Tax breaks for married couples Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why on earth is this being mooted?

Married couples already benefit, financially, from sharing bills, rent, etc. Whereas, a single person has to shed out a lot more to live on their own.

What a disgraceful attack on a) the young who have yet to marry and b) people who do not want to marry/haven't met the right person.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's the Tory's/Lib Dems trotting out policies to pander to their core vote. This policy is solely designed to remind core-conservative voters that the Conservative party still holds up the ideals of the 1950's picture-box American dream style of social policy.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Why on earth is this being mooted?

Married couples already benefit, financially, from sharing bills, rent, etc. Whereas, a single person has to shed out a lot more to live on their own.

What a disgraceful attack on a) the young who have yet to marry and b) people who do not want to marry/haven't met the right person.
it depends on how you want to look at it. Some people will advocate the benefit of marriage/civil partners. As they as advocate it, they want to encourage it and one way of encouraging it is to give a financial reward in terms of tax breaks.

Personally, I don't see it as a bad thing. Working on the assumption that a married/civil partnership couple are saving the taxpayer money. I.e what's more cost effective for the taxpayer. A married family with three kids or a single mum with three kids from three different fathers?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
It's the Tory's/Lib Dems trotting out policies to pander to their core vote. This policy is solely designed to remind core-conservative voters that the Conservative party still holds up the ideals of the 1950's picture-box American dream style of social policy.
There's quite a few labour supporters who support this policy.
Seentje
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If this will help in convincing my boyfriend to marry me ASAP, I'm all for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.75%
Classical (49)
5.57%
Hip-Hop (169)
19.2%