

I Have Guitar Pro...Now What? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to learn to play guitar.

I have an acoustic guitar that needs tuning or maybe I should change the strings too cos its had the same ones for a year?

Anyway, I have Guitar Pro supposedly to learn from but I don't know how to use it!

Some advice would be good, and also some other options to learn guitar from.

ReputationRep:
    Well guitar pro is compatible with various music files. For example, power tabs. You can download these or purchase them, they can be played using guitar pro and you can do things like repeats, or adjusting the tempo, so you can learn the pieces more easily.

ReputationRep:
    I should also add that I can't read the music. I know simple TAB but the Guitar Pro one I downloaded had musical notes on...

ReputationRep:
    It should have notes as well as tablature, I think this also depends on where you get the pieces from.

ReputationRep:
    Hey wonderboy, your strings don't need changing, just tunig, you have access to a keyboard? thats the best way...

http://www.free-online-piano-lessons...StaffGuide.gif

try this link if it works... its got all the notes on, though i don't remember them all!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I've got a program somewhere that tunes it for me, when I play into the mic.

If I don't have it I'll just download something like it. The program I have is quite old and there are new ones about now.

I was gonna buy an auto tuner thing but do they work? And how do they work?

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK you can view the notes as TAB in Guitar Pro. Also it will help you tune your guitar.
    Speaking from personal experience the best way to learn from scratch with no tutor is to learn how to play 3 or 4 simple chord progressions like Em C G D or Am F C E or smth.. and practise them till you are sick and your fingertips are as hard as concrete. After that it will be much easier to go further.

ReputationRep:
    the one i've seen... you plug the guitar into it and pluck the string... and it tells you whether you need to tighten or loosen it

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

This site has a lot of Guitar Pro tabs. Only thing is you have to battle through the advertising on the site to get to them :rolleyes:

Anyway, the intro to Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd is a good place to start. Well, the first few bars. After that, it gets a little complicated.

It's basically G, 2nd fret E string, E, E, F, C, D7, D, D7, D

Get the tab though, it explains it better :p:

The way to read tab is to look at the six lines as the six strings of your guitar if you were holding it normally. The string nearest to you (bottom E) is the bottom line of the tab. A is represented by the line second from bottom etc. The numbers on the lines tell you which fret to hold the string down on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knight-of-Ni)
    the one i've seen... you plug the guitar into it and pluck the string... and it tells you whether you need to tighten or loosen it
    I have one of those! :yy: It also has a mic on it for acoustic guitars, and a pitch pipe for quick tuning!

It's a little sensitive though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    I have one of those! :yy: It also has a mic on it for acoustic guitars, and a pitch pipe for quick tuning!

It's a little sensitive though...
    does it cry?....

ReputationRep:
    Only when you don't use it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    are there any other places to download powertabs from?

ReputationRep:
    the way i learned was through reading guitar books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Radioactive Phoenix*)
    the way i learned was through reading guitar books!
    Pffft... Old fashioned...

ReputationRep:
    Just play the chords.

~OneGrey~

ReputationRep:
    Since the crackdown on tab sites by the RIAA, the main site for guitar pro tabs (mysongbook) has been limited to users own compositions etc. However, if you go to a torrent site you may be able to find a file containing thousands of songs. There are a couple, one of the latest largest ones (44,000 as opposed to, say 22,000) is helpfully assorted by genre and artist too. These are not illegal. The entire crack down is rather a sham, for as far as I know, no cases have yet to be taken to court; the law has yet to be written.

ReputationRep:
    If you want, I can send you my entire collection of tabs? I can't remember what it is, 30 or 40 thousand I think... Just PM me your e-mail address.

It's all sorts. Just a general collection. Everything from ACDC to ZZ Top. Via Fleetwood Mac, Iron Maiden, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm let me see...I have a few and I use www.guitaretab.com for tabs...

I need to spend some quality time with my geetar. I'll let you know how it goes

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.