Should weed be legal? Watch

MrMedicalMonk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Should weed be legalised in the UK for recreational purposes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Decriminalised, yes. Legalised? Debatable. The tax revenue would be a good source of income. But despite what pro-legislation supporters say weed is not harmless. Perhaps it might be less damaging than alcohol, but there is still scientific debate about its relation to triggering certain mental illnesses. Plus it can be psychologically addictive, and like all addictions it can ruin people's lives. However I think that legalisation, or at the very least decriminalisation is still the best policy.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This debate must appear weekly.

I think it should be decriminalised, but then it practically is - at least in the four main locations I live/study/work if the police catch people they just take it off them. I can't remember the last time I heard of someone actually being punished for it.

There are far worse legal drugs out there, and whilst that's not an excuse to decriminalise something else, I do believe drugs policies should be consistent with the evidence surround the individual substances.

I don't agree with Russell Brand on a lot of things, but he's spot on when he talks about the focus being completely wrong on drugs - people will do them whether they're legal or not; the challenge is providing rehabilitation and tactile support for those on addictive and harmful substances. We can debate the legality of a drug until the cows come home, but people will always get addicted and there will always be people wanting to come off.
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As has been said it should be either decriminalized or legalized. However, most pot heads are losers and they will continued to be so regardless.
MrMedicalMonk
Rep:
?
But do you all agree that it should be sold in shops?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Waste of taxpayer's money chasing stoners.
Charlzi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do not think it should be legalised or be sold in shops. From personal experience smoking weed on a regular basis will only lead to poor memory, over all tiredness, demotivation, anxiety, paranoia, depression, lack of money and more.
Gjaykay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MrMedicalMonk)
But do you all agree that it should be sold in shops?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it should be legal and yeah sold in shops, although I'd like it to eventually go to cafes like in Amsterdam, but I think that'll never happen due to the smoking ban.

It'd be taxed and therefore bring a massive amount of revenue. Just look at the projections for Colarado & Washington State. It reduces crime (by eliminating sketchy dealers) and reduces the cost of prosecuting weed dealers.

Although I have the theory that people would drink less if weed was legal, but I can't back that up. I also think it could help alcoholics stop drinking, once again I can't back that up, save from my own personal experience of drinking far less since weed has become more available to me.
FreedomCostsTax
Badges: 12
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Charlzi)
I do not think it should be legalised or be sold in shops. From personal experience smoking weed on a regular basis will only lead to poor memory, over all tiredness, demotivation, anxiety, paranoia, depression, lack of money and more.
So you think cigarettes should be illegal as well?
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I go to university in the Netherlands and i've not seen any negatives to it being readily available
Charlzi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FreedomCostsTax)
So you think cigarettes should be illegal as well?
Cigarettes do not have the same effect as weed does on a person.
bigwhalegambler
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes fam man on dat endo tree ini
FreedomCostsTax
Badges: 12
Report 6 years ago
Cigarettes do not have the same effect as weed does on a person.
Cigarettes can kill you though, so surely they are worse? Weed has never been the direct cause of anyone's death.
Delboy1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well obviously
Charlzi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FreedomCostsTax)
Cigarettes can kill you though, so surely they are worse? Weed has never been the direct cause of anyone's death.
However if the question about cigarretes were "Should they be legal" at a point in time in whcih they were illegal, I would also vote no. Why legalise something that is only gonna make people's lives worse? Its one thing taking it away from people when they are already severally dependant on them, but why give people them in the first place?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MrMedicalMonk)
Should weed be legal?
I hope not, it's a bloody pain getting rid of the ones in my garden without it being legal.
MrMedicalMonk
Rep:
?
Well cigarettes and alcohol plus legal drugs are a lot worse than weed in both the amount they are consumed and the effects. Weed contains THC so if hospitals gave out a tablet formation of THC people would take those and no one bats an eye lis.Where as you smoke a joint everybody looses their mind. (Joker quote

Posted from TSR Mobile
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Obviously, it should be.

The only reason why politicians continue with this charade is to satisfy old people who have been indoctrinated by years of propaganda and the tobacco industry.
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, these were clearly problems that Carl Sagan had an issue with.

Anyway, don't sell it in shops then. Sell them in Government distributaries where they can be regulated and taxed
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It almost already is - the laws make it almost impossible for any person who isn't in trouble all the time to be charged. Last I checked, you actually needed to have more than a few grams on you, and caught by a cop who wants to be a hassle and take things further, THREE TIMES before you can actually get a charge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (315)
65.76%
No (164)
34.24%

Watched Threads