Why did reform happen in Britain in 1832? Watch

dgham
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
1832 is the only reform act in the 19th/20th century that I'm a little puzzled by. I'm fully aware of everything that happened, but I'd like opinions on whether the Whigs introduced reform because of threat of revolution, to preserve their position of power, or meritocracy? Or something else? I'm leaning towards reform to preserve, seeing as they had just finally broken the Tories' stranglehold of power, and wanted to gain support.

Thanks!
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The threat of revolution is definitely a factor- this was around the time of the June/July uprising in France

Also worth considering is that it was a way to bring the middle classes 'on-side' and alienate the working classes, thus destroying any chance of a coherent working and middle class demand for serious reform being raised. Essentially it was concede a little or face having to concede much greater

Also the whigs were genuine supporters or reform and by enfranchising the middle classes they would be hoping that they would be shown gratitude by the middle classes in the next election as they would 'in theory' vote for them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%