The Student Room Group

A levels from home: I'm not sure if I can even do this

Long story short, I always struggled in school for reasons not really related to the learning itself. Last year I ended up dropping out of school some months before my GCSEs because it got to the point where I just couldn’t do it anymore. Things got much better and are okay now but I still decided to do A-levels from home as a distance course instead of going back to school.

That’s what I’m doing now, but the more time passes the more I’m scared that I’m just not good or disciplined enough to do this and, when it comes to the exams, I’m going to end up failing. I have course materials but I’m really badly organised and when I have to make up my own structure as to what schoolwork to do and when this really isn’t good. Much of the time I end up overwhelmed by everything I have to do and unable to focus on any one thing whilst also keeping in mind the things I’ll have to learn at the end of the course. I am definitely behind on things, not massively behind but lagging enough for it to matter, but I don’t know how to stop being behind because I never know when I’ve done enough. I guess I’ve never really done enough, and this overwhelms me. Whilst I could never cope with school I do miss the times when the teachers would set you certain tasks and there’d be more structure so that I at least had some idea of whether I was doing things right.

Then comes the part I am and should be ashamed about...I’m a horrible procrastinator, and when I get overwhelmed and everything starts to seem impossible I get lazy and create mental blocks in my mind so that I’m actually preventing myself from properly focusing and getting work done. My school and home life aren’t really separate at all. I do schoolwork in my room and the rest of the time I spend reading or on the internet in my room. It gets way too easy for lines to blur and for me to put off doing schoolwork and end up spending hours trying to figure out ways of fixing other unrelated things instead or feeling less anxious about them because I can’t stop thinking about them even when I’m trying to study.

I’ve tried talking to my mum about this but she didn’t get what the problems were and said there wasn’t really anything she could do, anyway. Maybe there isn’t a problem at all and I’m just making something huge out of nothing and just need to get over myself and work harder. But I guess I wanted to ask if anyone had any tips or advice anyway, or if anyone else studied A-levels from home and found they had similar problems.
Reply 1
It's tough for subjects like sciences and essay subjects. I personally think a teacher and peer help makes getting the top grades a lot easier. I definitely would lack substance in my answers without my teacher!

Arguably a bad point of home schooling is the fees of the exams can get fairly costly. Perhaps a motivation goal is something you need? Certainly for me when I got a university offer, it's given me more intent to study outside lessons!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest