peugeot 206s! advice wanted! girl rather clueless about cars lol! Watch

groovyel1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hey!
i love peugeot 206s and thats definitly what i want for my 1st car but can any1 tell me wot kind of things to look out for when wantin to buy a 2nd hand peugeot?! and any1 had any mjor problems with them?

thanx xx
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Peugeots = trouble.

My ex girlfriend went to view one ages ago at a Pug garage which had a 100 point check. She went and got the AA down who did their own check and found endless faults.

Its an OK car. Its just that when they start to go wrong, they really go wrong. Otherwise you may end up having no problems. Its Peugeot as a brand that should be scrutinised.
Lady_Muck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ignore him, he speaks out of his arse.

Anyway, I've had a Peugeot for 18 months now, it's had absolutely nothing wrong with it and I've put 36,000 miles on it *proud*, overall it has 123,000 mile on it. The only time it went wrong was when it was hideously overdue for a service and the brakes seized, it cost £20 to fix :rolleyes:

They're great! Get one. My brother had a 206 and it was a fab car.
xavier2k3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The 206 is a good little car with good fuel consumption. (In particular the 1.4's). They're a good fasionable car but unfortunately this all comes at a cost. The peugeot 206 is renowned for having many faults, mostly electrical but some mechanical. A common problem with early 206's was the break pedal becoming jammed down, which as you can imagine was very dangerous, so a good few were recalled (including my sisters). Try and pick up a later model (03 plate ~) if you can and go for a GLX or above. But be prepared for troubles when buying one. Peugeot are at the bottom of the customer satisfaction ratings and are marred by problem after problem. My sister's is currently sitting around doing nothing because it has another fault. I think i'm gonna use it while she refuses infact. Hers is a 51 plate 1.4 GLX (3 dr).

regards
--marty
Navajo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Peugeots = trouble
:ditto:

Don't get a Peugeot, they're terrible!

So unreliable...
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lady_Muck)
Ignore him, he speaks out of his arse.
:p:

Obviously a biased Pug owner. Cannot say the same for me on the other hand

And Miss Muck wouldn't know about her maintenance bills, as I bet someone else takes care of them. You better ask her father :p:
She's high maintenance.
Lady_Muck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't speak to my father - so ha! Step dad, hmmm...Actually, no. I pay my tax and insurance...Services, MOT, petrol and for the car etc, that's fair dos and parents don't mind paying for that, which is fab as I couldn't afford all of it!

Why do you own a peugeot if you blatently despise them so?!

Actually, save me doing another thread and being as you'll answer it anyway Walshie, what's a Toyota Corolla like?!
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Toyota Corolla... minicab anyone?
Lady_Muck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
!!! The new ones?!

I mean one of those, not the old shape! Minicab....Pfft...Imagine me in a minicab!
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe yeah I was just kidding, the old ones are proper minicabs though...!

Ummm don't know anything about them, someone I used to work with had one of the newer ones and never complained about it. That one looks a bit dirty though....! filth lol
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ Thats the Toyota Carina. Then we have the Honda Accords (old) which are well known cab cars

Even the Toyota Corolla VVTi 190 (T-Sport) is said to be dull. The 190 engine figures in a couple of other models such as the Celica & Elise. Basically everyone talks about this engine as being the nuts, but the Corolla gets the most criticism out of any hot hatch I have known.

The interior is like a hard alluminium dash (copy) which is straight and slanted towards the driver. I actually really liked it when I got in one. However, if feels really big and even a 190 engine was going to suffer in a beast like this, hence the criticism. But i really liked the interior aprt from the seats, which you definitely needed upgrading to full leather.

Interior: http://www.leblogauto.com/images/tdscorolla.jpg
Exterior: http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/image...compressor.jpg

The old Corolla was also a Cab. It was a lot lengthier. All the Kosovans seem to drive them these days. I odn't mean that to be offensive, but it seems like their favourite car.
xavier2k3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
After doing a bit of research, a site that will be helpful to you is www.peugeot206club.com

It's an owners club. In particular, this link will be handy: http://www.peugeot206club.com/thecar...uspension.html - It details the various known problems as regards to the suspension and breaks. If you look in the left hand menu, you can see various other problems related to the electrics, interior, engine & transmission & bodywork.

regards
--marty
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i love my 206! very fun lil car to drive and reliable.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by .jen.)
i love my 206! very fun lil car to drive and reliable.
a) how long have you had the car?
b) you hardly give it any welly being your a girl - presumtions eh?
c) very fun - explain?!?! unless you have the 180
d) no pug is reliable
Lady_Muck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
d) wrong. Mine is, very.

:rolleyes:
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lady_Muck)
d) wrong. Mine is, very.
I refuse to believe.
Answer all 4 of my questions please . . . .
Lady_Muck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a) how long have you had the car? 18 Months
b) you hardly give it any welly being your a girl - presumtions eh? Sexist no welly to try and give, it does 80mph and dies.
c) very fun - explain?!?! unless you have the 180 I never said it was fun, it's slow and boring.
d) no pug is reliable See above.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My matres had his 206 with 54,000 on the clock for two months now.

The car was puling to the left and he took it to Peugeot who said there was nothing with it and you should not take your hands of the wheel, he then took it a small local garage who told him the drive shaft was leaking and the tracking was way out.

The car also feels a bit flimsy, the seat adjusters are very cheap and feel like they will snap in your hands.

206s are good cars, build quality just lets them down a bit.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^ that just sounds like any poverty spec car though. No excuse for the drive shaft/tracking though - it's probably just been ragged to **** by the last owner.
PhilMc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't know if anyones said it but watch out for gremlins in the dash and electricals not working etc. Very common!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.85%
No (583)
72.15%

Watched Threads