Is it possible to become a maths teacher without a maths-based degree?

Watch
fatfaceelf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am doing a Childhood, Youth and Education degree at Bath University. I did A Levels in Maths(A), History(B) and Biology(B) and I've recently decided I'd love to teach maths at a secondary school. I know I'd probably only be able to teach year 7-11 (not A-Level) if anything but that's great. Is it possible to do this? What is the fastest route and what would it cost me? Thanks so much in advance.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fatfaceelf)
I am doing a Childhood, Youth and Education degree at Bath University. I did A Levels in Maths(A), History(B) and Biology(B) and I've recently decided I'd love to teach maths at a secondary school. I know I'd probably only be able to teach year 7-11 (not A-Level) if anything but that's great. Is it possible to do this? What is the fastest route and what would it cost me? Thanks so much in advance.
If you do Teach First you will automatically be allocated Secondary Mathematics because you have an A Level in the subject.
amysnaily
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a psychology degree and have accepted an offer to study at Worcester for a PGCE Secondary Mathematics course.... The conditions of my offer are that I complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course at Worcester for 8 weeks starting June.

I have maths A level also, so yes it is possible
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i dropped out of a maths pgce a few years ago. i have a geophysics degree and got onto the course so if i can, you can.

You dont need extra subject knowledge courses unless you feel you want them.

Funding is provided in terms teaching grants upwards of £9k. Few routes into teaching:
1)school direct (train on job with salary)
2)pgce route (train in uni+ placement. no salary but grant/bursary)
3) teach first (tougher school but fairly good salary(better than school direct salary) + on the job training)

Posted from TSR Mobile
jameslad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amysnaily)
I have a psychology degree and have accepted an offer to study at Worcester for a PGCE Secondary Mathematics course.... The conditions of my offer are that I complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course at Worcester for 8 weeks starting June.

Hello!

Was wondering if you can help me out..

What classification did you getfor your degree and what grade did you get for A-Level maths if you don't mind me asking?

I will be applying for my PGCE this time next year and I'm guessing I'll get a 2:2 for my Sport studies degree. I have an A* in GCSE maths and a C for A Level Maths..

I'm just really scared about not getting onto a PGCE (I understand I will have to do SKE)
lol
amysnaily
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a 2:1 in my degree, an A at GCSE Maths and only a D at A Level Maths. I was worried I wouldn't get a place but it has turned out ok in the end.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a 2:1 in my degree, an A at GCSE Maths and only a D at A Level Maths. I was worried I wouldn't get a place but it has turned out ok in the end.
D in alevels :/. Standards of teachers are slipping!! poor kids!

Posted from TSR Mobile
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no offence but some of you prospective maths teachers have really bad alevel maths grades! I'd be a bit worried if my school teachers didnt get at least a B at alevel maths if they were to teach the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
no offence but some of you prospective maths teachers have really bad alevel maths grades! I'd be a bit worried if my school teachers didnt get at least a B at alevel maths if they were to teach the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A higher A Level grade will not make the slightest difference to their ability to teach Zane how to divide 160 by 5 or Jenni how to draw a stem and leaf diagram. Questions at this level will take up most of their timetable.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

That is awesome, Amy! How much experience did you have on teaching and with kids?
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Woah, that is cool. What made you go into teaching maths?
tory88
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could also teach A-level maths, if you wanted. You will need to do a Subject Knowledge Enahncement (SKE) course, as well as getting lots of experience.
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I teach maths and I don't have a maths a level, not did I train for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
itslili
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what kind of experience did you guys have before applying for the maths PGCE?
jameslad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well. If you're a qualified teacher, you can actually teach any subject.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
A higher A Level grade will not make the slightest difference to their ability to teach Zane how to divide 160 by 5 or Jenni how to draw a stem and leaf diagram. Questions at this level will take up most of their timetable.
That's really low. I wonder if this is one of the reasons why a portion maths graduates don't go into teaching.
naturallygreezy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
That's really low. I wonder if this is one of the reasons why a portion maths graduates don't go into teaching.
I think its mainly to do with the poor salary in comparison to other maths gradautes.
lynxmajic87
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hey Amy! And everyone teaching maths without a maths degree actually... : D

I am looking into teaching secondary maths as well, but my B.A. is in translation and I do not have GCSEs as my studies were completed outside the UK. I am willing to study for a SKE but most providers will not accept me without a conditional offer. What can I do?
Last edited by lynxmajic87; 1 year ago
Matureb
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lynxmajic87)
Hey Amy! And everyone teaching maths without a maths degree actually... : D

I am looking into teaching secondary maths as well, but my B.A. is in translation and I do not have GCSEs as my studies were completed outside the UK. I am willing to study for a SKE but most providers will not accept me without a conditional offer. What can I do?
Apply for a pgce course. If you are offered a place, it will probably be dependent on your passing a SKE. Many unis will do their own SKE.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Half the maths teachers at the school I work at don't have a maths degree since it's so hard to get good maths teachers. They even had an acting head of maths for a few months who is a PE teacher (go figure)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads