judges in the uk/around the world: debate Watch

blytheyohannes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
there's no denying that judges are biased. their education, socialization, and their election/selection (most judges are old, middle to upper class, white men) means that they tend to side with previous existing social ideas and adhere to the dominant views of a society when deciding the ultimate verdict of a case.

but on the other hand, judges are supposed to be assumed as free of personal interest in biased interpretation one way or the other. also even if they are "biased," they are only so in contrast to those advocating extremely progressive changes when it comes to what out rights should be/the bill of rights. plus these judges aren't really biased so much as they are just unlikely to think social change is necessary or desirable. lastly, some judges will still be biased on many issues, but are willing to agree something is unwrong/unjust even it contradicts with what their general beliefs are. (FOR INSTANCE, lets assume a bunch of judges are very conservative and old fashioned/traditional...well there can still be an ideological divide amongst them on whether something like abortion is OK and some might even argue that it is).

given both sides of judges and their ideologies in regards to their ultimate verdicts, do you think they do more good than harm? and that they have too much power/just enough/not enough?

ps. sorry if this whole question was worded horribly. its late (or should i say very early?). im tired.
blytheyohannes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
ok sorry let me rephrase

given what we know about judges and how their ideologies will create their bias and influence their decisions...do you think judges do more harm than good when it comes to our rights and if the justice system is fair?
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seems fair to me that the best person who is most qualified for the job gets the job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.27%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (121)
17.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (68)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (214)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed