The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by RU486
Before I'd sent my UCAS off to unis, I put on there I'd be doing a computing EPQ. Now that I've got my offers/interviews I really don't want to do it anymore. I'm seriously stuck for ideas and its going to take up too much of my time. If I just don't do it now, what will the unis say come results time and I have no EPQ on the results sheet?

You have to contact them and mention that you are dropping EPQ from your application, otherwise its seen as fraud ^_^
Reply 2
You need to complete it and meet any entry requirements involving the EPQ. If it's not apart of any of your offers directly, then you still need to contact the unis to say you won't be doing it as they may have taken it into consideration when giving you an offer.
You need to inform the universities you are no longer taking it. Otherwise, in the summer, your place could be withdrawn.
Reply 4
phone up the unis ad ask whether it would affect your offer, if you have interviews maybe leave it until after so you definitely have positive stuff to talk about rather than them asking why you dropped it which might make them think you have lack of commitment/tenacity/resilience/self-discipline etc :smile: good luck with your interviews!!!!
Reply 5
Okay guys thanks for all your responses, will contact them all tomorrow :smile:

Thanks again!
Original post by RU486
Okay guys thanks for all your responses, will contact them all tomorrow :smile:

Thanks again!

Do be aware that they can choose to withdraw your offer now as a result of this. They gave you an offer on the basis of you doing an EPQ, and now that has changed they can change their own minds.
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
Do be aware that they can choose to withdraw your offer now as a result of this. They gave you an offer on the basis of you doing an EPQ, and now that has changed they can change their own minds.
<br />
<br />

I am quite worried about this possiblity. If they do tell me I have to do EPQ for an offer then I would carry through with it, there's no harm in asking is there? (Not trying to be rude or anything, am actually asking is there any harm? Haha)
Reply 8
Original post by RU486
<br />
<br />

I am quite worried about this possiblity. If they do tell me I have to do EPQ for an offer then I would carry through with it, there's no harm in asking is there? (Not trying to be rude or anything, am actually asking is there any harm? Haha)

Well better to ask than never. The last thing you want is doing something that retracts attention from your main subjects. I personally doubt the uni will retract their offer (unless your grades were iffy in the first place)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RU486
<br />
<br />

You can ask, but I would make clear that you are asking what would happen if you were to drop EPQ, rather than telling them that you've already dropped it. Then, once you have all the info, you can make an informed decision.

If unis weren't able to withdraw offers in this situation, then everyone would try it on - say they're doing a couple of extra qualifications, drop them as soon as the offers come in, all along never having intended to actually do them...
Reply 10
I stopped doing my EPQ as well after I'd received my offers (as I had made very little progress). You need to email the universities to ask. If they say no, and that the EPQ is part of the offer, then sorry you'll have to do it. Whit me, and hopefully you also, they said that the EPQ didn't count as past of the offer and if you would rather focus on the exams then you can drop the EPQ. You them need to inform UCAS so that they can remove it from your application form to avoid any confusion later on.
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
Well better to ask than never. The last thing you want is doing something that retracts attention from your main subjects. I personally doubt the uni will retract their offer (unless your grades were iffy in the first place)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ninuzu
I stopped doing my EPQ as well after I'd received my offers (as I had made very little progress). You need to email the universities to ask. If they say no, and that the EPQ is part of the offer, then sorry you'll have to do it. Whit me, and hopefully you also, they said that the EPQ didn't count as past of the offer and if you would rather focus on the exams then you can drop the EPQ. You them need to inform UCAS so that they can remove it from your application form to avoid any confusion later on.

The main thing I'm worried about is the fact that I have an interview next week, and like Cat123456 said earlier, I don't want to make myself look a weak candidate by asking before they've even seen me. Do you think I could think of a possible research point, read up a few articles etc then a week or so after my interview ask them about the whole situation and say I'd rather concentrate on my subjects etc?

I do have another interview but that's in January so obviously that's too late to decide whether to do it or not.

Definitely scared that just by simply asking they'll think I'm not a good person for their uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
You can ask, but I would make clear that you are asking what would happen if you were to drop EPQ, rather than telling them that you've already dropped it. Then, once you have all the info, you can make an informed decision.

If unis weren't able to withdraw offers in this situation, then everyone would try it on - say they're doing a couple of extra qualifications, drop them as soon as the offers come in, all along never having intended to actually do them...

Good point haha
Reply 13
Original post by RU486
The main thing I'm worried about is the fact that I have an interview next week, and like Cat123456 said earlier, I don't want to make myself look a weak candidate by asking before they've even seen me. Do you think I could think of a possible research point, read up a few articles etc then a week or so after my interview ask them about the whole situation and say I'd rather concentrate on my subjects etc?

I do have another interview but that's in January so obviously that's too late to decide whether to do it or not.

Definitely scared that just by simply asking they'll think I'm not a good person for their uni.

Ask after you have all your responses. Then the risk of them rejecting you beforehand does not exist.
Reply 14
Original post by ninuzu
Ask after you have all your responses. Then the risk of them rejecting you beforehand does not exist.

But that means I have to wait till atleast January (thats my last interview), which is too late. Around what time did you contact the unis to ask them?
Reply 15
Original post by RU486
But that means I have to wait till atleast January (thats my last interview), which is too late. Around what time did you contact the unis to ask them?

Well, UCL didn't get back to me until April, so I asked as soon as I got the offer.
Just do the EPQ and flunk it
Original post by subject1
Just do the EPQ and flunk it

Given how old this thread is, I think OP has probably made a choice by now, so I'm closing it.