tink15
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi I plan to study law next year at uni and would like to do a bit of light ready to get an insight into law... Any advice for a law book to read? Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
ActusReus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'de recommend Understanding law by Adams and Brownsword. Lord knows why I read it, I'm not even a law student. Economics ftw.
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey!

Letters to a Law Student, The Rule of Law and What About Law? are all good books for an insight into studying law and law itself. Try searching on Google for 'Law reading lists' as some unis publish lists of books they advise their students to read before starting their degree.

Hope this helps
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Letters to a Law Student is a goo place to start.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tink15)
Hi I plan to study law next year at uni and would like to do a bit of light ready to get an insight into law... Any advice for a law book to read? Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I strongly recommend not reading anything too heavy. Definitely no jurisprudence.

Weird Cases by Gary Slapper is fun. If you have to be serious about it, a lot of people read Letters to a Law Student or The Law Machine. But I wouldn't.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Since there are several books called The Rule of Law I should clarify I'm pretty certain the above poster was talking about the Bingham one, which is a pretty soft introduction to the subject. Depending on your university it might still be more detailed than you need to know, and rule of law arguments rarely come up in private law matters.

I'd read some cases (there are plenty available at Bailii) since that's likely going to constitute the bulk of your course.

To add a bit of depth to your essays you could read A Very Short Introduction to Jurisprudence, which will likely be more than sufficient to add another level of argument to most first-year essays. I know an above poster said not to read jurisprudence but I guarantee he's not talking about that book, rather Hart, Dworkin, Kelsen etc (which I wouldn't recommend reading unless you've read philosophy before and enjoy it).

It's probably also worth doing a little bit of background research into the English legal system (i.e. the operation of statute and precedent, it's unlikely you'll need to know much detail) unless you've done A Level law.

Uh... other stuff which might be useful... a vague understanding of basic economics... the same for various moral philosophies (basically the sort of level to be able to recite shortly the difference between act and rule utilitarianism)... of course LtaLS is great for basic essay technique... you could read a wikipedia page on the differences between common and Civil law... the same for law and equity...

Finally, read Free Culture, it's ****ing GREAT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (72)
66.06%
I don't have everything I need (37)
33.94%

Watched Threads