Turn on thread page Beta

Maths A2- edexcel.. is it hard?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi.. i did AS Maths (edexcel) last year and i am looking to carry on with it next year (A2) but jus wanted some advice. does it get really hard or is it easier by any chance? thanks..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    it doesn't get easier. In fact, i would say that C4 is the hardest out of all the core math units. If ur good @ the integration and stuff ur fine. What r u predicted for AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    it doesn't get easier. In fact, i would say that C4 is the hardest out of all the core math units. If ur good @ the integration and stuff ur fine. What r u predicted for AS?

predicted an A... what are the harder topics.. ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    tats good, u should do fine then.
    THe harder topics are: integration, differentitation and of course trignometry + vectors (simply coz of the way the questions are asked). The first 3 are taken to a higher level and u have certain equations that u need to learn.
    i guess its harder coz time gets to u, and the quesitons are quite long to answer, so u have to make sure u know ur stuff!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oh wait u did C2, so ignore the trig part

ReputationRep:
    It is harder, but again if you go through the book properly you wont have a problem.

C3 is easy apart from the trig-- this is only 2 chapters long but is probably half the unit. It can be difficult, but practice can sort that out. You need to be good at trig in order to differentiate/integrate in C4, not to mention its worth tonnes of marks in papers.
    C4 is supposed to be the hardest unit. i found the book fairly okay, but the exam papers were tougher than expected. Having said that, this year's C3 was harder imo than C4. There is lots of integration which features heavily in papers, and vectors is also introduced-- these two are probably the toughest chapters in A level maths.

If you compare C1 & C2 to C3 & C4, its not far off being twice the amount of work. The material has been unevenly spread. If you got a good grade at AS, you'll do okay, nothing to worry about but yes you will have to work a bit harder.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i totally agree with silent ninja!
    u found C3 harder than C4??, oh wait, i did C3 in jan did u?, coz apparently it was easier than in june.

ReputationRep:
    I did it in June, found C3 a bit harder than C4 (which was quite straightforward) but didnt really find either of them 'hard.' M2 was tough.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oh i didn't do m2, i did S2 instead, that was alright. I found C4 kinda tough for me, coz i really wasnt expecting those type of questions. But i think i did fine, coz i got the earlier stuff, its just that when it came to the end, i couldn't prove that the got the same answer as they did! , oh well, hopefully the marks that i gained in my other units, as well as AS are put to use here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the style of questions was bit different to previous papers. Maybe an attempt to throw us off.
    Thats why its important to get top marks in the easier AS. It will give you space for error in A2.

ReputationRep:
    i heard a lot of the questions are to do with proof at A2,

ReputationRep:
    uuurgh yes..def harder! i hated it!

i was with OCR, but it's mostly the same stuff, just in a diff. order - also depends which non-core units you take..D1 and S1 are pretty easy

i HATED C3 and didnt find C4 as bad..but when it came to the exams i'm pretty sure i did better in C4!

don't let my hatred of maths put you off though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusuf)
    i heard a lot of the questions are to do with proof at A2,
    yeh they are - i like them though! can take a while to gt used to, but at least you know you've got the right answer, and have something to work towards

ReputationRep:
    I think the hardest stuff involved in A2 maths would be 3D vectors, but though easy for me studying bloody hard FP2.

If you are deciding to choose A2 maths you must have got As in core modules in AS, or else you would be significantly disadvantaged with those studying Further Maths and international students.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    proof?,,,,, umm didn't get any of those this year, as far as i remember anyway!, but proof was consistent only in AS, i think it was sequences, yeah?, but in A2, you don't have to worry about proof, coz its really easy if you know the identities and conversions in integration + differentiation.

silent ninja: the paper style changed this year all round the courses, that was bad, but alright, coz that would mean that boundaries would drop yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chri^s^)
    I think the hardest stuff involved in A2 maths would be 3D vectors, but though easy for me studying bloody hard FP2.

vectors were pretty much the only thing i COULD do

^^^^yeah i agree C3 was hard hard hard... didn´t do C4 though so couldn´t compare.

ReputationRep:
    its not so hard that its impossible. If u do LOTS of practice papers (i.e. all that ever exist) in the days just before the exam you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    The topics are nearly the same as AS, BUT in more depth.

Scalar vectors are the most annoying in my opinion
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    The topics are nearly the same as AS, BUT in more depth.

Scalar vectors are the most annoying in my opinion
    Oxymoron?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.