SNR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A'yup guys.

I was just wondering if anyone had any model answers of a synoptic history essay, as I'm struggling to get my head around how to structure these things. And by model, I mean ideally about grade B or above (although I'm that desperate I'll take anything that's regarded as 'synoptic').

Would love you forever.

Edit: Also, just so you know, I'm studying Tudor Rebellions (but again, not fussed).
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a starting point, out of curiosity how would you normally structure your essays?
SNR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In my first attempt for causation I did it fairly linearly, I talked about each rebellion almost perfectly in order, but broke them down cause for cause stating which one was the key reason for the rebellion. For the second one (I went up to a C so I think I must have done something right when attempting to be synoptic) I started from each major cause of rebellion i.e. religion/ dynastic dispute then discussed all the rebellions that supported the argument for and against and why. It looked a really strange essay though as I had four ridiculously chock-a-block paragraphs.
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can fully understand why you would have chosen these approaches, given it is a synoptic essay it is always tempting to write a synoptic, chronological essay. Do not do this, the mark scheme is not particularly favourable to this approach

Your second approach is more along the right lines:

A paragraph should follow a PEE/PAE structure

Point-Major cause of rebellion
Evidence/Analysis: why this was a major cause of rebellion
Explanation: Example of a major rebellion caused by this factor
Historical interpretation: a quote from a historian to support this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (184)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (148)
30.77%
Look for a job (16)
3.33%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.37%
Take a year out (84)
17.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.82%

Watched Threads