Does anyone else think the word limit for AS CW is too low? Watch

Alevelstudent96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
1000 words for AS level seems a bit low to me. Maybe at GCSE level it is suitable but AS - surely it should be higher? About three or four lines consists of 100 words. You can only have 10x of this. It just doesn't seem adequate enough.

I've found it incredibly difficult cutting down my CW. I know if someone goes over the word count by quite a bit they're probably waffling but surely when it comes to English Lit, particularly at A-Level analysing to a great detail should be reasonable.
Alevelstudent96
Rep:
?
Okay maybe three lines was an exaggeration, about 5 - 6 lines consists of 100 words. Still, I stand by my point.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what exam board are you talking about?
Sir Killalot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I remember for part of my PE coursework I had to write a study on Basketball in America in under 1000 words. This had to comprise of the history, current professional leagues, the college and youth systems, international basketball and other stuff like demographics of the country.
It was basically impossible to write all of that in 1000 words.
goodmorningworld
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree, my A2 coursework for History is double that word count - 2000 words - but in it I have to assess the significance of 8 German leaders across one hundred years as well as leaving room for an introduction and conclusion - that leaves 200 words per person. Writing about how important Hitler was in what amounts to about two short paragraphs was especially challenging!
Alevelstudent96
Rep:
?
(Original post by tgwktm)
what exam board are you talking about?
AQA. It's probably more or less similar across the boards however.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
mine was on AQA and our word limit was 2000 words but that included 2 pieces we had to write. I felt the amount was good for me however, if i was allowed an extra 500 words there would have been so much more i could have added
Student_27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Word counts aren't just put in place just for the sake of it; it's so that people don't go overboard and write 10 pages and also they're to challenge people to keep to them, too.

They wouldn't put a word count of 1000 in a coursework essay if they knew it was impossible for people to write an essay of that length that's really good. Also, it's only on one text and you're supposed to be concise - ish!

I did AS lit last year and I found it hard to keep within in and I did go a little over it but it doesn't really matter too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
imjustrach
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi A2 student here!

The point of AS is be as concise as possible which is why the word count is as low as it is, I know it seems really annoying but it also gears you up to doing nothing but answering the question at hand. It's like when people start A levels they just want to tell the examiner EVERYTHING they know but that's not what they want, so the word count forces you to focus on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (903)
79.91%
Leave (227)
20.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed