20z12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I started uni in sept until now i haven't learnt much. i transferred courses and i am still not happy with the way that they teach. its not justifiable and to be honest i don't think i will get far if i carry on with it, i've kept up to date with all hand in dates so far. But my heart isn't set on it. i'm really confused on what to do, if i leave then it messes up my finances for a later time if i want to return. and i have no back up such as a job, i go to a metropolitan university. ive wasted 3 years at college. now i'm in uni got the grades, but i really do not know where this new degree or even previous degree was going to get me. i wanted to do something in science engineering / IT. i've applied for lots of apprenticeships but even they are hard to get nowadays. Please could someone sum up what i can do to take a step forward and decide. even though i need to come up with the decision my self.

Sorry for the long message.
BPP Professional Apprenticeships
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Where are you looking for apprenticeships? All apprenticeships are listed on the National Apprenticeship Service website.

You could contact some companies directly to see if they could offer you some work experience? You could then see if science/engineering/IT is definitely for you.

A great website you could have a look at is - notgoingtouni.co.uk - lots of advice on here on different options such as apprenticeships and jobs.

If you manage to get on an apprenticeship, there is nothing stopping you from doing your degree after this - then you will have some money behind you, lots of experience and possibly a better idea of the degree you would like to do and what career you would like to go in to. Your experience will also put you ahead of a lot of graduates coming out of UNI with no industry experience.

Hope some of that helps.

Thanks,

Adele
20z12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by BPP Professional Apprenticeships)
Where are you looking for apprenticeships? All apprenticeships are listed on the National Apprenticeship Service website.

You could contact some companies directly to see if they could offer you some work experience? You could then see if science/engineering/IT is definitely for you.

A great website you could have a look at is - notgoingtouni.co.uk - lots of advice on here on different options such as apprenticeships and jobs.

If you manage to get on an apprenticeship, there is nothing stopping you from doing your degree after this - then you will have some money behind you, lots of experience and possibly a better idea of the degree you would like to do and what career you would like to go in to. Your experience will also put you ahead of a lot of graduates coming out of UNI with no industry experience.

Hope some of that helps.

Thanks,

Adele
Thanks for getting back, it's getting on the right apprenticeship which is hard, i don't want to end up on an apprenticeship feeling the same but then i don't want to get a bad grade in the degree if i stay. i'm so confused right now with what i want to do. i've spoken to the advisors in uni they basically it's upto me what i want to do if i want to leave, doesn't help much.
william_94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
last year three of my friends managed to get apprenticeships after doing a Scottish NC. One of them actually does day release at uni and after about five year of uni (I think it is) he will get around 30k. The NC is maybe on paper around the equivalent level of an A level but I would imagine it would be easier and there was no end of year exam. Maybe you could do something similar and then try to get an apprenticeship or even a per-apprenticeship course first?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (140)
14.37%
I'm not sure (42)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (291)
29.88%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (476)
48.87%

Watched Threads