Hipsters debate

Watch
WebKoala
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
First of all before posting understand differences between counter culture or being indepenant and those "We want to have our own thing and nicking people's subcultures" hipsters.
The Angry Stoic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
White Muslim converts are so hipster.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very engaging debate, OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oliver Queen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everything has been done before. Hipster is just a shorter version of the phrase 'attention seeking muppet'.

Society went through a phase where so many people wanted to blend in and they did to conform to accepted ways. Some people still do. Then everyone started this motivational cliched quote rubbish telling everyone to be unique and stand out and be different. So loads of people went to the opposite end of the spectrum and started dressing and acting in absurd ways to be different and come across as unique with their own style.

Why not just act like yourself without trying to blend in or stand out? Too many people trying too hard.
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do hipsters still exist?
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
Do hipsters still exist?
Tumblr's still around, so I'd say so yeah
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by + polarity -)
Tumblr's still around, so I'd say so yeah
That's the internet, though. I meant in real life.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
That's the internet, though. I meant in real life.
Mate go to Camden or even brick lane and you'll have your question answered. Or any kid doing art courses from college onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
Mate go to Camden or even brick lane and you'll have your question answered. Or any kid doing art courses from college onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah fair, I do know a few art students.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not really sure what a hipster looks/acts like (compared to someone adopting some other pretentious subculture). I hear the term often enough applied to anyone with a silly 'vintage' bike or huge glasses that they don't need, but apart from that I have no idea.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't understand what we're debating.
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
I don't understand what we're debating.
The hipster culture.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kidomo)
The hipster culture.
What about it?
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't even know what a hipster is. Once someone called me a hipster for liking Jeff Buckley, they essentially said that anyone that likes Jeff Buckley can't possibly like him for any sincere reason. People always seem to use that word when someone likes something that they do not, it's an inferiority complex, people trying to justify their own opinion by stamping down on someone else that doesn't act like them.
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
I don't even know what a hipster is. Once someone called me a hipster for liking Jeff Buckley, they essentially said that anyone that likes Jeff Buckley can't possibly like him for any sincere reason. People always seem to use that word when someone likes something that they do not, it's an inferiority complex, people trying to justify their own opinion by stamping down on someone else that doesn't act like them.
I know the feeling. I love Jeff Buckley but never been called a Hipster for liking him though.

I get called a Hipster because I wear glasses, love Joy Division and I usually wear my Smiths or other 80s bands tops.

I wouldn't say I am a Hipster. To me a hipster is someone who goes out of their way to like things that no one has ever heard of, wears those massive thick rimmed glasses,only eat organic products, are vegetarians, studies something art related and of course, they have every Apple product on the market!
h198gb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh man, Hipsters.
Most I've seen online act depressed, and cut for attention. I don't understand.
Plus, the actions of some others are just outrageous, wearing pants the other way round? That's not even unique, it's stupidity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads