What do you feel when you meet someone smarter than yourself? Watch

UncleSam.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It doesn't happen often to me, if I'm honest, but what do the rest of you feel when you meet someone obviously smarter?

A/ Anxious

B/ Challenged

C/ In awe

D/ any other feeling

Hopefully, if I do get a reply to this, it won't be a so called witty reply from some comedian. I just want serious replies.
h198gb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nothing really, they're smarter than me, I should look up to them.
Nightowk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try learn from them.
Pariah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i'll let you know when it happens
wnee-hee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest I'm one of those people who is secretly competitive
JungleeBilli
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anxious because at any point in time, they're going to challenge me.
UncleSam.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Nightowk)
Try learn from them.
Good advice.
(Original post by Pariah)
i'll let you know when it happens
It has.
(Original post by wnee-hee)
You can be as competitive and as smart as you want, but there's still someone smarter out there.
Ladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Reassure myself that I could reach their level easily if I really wanted
User1310602
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it's a guy: Slightly turned on.
ThoughtIsFree
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
D/ doesn't make much of a significance in my life. although i do admire people who are really talented at something, if they're nice people too
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UncleSam.)
It doesn't happen often to me, if I'm honest, but what do the rest of you feel when you meet someone obviously smarter?
How old are you? If this is true, you must either be a university professor or a ****. You meet smarter people than yourself everyday, even the smartest experience this.
Tai Ga
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Learn from them really.
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
those Asians....
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wnee-hee)
Same here. It becomes my mission be be better so jealousy drives me forward.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends if they're a douche about it or not.

But certainly if there's someone smarter than me in my work I'll try and learn something from them. If it's just generally in my social life, I don't think I'd feel anything in particular about it.
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm really happy when I do. Usually when I do meet someone smarter, I always aspire to be like them and end up improving my own intelligence in the process.

This is why I left my old school and went to a very reputable sixth form with very high pass rates. Initially, everyone was smarter than me but that only made me more determined to be like them and I inadvertently worked harder, achieving similar grades I otherwise wouldn't have achieved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty indifferent to be honest. If they're arrogant then obviously that changes quickly
ash92:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Smarter as in intellectually?

Urm...I guess...respectful? Unless the person is an absolute turd upon thames, that is (please refer to definition #5 in the following: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=turd)
damnation
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UncleSam.)

A/ Anxious

B/ Challenged

C/ In awe

D/ any other feeling

Hopefully, if I do get a reply to this, it won't be a so called witty reply from some comedian. I just want serious replies.
I really push myself to be as clever and analytical as I can, so although I don't often come across people who are 'obviously smarter', I do sometimes pick up on excellent, detailed logic, some really deep thoughts i never came across, and unique ways of people looking at things. That kind of thing makes me realize some people have such potential and I honestly do get really jealous since my role models are all such people older than me. of course i can't be bitter and try to pick up on how they do it , and ask them, but I really admire people like that. However it's a shame because they initially surprise me when I know how they can think but then two seconds later and they're back to cussing at people or being shallow and inconsiderate and I realize they can't apply their intelligence to all aspects of their life. That's how it's not obvious when people are smart.. but i do try my best to do what they do, and collect different insights.
Vixen47
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise